Since the road rage thread has devolved I'll tell my story...

Old September 9th 04, 03:31 PM
amh

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
amh wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote in message

[...]

||| And what about joggers? When I'm riding on a wide shoulder (beyond
||| the
||| white line) and there is a jogger on my side of the road coming at
||| me....well, I just wait 'til it's and move out into the lane...but
||| I always
||| wonder if the the jogger should be there...
|| Runners (sorry I can't call myself a jogger) are instructed to run on
|| the side facing traffic. This is so we can see any cars coming at us.
|| Since we move much slower it is easier for us to manouver and get out
|| of the way.

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the use of the wrong term -- I'm not sure
what the difference is.

Visit rec.running we debate it once a month or so.

|| When I'm running on a road and see a cyclist coming towards me I move
|| away from the traffic to the side of the road. In cases where I can I
|| will move on to the sidewalk to allow a group of cyclists or single
|| cyclist pass on a busy road. In general I try to allow the cyclist to
|| pass without moving into traffic.

Interesting. This past Sat. I runner was approaching me. He moved out into
the middle of the lane and let me stay on the shoulder. I guess he could
see that no traffic was approaching where I could not without turning my
head. Of course, I would have moved out into the lane had he not moved
before me.

Right, the one who can see the traffic should be the one to move. But
crossing in front of a cyclist I don't think is a good idea. It is
just an odd movement since the cyclist's instinct is to move more out
into traffic. Eventually the two could be on the opposite shoulder.

Enjoy the ride,
Andy

|| As the original poster pointed out there are all sorts out there.
|| Many
|| of whom believe they have rights to the entire roadway. It is up to
|| us (cyclists and runners) to be careful and not expect anybody using
|| the
|| road (runners, walkers, people in cars, wheelchairs, skiers, bladers)
|| to yield to us.

Right. Thanks.