About indoor training

Old December 1st 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

Default About indoor training

Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?
Old December 1st 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Rex Crater

Get a Power Tap.
Get some cycling DVDs.
Get some fun music.
Get a heart rate monitor.
Get a grip.

Old December 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Flom

"webhead" wrote in message
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage?

I loathe trainers, although I'll use stationary bikes and probably spin this
year. I'd rather ride in the crap and deal with cleaning it (once a week)
than sit on a trainer. My rain bike has an aluminum frame. After wet rides
I'll wipe the chain and get major stuff, then strip down and wash it all.
Here's some help for cleaning if you're interested:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=85

--
JF

Old December 2nd 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 11:55 am, webhead wrote:

So, how do you people manage?

I live somewhere that you can ride all year, if not every day all
year.

Other people, who live elsewhere? I hear that some of them turn the
lights off.

But seriously, I went to a Spin class the other day and the leader
(who you couldn't hear over the loud, distorted music) (I mean
understand, you could hear her just fine and you probably could have
heard her just fine *without* the microphone) turned down the lights
when it was effort time.

Completely screwed.

Fixed gear bike, some old thing that is expendable, old chains, cheap
cogs and old chainrings, etc. etc. Cleaning optional. That's the way
we did it in the Old Country (GFN).

Do other things. Hike, swim. Stair climbing is great for conditioning
if it doesn't tear you up.

Or find Spin classes where they leave the lights on and don't scream
through blaring speakers.

I'm gonna get an SPL meter this winter, I swear. --D-y

Old December 2nd 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark Fennell

webhead wrote:
So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

Rollers. Perfect for entertaining yourself.

For example, see my stupid roller tricks from last night...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

Next I'll try to bunny-hop off in a full sprint. Will I go skidding across
the floor??

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Old December 2nd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Flom

"Mark Fennell" wrote in message
webhead wrote:
So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

Rollers. Perfect for entertaining yourself.

For example, see my stupid roller tricks from last night...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

Next I'll try to bunny-hop off in a full sprint. Will I go skidding across
the floor??

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Absolutely sick.

--
JF

Old December 2nd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 9:55 am, webhead wrote:
Just out of curiosity: at this time of year I'm supposed to build a
base physique and do long low intensity rides. However, days are short
and the weather is just plain terrible.
I don't mind the weather for a ride but cleaning my bike and getting
every itty bitty sand out of the chain and drivetrain is just hours of
work. If I don't I'm just grinding components.

I like my trainer but being stationary for about an hour is my limit.
It's a bit annoying to sit still for longer times.

So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

This time of year, we do cyclocross. HTFU!
Old December 2nd 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

But seriously, I went to a Spin class the other day and the leader
(who you couldn't hear over the loud, distorted music) (I mean
understand, you could hear her just fine and you probably could have
heard her just fine *without* the microphone) turned down the lights
when it was effort time.

I imagine loads of big girls trying to shed some dough there. I kind
of worry that I can't do my own training but it's intriguing though.

I might use an old bike that may be trashed or so and I've tried some
cross training by running or swimming but that just doesn't do it. I
like running somewhat but I'm not good and I seem to get sore rather
easy. Swimming doesn't get my heart rate up high enough and I read
that's due to a lack of technique.

So from what I've gathered most here don't actually train as much as
they keep up a base level of physique until outdoor rides become
favorable again.
Old December 2nd 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
webhead[_2_]

This time of year, we do cyclocross. HTFU!

I'd like to very much but I'm still building my cross bike. I don't
have big $ to spend.
Old December 2nd 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 1, 11:40 pm, "Mark Fennell" wrote:
webhead wrote:
So, how do you people manage? Does anyone spend 3 hours on their
trainer doing long low intensity rides ?

Rollers. Perfect for entertaining yourself.

For example, see my stupid roller tricks from last night...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

Next I'll try to bunny-hop off in a full sprint. Will I go skidding across
the floor??

Good stuff. When I rode rollers a lot I used to entertain folks in the
shop by taking my shirt on and off. I never tried shorts though...

MC