redoing old Cannondale R-600

Old September 4th 04, 03:13 AM
Carl Sickerott

Default redoing old Cannondale R-600

I'm looking to upgrade my shifters (getting to old to bend over every
time I want to shift). Problem is I have 2X7 Shimano 105 set, and want
to switch to brake/shifter. Someone suggested Shimano Sora as an
alternative, but having problems tracking one down. Ideally I could
hope for an older (first generation) Shimano indexed 105 brake lever
shifter, but they are rarer that chicken teeth. I won't part with this
bike for anything, as I bought it in 1988, and have over 100k miles on
it. Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Carl
Old September 4th 04, 04:28 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 02:13:33 GMT, Carl Sickerott
wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my shifters (getting to old to bend over every
time I want to shift). Problem is I have 2X7 Shimano 105 set, and want
to switch to brake/shifter. Someone suggested Shimano Sora as an
alternative, but having problems tracking one down. Ideally I could
hope for an older (first generation) Shimano indexed 105 brake lever
shifter, but they are rarer that chicken teeth. I won't part with this
bike for anything, as I bought it in 1988, and have over 100k miles on
it. Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Carl

If the rear spacing is 126 mm, then I don't know if it is safe to
spread a Cannondale frame to the 130 mm you will need for 8/9/10
speeds. If you can spread it, then a new freehub body, some redishing
of the wheel, and off you go to buy whatever recent shifter you want.

If respacing is an issue, then look at this-

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#up7

Put 8 of 9 cogs on your 7-speed hub and you can use a recent 9 speed
setup and get 8 gears.

Harris Cyclery/Sheldon Brown is a good source for parts to do any of
these changes. Yellow Jersey also has older parts and is experienced
in making older bikes work-

http://www.yellowjersey.org/

One way or another, either locally or on the internet, try to hook up
with a bike shop that is willing to make the effort to keep your frame
going.

Old September 4th 04, 06:17 AM
Carl Sickerott

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feed back. I'm working with a shop, and they suggested
getting on the newsgroup. They, like myself, are hesitant, to try and
spread the frame. They suggested the Sora, as it is available in 2X7
shifters. But like most of Shimano parts, they seem to be hard to
comeby at present. I will try the two leads that you suggested. Thanks
again

Carl

Old September 4th 04, 08:19 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:17:25 GMT, Carl Sickerott
wrote:

Thanks for the feed back. I'm working with a shop, and they suggested
getting on the newsgroup. They, like myself, are hesitant, to try and
spread the frame. They suggested the Sora, as it is available in 2X7
shifters. But like most of Shimano parts, they seem to be hard to
comeby at present. I will try the two leads that you suggested. Thanks
again

Carl

I'd do the 8 of 9 on a 7-speed hub if I was you. 9-speed shifters are
easy to find, and can be moved to another bike or sold much easier
than 8 or 7 speed.

Old September 4th 04, 10:54 PM
Peter Cole

"Carl Sickerott" wrote in message
I'm looking to upgrade my shifters (getting to old to bend over every
time I want to shift). Problem is I have 2X7 Shimano 105 set, and want
to switch to brake/shifter. Someone suggested Shimano Sora as an
alternative, but having problems tracking one down. Ideally I could
hope for an older (first generation) Shimano indexed 105 brake lever
shifter, but they are rarer that chicken teeth. I won't part with this
bike for anything, as I bought it in 1988, and have over 100k miles on
it. Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated.

You can put a 8/9 speed freehub body on your current hub, 4mm doesn't require
a frame spread. If you like your current brake levers you could consider
indexed bar-ends. If you can't find a freehub sold separately, get any kind of
Shimano rear hub & use its freehub body (cones, balls & axle too, if you
wish).

Old September 7th 04, 03:41 PM
DJA

on 9/3/2004 10:13 PM Carl Sickerott said the following:
I'm looking to upgrade my shifters (getting to old to bend over every
time I want to shift). Problem is I have 2X7 Shimano 105 set, and want
to switch to brake/shifter. Someone suggested Shimano Sora as an
alternative, but having problems tracking one down. Ideally I could
hope for an older (first generation) Shimano indexed 105 brake lever
shifter, but they are rarer that chicken teeth. I won't part with this
bike for anything, as I bought it in 1988, and have over 100k miles on
it. Any help, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Carl

For my upgrade project, someone suggested SORA STI brifters from Harris
Cycle...

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters

--
David