General tire issue, major hassle

Old October 19th 05, 05:24 PM
Jeff Wills

Default General tire issue, major hassle

Jon Meinecke wrote:
Getting tires onto and off of the rims on my Volae is a
major production. Two different brands of tires, the
original Contis and replacement Kendas are just very
tight.

Jon- it's not the tires or the rims- it's the rim strips. When you're
removing or installing a tire, the bead needs to go to the center of
the rim, where its diameter is smaller, so you can pull the bead over
the edge of the rim. If you've got a thick cloth rim strip in there, it
will make the diameter too large to get the bead off or on the rim
easily. A thin plastic rimstrip or Velocity's Veloplugs should help, or
in extreme cases you can substitute two or three layers of
fiberglass-reinforced straping tape.

A few years ago I had a narrow 17" rim on the front of my Lightning.
The only way I could get a tire on or off was by using the strapping
tape trick.

Jeff

Old October 19th 05, 05:48 PM
gotbent

I think if the rim strip is the correct width, the thickness shouldn't make
much difference. The rim tape just keeps the tube from extruding itself into
the spoke ends and IIRC from some cross section drawings I've seen, the bead
shouldn't contact the tape at all.
"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 05:55 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Jeff Wills" wrote

Jon- it's not the tires or the rims- it's the rim strips. When you're
removing or installing a tire, the bead needs to go to the center of
the rim, where its diameter is smaller, so you can pull the bead over
the edge of the rim. If you've got a thick cloth rim strip in there, it
will make the diameter too large to get the bead off or on the rim
easily. A thin plastic rimstrip

I'll double check next time I have to change the tube/tire.
hopefully sometime a long time from now! %^) I'm almost
sure the rim tape is the thin plastic variety.

or Velocity's Veloplugs should help,

I'll look for those.

Thanks,

Jon Meinecke

Old October 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Mark Leuck

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1129720989.f30940404f919567b797609337b0b39d@t eranews...
"Mark Leuck" wrote

I've had quite a lesson these last 2 weeks changing tires, (5 flats) I

5 in two weeks beats my record of 4 in two weeks, but I once
had three out of four of the tires flat on two different bikes in two
days including a sidewall blowout. I had previously gone more
than a year without changing a tube on the road.

Well in my case it was mostly my stupidity, I had just changed from my last
set of Vrederstein S-Licks which lasted over 9,500 trouble-free miles. I
have learned in these last 2 weeks (actually it's been about a month)

1. Tire tape exists for a reason and it should be changed
2. Don't use a tire that has a slight cut going all the way through without
patching it.

The funny part is I hadn't had a flat in over a year and a half and to date
any flat I have had has been within 1 mile of my home or truck, never been
nailed yet out in the middle of nowhere

Old October 20th 05, 03:07 AM
Victor Kan

rBOB wrote:
I empathize. I am cheap too. That's one reason I dislike oddball wheel
sizes but I don't know much about these bikes and I am sure there is a
reason for selecting that size. 650B is another size that seems all the
rage in the upright bike world now. Beats me why though.

Is it actually "all the rage", or is it being talked about by a few
folks as if it could/should be?

From what I've read, mainly from Sheldon Brown, his interview with
Grant Peterson of Rivendell (see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/podcasts/grantpetersen.html), and arguments
about it in the rec.bicycles.* groups, the attraction is that you can
take a 622/700c road bike that isn't very appropriate for comfort riding
in all conditions (e.g. minimal tire clearance, no provisions for
fenders) and for an investment of a new set of wheels, maybe new long
reach brakes and maybe a new fork, you can use 584/650B tires that can
be much fatter (giving a cushier ride), yet still fit a 700c frame/fork
at the same effective tire/wheel diameter.

QBP is getting in on the act, offering tires, tubes and bikes using this
size, but skeptics look at this as a solution looking for a problem,
especially as it pertains to new bikes (vs. retrofits).

An answer to that is that it's a good in between size bridging 559/26"
bikes with road tires and 622/700c bikes.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a common wheel size in my fleet, but it's
already too late for me.

I've got bikes/trikes with 622/451, 406/406/406, 622/622, 571/571,
559/559. Why not throw a 584/584 in there? :-) Seriously though, I
doubt I'd get a new 584/584 bike since for the roads I ride and the
622/622 bike I have, I don't need super fat tires and that bike already
has fender clearance.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old October 20th 05, 12:58 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Victor Kan" wrote

I've got bikes/trikes with 622/451, 406/406/406, 622/622, 571/571,
559/559. Why not throw a 584/584 in there? :-)

Do you know Marci? %^)

Keeping spares for tubes and tires for the family's bikes can be a
challenge. Some bikes have more than one configuration depending
on time of year or planned usage. 7 bikes have 5 different rim
sizes and 10 different tube/tire sizes for 4 people. %^P

349 (wide)
406 (narrow, medium, and wide)
559 (narrow/slick and wide/knobby)
571 (narrow)
622 (narrow, medium, and wide)

Of these, only the 571s have been very difficult to mount...

Jon Meinecke

Old October 20th 05, 01:32 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Mark Leuck" wrote

The funny part is I hadn't had a flat in over a year and a half and to

date
any flat I have had has been within 1 mile of my home or truck, never been
nailed yet out in the middle of nowhere

Captors of free air, beware. The P*nct*re Fairy is vain and
capricious. She is planter of goatheads and p*nct*re vine,
scatterer of glass and road debris, in league with the demon
steel-belted-tire-wire gremlin.

She is ever wont to thwart our best pneumatic intentions.
Slowly and subtlety or suddenly, explosively, she has her ways.
Appeasement is not possible, though many practice certain
secret rites with incantations in Italian and offerings of Kevlar,
Slime, and endless patching.

Jon Meinecke

Old October 20th 05, 03:56 PM
Robert Milligan

I use folding tires on 650 rims
Bob Milligan FORCE 5 XP

Old October 20th 05, 11:26 PM
gotbent

I've got bikes/trikes with 622/451, 406/406/406, 622/622, 571/571,
559/559. Why not throw a 584/584 in there? :-) Seriously though, I doubt
I'd get a new 584/584 bike since for the roads I ride and the 622/622 bike
I have, I don't need super fat tires and that bike already has fender
clearance.

584 (650B) is a bad choice. It's been tough (impossible?) to get a tire and
rim to fit properly. I bought new 584 rims, and bought tires from England,
but I can't seat the tires so that they don't blow off the rims, so now my
Raleigh Portage sits in my son's storage space. When the bike was new there
wasn't a problem, even for a few years after as Giant used that size. Even
though the Portage was a sweet touring frame the tire issue makes that moot
Changing to a more common size wheel and having a frame maker braze on new
brake studs seemed like a too expensive solution. Now I think I've turned
the boy onto the dark side by letting him have a few rides on the V-REX. Now
he's talking about getting a Cattrike. Hope he lets me have a ride or two on
that.

Old October 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Jon Meinecke wrote:
Actually, they are 650c rims/tires. Velocity Uriel wheels and
Conti Gatorskin tires as well as Kenda Koncept tires. Tires
are narrow (23) as are rims.

While the bead seat diameter may be the same as a 650C tire, i.e.
571-mm, it is not a true 650C wheel/tire combination unless the rolling
diameter is actually 650-mm. For 23-mm width tires, the rolling
diameter will be considerably less than 650-mm.

To avoid this error, refer to the tire size by its ISO designation,
i.e. 23-571, and to the rim as a 571-mm size.

Pedantically yours,
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley