Weird exploding tires

Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

Hello All

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I believe I now have the answer. It's a
problem with the rim.

I went back to the bike shop. Without even looking at it, a technician there
said it was the rim. He was so sure, he said he would not even try mounting
the tire for me for fear it would blow out in the shop. Skeptical, since the
last tire held fine, I had them give me a new set of tires - a different
brand and configuration - 90 lb tires instead of 105, a rough bead and not
Kevlar. The front seated nice and tight into the rim, but I could not get
the rear one to sit low in the rim once it was pressured up - no matter how
much I fiddled with it. After gradually bringing it up to 90 lbs (I actually
used earplugs and left both rims outside) -- 20 minutes later ... KABOOM!!!
Tube number three bits the dust.

SOOOOO... now I have to figure out what to do. My front rim (a different
brand and age) is steel. No point in getting one alloy rim, so unless I can
still find a cheap steel one, I guess it's time to replace both rim, now
that I just repacked both hubs :O( I don't even know what size rims to put
on this. I have a road bike with 700s on it. Maybe I'll try those rims on
and seeing how it lines up with the brakes. A lot of work for a 30 year
old, $79 10-speed.

Thanks again everyone.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

snip

Old August 24th 04, 03:22 AM
Frank Krygowski

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

Hello All

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I believe I now have the answer. It's a
problem with the rim.

I went back to the bike shop. Without even looking at it, a technician there
said it was the rim. He was so sure, he said he would not even try mounting
the tire for me for fear it would blow out in the shop. Skeptical, since the
last tire held fine, I had them give me a new set of tires - a different
brand and configuration - 90 lb tires instead of 105, a rough bead and not
Kevlar. The front seated nice and tight into the rim, but I could not get
the rear one to sit low in the rim once it was pressured up - no matter how
much I fiddled with it. After gradually bringing it up to 90 lbs (I actually
used earplugs and left both rims outside) -- 20 minutes later ... KABOOM!!!
Tube number three bits the dust.

Well, now we know for sure. Reports like this do teach us things.

SOOOOO... now I have to figure out what to do. My front rim (a different
brand and age) is steel. No point in getting one alloy rim, so unless I can
still find a cheap steel one, I guess it's time to replace both rim, now
that I just repacked both hubs

I wouldn't use steel rims, unless I lived in someplace as dry as Nevada.
With steel rims, the braking in the wet scary-dismal. I know that by
experience.

:O( I don't even know what size rims to put
on this. I have a road bike with 700s on it. Maybe I'll try those rims on
and seeing how it lines up with the brakes. A lot of work for a 30 year
old, $79 10-speed.

It may be worth the time to troll the thrift stores and garage sales for
a while. You might be able to find a very inexpensive used bike with
decent aluminum-rimmed wheels.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 24th 04, 04:07 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Thanks Frank

But after this experience, I done with used rims. Ain't worth my ears or my
nerves :O(

Old August 24th 04, 04:24 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:07:47 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
wrote:

Thanks Frank

But after this experience, I done with used rims. Ain't worth my ears or my
nerves :O(

All rims are used, as soon as they've been on a bike once. Some are
just more used than others. I've seen numerous $20 road bikes with
aluminum 27" rims showing little or no wear on bikes at Goodwill in
the past several months. Since I have no need for another road or
touring bike right now, I have been passing them up.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 24th 04, 04:27 AM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:59:24 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
wrote:

[...]

Wait a minute. I thought you had originally said that the front and
rear rims were the same; had the rear perhaps been swapped out at some
point? What you're describing here sounds very much as though the
rear was a 700C rim with a 27" tire on it; that's consistent with the
results you describe.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 24th 04, 01:06 PM
Gawnsoft

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:22:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote (more or less):

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:

[...]

It's certainly how I got my 'car drove into me at speed' story. Mind
you, I wan't wearing a helmet, so I'm probably no longer with you to
post this... ;-)

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Old August 24th 04, 04:44 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

Actually, I had forgotten that over the years, I had replaced each of the
rims at different times. The back one is stamped prominently in the steel -
"RIGIDA 18*630 (27 1 1/4) 32 92 21 STEEL MADE IN FRANCE"

The scary thing is there is no way, looking at this rim, that you would
suspect any problem. Anyone want to buy a used rim :O)

--

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:59:24 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"

snip

Old August 24th 04, 04:46 PM
Anthony Giorgianni

Oh, and I did buy both rims new.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
"Anthony Giorgianni"
wrote in message
Actually, I had forgotten that over the years, I had replaced each of the
rims at different times. The back one is stamped prominently in the

steel -
"RIGIDA 18*630 (27 1 1/4) 32 92 21 STEEL MADE IN FRANCE"

The scary thing is there is no way, looking at this rim, that you would
suspect any problem. Anyone want to buy a used rim :O)

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting

back
to the newsgroup.

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:59:24 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"

snip

Old September 7th 04, 01:08 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Don't think anyone still is watching this thread... but just in case anyone
ever Googles it ....

I ended up getting a replacement steel rim 27 1/4 for $30. Just couldn't
justify getting two new alloys for this old bike. 95 pound tube has been on
for at least a week and holds just fine!!!!! So it looks like it was the
rim - just couldn't hold a tire any longer.

Thanks again everyone.

Old September 7th 04, 01:08 AM
Anthony Giorgianni

Don't think anyone still is watching this thread... but just in case anyone
ever Googles it ....

I ended up getting a replacement steel rim 27 1/4 for $30. Just couldn't
justify getting two new alloys for this old bike. 95 pound tube has been on
for at least a week and holds just fine!!!!! So it looks like it was the
rim - just couldn't hold a tire any longer.

Thanks again everyone.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill General 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM