bike messenger bags?

Old September 5th 04, 10:17 PM
occupant

wle wrote:

what is the deal with bike messenger/courier bags?

i mean, with the one strap slung diagonally across your chest.

how are they better than a regular backpack?

seems to me like they would always be trying to rotate
so that the pack would be in your way.

wle.

Well, I read the replies with interest. I am a old guy who has never
been a courier. I have a timbuktu bag that I have used. The one
difference from it and other bags is that it is waterproof. So when I
am out with a Camera, it is my choice. Every other backpack or bag of
any description is not waterproof so I have to cover with a garbage bag
or wear the backpack under my gortex rain jacket. Yes, it looks very
weird. Panniers are fine (rubberized waterproof) for the long hall,
long trips but a pain to put on and off as it can affect adjustments to
them and the rear shifter if you are not careful.

Like software for a computer, if you are an avid cyclist or commuter,
you will require different bags
for different weather and different weights, loads and shapes. My
favourite is to carry as small a bag as possible when I commute. A
favourite is to wear small ducktape rolls on my wrist(s) and just grab a
box from
wherever (store) and tape the box and its contents to my bike.

Old September 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Richard Amirault

"occupant" wrote ...
(snip)
Panniers are fine (rubberized waterproof) for the long hall,
long trips but a pain to put on and off as it can affect adjustments to
them and the rear shifter if you are not careful.

When I commute I attach and remove my panniers _every_day_ with no problems.
Been doing that for years now.

Like software for a computer, if you are an avid cyclist or commuter,
you will require different bags
for different weather and different weights, loads and shapes.

(snip)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA