U-build it...

Old October 20th 05, 01:32 AM

Default U-build it...

Good going!
Looks like a sensible commuter design.
How much does it weigh?
Where did you get the seat and seat foam?

It weighs about 34 lbs. I attribute a few pounds of that to the extra
hardware involved in suspension and mid-drive with gear shifting.
There is still a pound or two of foam inside the frame that I may
remove over winter.

I ride it to school everyday (about 10 miles RT), carrying up to 20
lbs of books and haven't had any problems other than a couple bad
inner tubes blowing out.

I ride off curbs without thinking twice. I haven't tried riding up
one yet. I'm no fool!

The seat is a carbon fiber M5 seat that I purchased used for $150
including the foam pad. The pad is a dual layer thing- about 3/8"
closed cell foam against the seat and about 1" of open cell "filter"
foam that breathes. I got a deal on that stuff! I think the new
price is about $400 for the seat and pad.

Since I have full suspension, I may be able to reduce the padding on
the seat a bit. I am thinking of trying a foam camping mattress cut
to fit. It will probably be too sweaty, though. As it is, when the
bike gets rained on the seat pad fills up with water. I need to make
a cover or carry a garbage bag for when it is parked.