Bike equipment by law

Old August 30th 06, 07:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Damian

Default Bike equipment by law

Artoi wrote:
I understand that all road bikes are required to have a rear red
reflector. My question is, does this mean that we'll need both a
reflector as well as a red light? I understand that most red lights are
not reflectors in function. Is this correct? Also, is there a size
stipulation to the reflector?
--

http://tinyurl.com/j2vh6

Old August 30th 06, 07:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj

aRTOI WROTE:

I understand that most red lights are not reflectors in
function. Is this correct?

Yes, that's right. The vast bulk of rear lights have no, or else token
reflectors.

You can get rear lights with good reflectors built in though - I use a
Cateye TL-AU100BS, which has a British standard compliant reflector.
Another possibility is the Busch and Muller Dtoplight, which complies
with DIN standards. Of course you won't find these in the shops here
in Oz, you'll have to mail-order them.

Cheers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old August 30th 06, 08:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Damian" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
I understand that all road bikes are required to have a rear red
reflector. My question is, does this mean that we'll need both a
reflector as well as a red light? I understand that most red lights are
not reflectors in function. Is this correct? Also, is there a size
stipulation to the reflector?

http://tinyurl.com/j2vh6

Yep, we went in a full circle. That's the exact place where I read it
and hence my question in the OP. :P
Old August 30th 06, 08:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Artoi wrote:
I understand that all road bikes are required to have a rear red
reflector. My question is, does this mean that we'll need both a
reflector as well as a red light?

Yes, if riding at night.

I understand that most red lights are not reflectors in function.
Is this correct?

Yes

Also, is there a size stipulation to the reflector?
--

No but it must be red and visible from 50m when light is projected onto
it by a vehicle's headlight on low beam

Parbs
Old August 30th 06, 08:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:56:21 +1000
suzyj wrote:
Cateye TL-AU100BS, which has a British standard compliant reflector.
Another possibility is the Busch and Muller Dtoplight, which complies
with DIN standards. Of course you won't find these in the shops here
in Oz, you'll have to mail-order them.

you can get the Dtoplight from Greenspeed, $35.

It's on my bike and is a lovely bit of kit.

Zebee
Old August 30th 06, 10:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:45:03 +0000, Parbs wrote:

No but it must be red and visible from 50m when light is projected onto
it by a vehicle's headlight on low beam

I'd suspect (though haven't tried, and I don't have wheel reflectors on
many of my bikes, or pedal reflectors on any) that a decent sized red LED
flashy would have sufficient reflectivity that it'd be visible from 50m.
Maybe I'll try it tomorrow night using the LEDs, since if they illuminate
it the headlights should.

--
Dave Hughes |
Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
Old August 30th 06, 10:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

Artoi wrote:
I understand that all road bikes are required to have a rear red
reflector. My question is, does this mean that we'll need both a
reflector as well as a red light? I understand that most red lights are
not reflectors in function. Is this correct? Also, is there a size
stipulation to the reflector?

Does the reflector have to be on the bike?

Could it be, for instance, on a backpack?

Travis

Old August 30th 06, 12:49 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Travis" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
I understand that all road bikes are required to have a rear red
reflector. My question is, does this mean that we'll need both a
reflector as well as a red light? I understand that most red lights are
not reflectors in function. Is this correct? Also, is there a size
stipulation to the reflector?

Does the reflector have to be on the bike?

Could it be, for instance, on a backpack?

It's not clear reading RTA's page. But I suspect it's not ok for it to
be on the rider.

I am interested in this issue so that my bike is fully legal and won't
be used as an excuse should I ever have an accident (knock on wood).