Crash cyclist concedes group risk

Old January 30th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sook MaCrunchie

Default Crash cyclist concedes group risk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7218206.stm
Old January 30th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

Hmmmm - interesting take on it. If you ride in a group, seems a bit unfair
to sue someone else if they fall off. Surely it goes with the territory -
i.e. lots of people riding close to eachother. If someone falls off, you
might fall off as well.

"Sook MaCrunchie" wrote in message
.uk...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7218206.stm

Old January 30th 08, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Jim writtificated

Hmmmm - interesting take on it. If you ride in a group, seems a bit
unfair to sue someone else if they fall off. Surely it goes with the
territory - i.e. lots of people riding close to eachother. If someone
falls off, you might fall off as well.

It seems that he's taken exception to someone riding with a weird grip on
the handlebars. I'm wondering if they were in a 'time trial' position
without tribars - forearms resting directly on the tops. IMO that wouldn't
be a good idea in a group --- understatement of the year
Old January 31st 08, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Morris

Sook MaCrunchie wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7218206.stm

That could stuff informal group rides for the rest of us.

Tosser.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk

Old January 31st 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2008-01-30, Mark T pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote:
Jim writtificated

Hmmmm - interesting take on it. If you ride in a group, seems a bit
unfair to sue someone else if they fall off. Surely it goes with the
territory - i.e. lots of people riding close to eachother. If someone
falls off, you might fall off as well.

It seems that he's taken exception to someone riding with a weird grip on
the handlebars. I'm wondering if they were in a 'time trial' position
without tribars - forearms resting directly on the tops. IMO that wouldn't
be a good idea in a group --- understatement of the year

Even if that were the case, he would still be a tosser.

Anyway, if you think the rider in front is riding unsafely, then don't
draft so close behind them. His case rests on his claim that he was well
aware the rider in front was riding unsafely according to him.

More details he

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...oup-risk-14311

Apparently the rider in front was sprinting off the front (so probably
actually holding onto the bars quite tightly) and hit a manhole cover.

If he has to sue someone, why not the council for failing to erect a
warning sign about the manhole cover?
Old January 31st 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Sook MaCrunchie said the following on 30/01/2008 19:02:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7218206.stm

What a stupid prat! If he knew he was taking a risk by riding closely
in a group, then why the bloody hell does he think he can sue anyone?
How can he say that he is in no way to blame, when he was riding so
close to another rider that he couldn't avoid a collision? I would
guess that he's just lost a whole bunch of friends.

I hope the case gets thrown out of court before it goes too much further.

I wonder if he was wearing..... No, I'm not going to go there!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 31st 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Ben C writtificated

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-admits-group-
risk-14311

Apparently the rider in front was sprinting off the front (so probably
actually holding onto the bars quite tightly) and hit a manhole cover.

Oh well, it's looking like you're right about the tosser thing then -
there's not much that's silly about sprinting off the front of a group.

You'd have thought early retirement on medical grounds from the prison
service would have been a cause for quiet celebration rather than suing
someone.
Old January 31st 08, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

On 31 Jan, 09:16, Ben C wrote:

Apparently the rider in front was sprinting off the front (so probably
actually holding onto the bars quite tightly) and hit a manhole cover.

Yesterday's report on the BBC gave an account that suggests the lead
rider might not have had the tight grip on the bars you imagine:

"He estimated he was travelling at about 25mph as the road levelled
out and they approached the accident scene.

He said Mr Macpherson and his son, Colin, were at the front of the
pack of riders.

His counsel James Campbell QC asked what he remembered next and he
said: "It still goes through my mind pretty much every day. It is
quite correct when people say that things slow down.

"I saw Gordon Macpherson do this movement from left to right across
the road. I remember seeing his hands go down to the side of the
handlebars.

"I got a clear view of when his hands came down and effectively lost
control of the bike," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7216217.stm

I haven't read that Mr Telfor "was well aware the rider in front was
riding unsafely", only that "Mr Telfer agreed that riding close to
other bicycles could be dangerous but said the risk was reduced to
"minimum" by the experience and skill of those cycling in the group."
which is entirley different. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7218206.stm

Calum

Old January 31st 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Paul Boyd writtificated

How can he say that he is in no way to blame, when he was riding so
close to another rider that he couldn't avoid a collision?

The weird thing is that he did avoid a collision, bravely staying at the
controls long enough to steer the doomed bicycle into some unpopulated
scenery. The man deserves a medal as big as a frying pan.

Seriously tho, he's saying that he's partly to blame but that the other
bloke is also partly to blame. A fraction of £370,000 is still a heck of a
lot of money for his early retirement beer fund.
Old January 31st 08, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2008-01-31, Mark T pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote:
Ben C writtificated

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-admits-group-
risk-14311

Apparently the rider in front was sprinting off the front (so probably
actually holding onto the bars quite tightly) and hit a manhole cover.

Oh well, it's looking like you're right about the tosser thing then -
there's not much that's silly about sprinting off the front of a group.

You'd have thought early retirement on medical grounds from the prison
service would have been a cause for quiet celebration rather than suing
someone.

I make him a tosser regardless. The other guy obviously didn't kick him
into the hedge on purpose or try to decapitate him with piano wire. It
was an accident and you don't sue your friends who happened to be around
at the time when you have an accident.

Cyclist crash Blanchy Australia 4 March 6th 06 11:55 PM
Crash Suit for Cyclist yourbuddy UK 0 December 19th 05 09:18 AM
Melbourne - North Road Group Crash (again?) ACP Australia 17 November 12th 05 08:48 AM
Cyclist died after crash with walker Brian Drury UK 40 January 3rd 05 02:08 PM