tandem kickstand

Old September 15th 04, 01:41 AM
Rich

Default tandem kickstand

We recently purchased a raleigh coup tandem (I know it's inexpensive,
but we like it) and was trying to get a kickstand for it.

The one the bikeshop wanted to put on it went by the back tire, but we
have a burley trailer that connects there, so that didn't work. So we
tried a regular kickstand under the stoker, but it hits the sprocket
when the bike is leaning on it.

So, is there another kickstand solution?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Old September 15th 04, 02:33 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:41:33 -0600, Rich
wrote:

We recently purchased a raleigh coup tandem (I know it's inexpensive,
but we like it) and was trying to get a kickstand for it.

The one the bikeshop wanted to put on it went by the back tire, but we
have a burley trailer that connects there, so that didn't work. So we
tried a regular kickstand under the stoker, but it hits the sprocket
when the bike is leaning on it.

So, is there another kickstand solution?

Maybe this?

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 15th 04, 07:45 AM
Jeff Wills

Werehatrack wrote in message . ..

So, is there another kickstand solution?

Maybe this?

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034

My wife and I have this kickstand on our recumbents. Highly
recommended, provided it clears all of the assorted chainrings at the
stoker bottom bracket.

Jeff
Old September 15th 04, 09:56 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Werehatrack wrote:

Maybe this?
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034

Recommended. Holds the bike up while you load up, connect trailers and
such. But can interfere with the "front" mech on a tandem :-(

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old September 16th 04, 06:26 AM
Rich

OK, I'm sold. But I dont' want to spend 50 bucks and find out it
doesn't work. Anybody out there have this on a Raleigh coup? Or have
knowledge as to wether it will work or not on such a bike?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Old September 17th 04, 03:43 PM
Karen M.

Rich wrote:
OK, I'm sold. But I dont' want to spend 50 bucks and find out it
doesn't work. Anybody out there have this on a Raleigh coup? Or have
knowledge as to wether it will work or not on such a bike?

I've got one of these on one of my tandems. However, with a
kickstand, you need to find some smooth sturdy level ground to hold
the bike up. A tree, wall, car, or
pedal-rotated-backwards-against-the-curb always works better for me.
Plus my stokids were always trying to climb on while
kickstanded--kickstood? The bike was upright and supported by the
kickstand, so it looked to them as though it would support a kid or
two as well. And I was always lecturing them about the error of this
assumption.
Can you have one person hold it up while the other adjusts things?
Or fashion a fancy 2" x 4" cut to length for your driveway work?
HTH

--Karen M.
Old October 24th 04, 04:39 PM
Rich

wrote:
We recently purchased a raleigh coup tandem (I know it's inexpensive,
but we like it) and was trying to get a kickstand for it.

Maybe this?

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034

An update, for those searching the archives in the future. This
kickstand DOES fit on a raleigh coup, although with only a few mm
clearance between it and the sprocket.

And it works great. Very stable, and makes the rear drivetrain very
easy to work on, since the back tire is off the ground and the kickstand
doesn't interfer with the pedals. Somewhat expensive, but well worth
it, IMHO. Highly recommended.