'Bent coverage in "Bicycling"?

Old October 13th 05, 02:27 AM

Default 'Bent coverage in "Bicycling"?

Has "Bicycling" caught onto the 'bent scene yet? Do they give regular
coverage to new bike models coming out from major builders? Do they
give overviews and reviews of types of 'bents? ---Like do they have
recumbent trikes shootouts and such? These bikes are coming on so
strong these days that you'd think Bicycling would want in on the
action or be left behind. It seemed like there were over 100 'bents at
the last big century ride I did. More than tandems, and there were a
lot of them, too. --JP

Old October 13th 05, 04:16 AM
Capri

Jeff

I don't think "bicycling" will ever carry any extensive info aboout
recumbent bikes. now and then they have an article or two but its not
much, never has been, probably never will be. You say these bikes are
coming on strong these days...Huh? Maybe where you live but here in
Florida I rarely ever see another bent while out on a ride. The shops
have a couple of them in the corner but are still mostly all mountain
and road bikes. I did the MS150 in Sept and out of 1500 riders I don't
think there were 5 bents. Which is really kind strange cause the flat
land here is ideally suited to bent riding.

Phil
Longbikes Vanguard

Old October 17th 05, 07:44 PM

Jeff, some years ago "Bicycling" was run by a fairly recumbent-friendly
editor. I cannot remember his name! Any help here? Anyway, Rodale
Press, the publisher, did a major house cleaning at "Bicycling". The
editor and others were out. That was effectively the end of their
"limited" coverage of bents.

Jim Reilly
Reading, PA

Old October 18th 05, 05:04 PM

I wonder how the sales volume of Sevens and Calfees compare to Volae
and Bacchetta.

Does anyone know if V and B have gotten decently extensive reviews in
Bicycling?

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com

Old October 24th 05, 03:09 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Jim Reilly wrote:

some years ago "Bicycling" was run by a fairly recumbent-friendly
editor. I cannot remember his name! Any help here?

He was Ed Pavelka.

Anyway, Rodale Press, the publisher, did a major house cleaning
at "Bicycling". The editor and others were out. That was
effectively the end of their "limited" coverage of bents.

The technical editor Jim Langley wrote a number of glowing reviews of
'bents for _Bicycling_ during the Nineties, but he was one of those
canned by Rodale in early '99.

Old October 24th 05, 03:21 PM

Jim Langley was the guy I was thinking of.

Jim Reilly

Old October 30th 05, 08:40 PM
Osgood Z'beard

Capri wrote:
Jeff

I don't think "bicycling" will ever carry any extensive info aboout
recumbent bikes. now and then they have an article or two but its not
much, never has been, probably never will be. You say these bikes are
coming on strong these days...Huh? Maybe where you live but here in
Florida I rarely ever see another bent while out on a ride. The shops
have a couple of them in the corner but are still mostly all mountain
and road bikes. I did the MS150 in Sept and out of 1500 riders I don't
think there were 5 bents. Which is really kind strange cause the flat
land here is ideally suited to bent riding.

I only saw one BikeE in Key West when I was there last year, but that's
understandable in a way because there isn't much open road in Key West.
The most extensive cycling I did there was in a pedal-powered kayak.
In addition Floridians are notoriously bad drivers, so riding a 'bent or
about any other sort of bike is taking a big risk. I don't really know
why driving skills are so bad but (though I hate to say it) it might be
due to the average age of the drivers. Plus the fact that the theft is
epidemic there, so any reasonably nice bike you might have won't last
long. My brother in law left his yellow beach cruiser unlocked in his
garage for 20 minutes, and when he went back downstairs it was already
gone. How long could a decent bike with decent components last in that
environment? I'd really have to think twice about riding a well-endowed
'bent in Florida. Waste of money.

Phil
Longbikes Vanguard