My homemade bicycle widgetry

Old September 5th 04, 10:31 PM
pam_in_sc

Raoul Duke wrote:
I can't imagine why you would want to strap a clipboard on to your bike.
Can't you just keep the map in your pocket, and when you wanted to refer to
it, just take it out and look at it? Seems like overkill to me.

I love my BarMap ( http://www.cycoactive.com/bike/bmh.html ). When
following a cue sheet for a route I really like knowing what is coming
up and not having to stop to check. Despite using graduated bifocals I
find I can read a cue sheet while riding.

Pam

Old September 6th 04, 12:04 AM
Fred Hall

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Folks,

A long while back I asked for ideas about handlebar-mounted maps, and a
short while back I asked about a non-crappy mirror. Neither of these
queries resulted in any commercial products that seemed to be what I
wanted, meaning that I had an excuse to make the widgetry myself.

I made a map holder and a rear-view mirror mount and would like to share
them with the group. Pics are available at:

http://reidster.net/pics/2004-09-05/

Comments and questions welcome.

Reid

If I were to mount a clipboard on my bike (which I wouldn't - but hey -
that's me) I think I would have used a plastic or lucite clipboard as
opposed to one of those old particleboard ones. The plastic ones would
shed the rain (or road water) better...I think the one you have will soak up
water and expand and crumble.

Old September 6th 04, 12:36 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:31:40 -0400, pam_in_sc
wrote:

Raoul Duke wrote:
I can't imagine why you would want to strap a clipboard on to your bike.
Can't you just keep the map in your pocket, and when you wanted to refer to
it, just take it out and look at it? Seems like overkill to me.

I love my BarMap ( http://www.cycoactive.com/bike/bmh.html ). When
following a cue sheet for a route I really like knowing what is coming
up and not having to stop to check. Despite using graduated bifocals I
find I can read a cue sheet while riding.

Pam

That's kinda cool. How does it attach to the bar?

-B

Old September 6th 04, 06:01 PM
Mike

In article , Fred Hall wrote:
[...]

And with small cue sheets you can see through to watch your tire rolling along.

Old September 6th 04, 09:32 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:02:39 -0700, Raoul Duke wrote:

I can't imagine why you would want to strap a clipboard on to your bike.
Can't you just keep the map in your pocket, and when you wanted to refer
to it, just take it out and look at it? Seems like overkill to me.

Before I kept it in my trunk bag. The convenience of having it available
right in front of my face at every intersection (it's not really intended
for reading while riding) is indeed a big win.

The BarMap does look handy. I'll have to look into it.

Plus, honestly, it doesn't do much for the appearance of your bike, if
that means anything at all to you.

Nope, that doesn't bother me at all. Besides, the crazier I look, the
wider berth I get from drivers, right?

And don't you think it will have an adverse impact from an aerodynamic
standpoint?

Yes, but not a significant one for my purposes. The bike started out at 24
pounds anyway, and there's a lot of other stuff I could do that I haven't,
including leaving the extra water and tools at home, to improve
performance.

Reid

Old September 6th 04, 09:35 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:00:46 -0700, Dan Daniel wrote:

What is the glue holding the aluminum bar to the clipboard?

It's JB-Kwik epoxy.

Personally, I'd reinforce that with bolts. Vibrations can be nasty on
any glue on a bike, and having the clipboard fall into the wheel could
be distracting at the least.

Hmmm, good point. Bolts would get in the way I think, but I'll do
something to keep it out of my wheel if it does come off.

Thanks,

Reid