Need Advice on Airless Rear Tire for an Easy Tour

Old November 19th 04, 12:13 PM
Bob500

Default Need Advice on Airless Rear Tire for an Easy Tour

New member. Purchased an Easy Tour this July after test riding many
recumbent combinations. Added a full Zipp faring last month and it
really cuts the wind load down.

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type of
tire?

BOB500

--
Bob500

Old November 19th 04, 12:27 PM
Dave Larrington

Bob500 wrote:

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type
of tire?

Short answer: Don't.
Long answer: AASHTA URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html#airless

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old November 19th 04, 12:31 PM
Peter Clinch

Bob500 wrote:

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type of
tire?

Not directly, because every time I've read a first hand account of a
solid/foam/etc. tyre it has very heavily implied that they're shocking
and not to be touched even with a 15' barge pole...

Good modern tyres with Kevlar bands are reasonably proof against most
punctures, I'd go with one of those.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old November 19th 04, 06:05 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:13:10 +1100
Bob500 wrote:

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type of
tire?

Don't bother. It'll increase your rolling resistance, increase your
weight, and give you a rougher ride.
Old November 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Jim

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message ...
Bob500 wrote:

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type
of tire?

Short answer: Don't.
Long answer: AASHTA URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html#airless

I have found Greentyre, NoMorFlats and NuTech to be heavy and mushy
(too much rolling resistance). I have had no experience with Airless
Manaco. I now am trying a Kevlar belted Primo Comet. Between the
inside surface of the tire and the air retaining tube I have placed a
thorn resistant tube that was sliced down the inside and the valve
removed. I reason this to provide signficant belt and sidewall
protection. Kevlar belted tires only protect the belt area, not the
side wall where I have gotten most of my goathead flats. The liquid
protection products such as Slime migrate toward the belt as the tire
rotates leaving, I reason, the side wall with little protection. I
believe SPECIALIZE makes a 700 tire with Kevlar that covers the side
wall as well as the belt area.
My next experiment is to try the product developed by www.notubes.com.
I have read that Kevlar contributes in a signficant way to increasing
rolling resistance.
I ride a Dragonflyer(out of production)tadpole trike.
Old November 19th 04, 07:14 PM
Lewis Campbell

Bob500 wrote in message ...
New member. Purchased an Easy Tour this July after test riding many
recumbent combinations. Added a full Zipp faring last month and it
really cuts the wind load down.

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type of
tire?

BOB500

********************************

I think you will find that an Airfree tire will work well for you.

The main trouble is that the BEST ones (made with High Resilient
urathane) only come in 27".

I have put several thousand miles on these 27" tires and am very well
pleased with them.

Generally, you will find that people who don't like them have NEVER
tried them but relied upon the opinion of someone else, who has a
theory that they don't work well.

Lewis.

*************************
Old November 20th 04, 12:24 AM
John Knez

Bob500 wrote:

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type
of tire?

Short answer: Don't.
Long answer: AASHTA URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_a.html#airless

I now am trying a Kevlar belted Primo Comet.

This summer I had a Kevlar belted Primo Comet blow out on me at about 20
mph. The tire had less than 200 miles on it and it was inflated to 100
psi. The way it blew out left it unusable afterwards. It was the front
tire, which made control of the bike very difficult. What I found ironic
is that it replaced a regular Primo Comet that had gone over 5000 miles
with very few flats.

John Knez
Old November 21st 04, 10:39 PM
Paul W

Consider the Notubes system. It will give a lot better ride than an airless.

http://www.notubes.com/index.htm

I haven't any personal experience with this sytem. Ian Simms of Greenspeed
has trialled it.

Paul W

Old November 22nd 04, 01:08 PM
Steve W

Don't do it! But a Schwalbe marathon plus instead, it's almost puncture
proof i am using one on my Ryan Vanguard.

SW

"Bob500" wrote in message

New member. Purchased an Easy Tour this July after test riding many
recumbent combinations. Added a full Zipp faring last month and it
really cuts the wind load down.

But, need advice on this one. Looking at purchasing an Airless Manaco
tire 700x28c for the rear. Anyone have an experience with this type of
tire?

BOB500

--
Bob500

Easy Coker Airfoil tire change john_childs Unicycling 27 June 21st 05 01:52 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
The Graciousness Of A Champion hold my beer and watch this... Racing 41 September 4th 03 08:14 PM