Nothing Personal

Old June 22nd 07, 08:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Nothing Personal

It's not just us cyclists who the papers don't give a **** about.

"Car and horse collide"

A horse had to be put down following a collision with a motor
vehicle on Monday, 18 June.

At approximately 11.50pm, the driver of the vehicle was preparing to
turn off the Newell Highway and into a driveway when a horse
travelled in front of the vehicle.

While the motor vehicle sustained minor damage in the accident, the
driver was uninjured.

That's a strange way to spell "the driver didn't look at what was
approaching when they turned off the road. Despite there being a
bloody large horse in front of them, they still turned into it."
Funny how it's always the non-car that collides with the car. And no
comment on the rider of the horse, but the driver was uninjured.

Probably the same driver who pulled out in front of our bus (doing
100km/h, with about 50 metres to spare) yesterday, then proceeded to
dawdly the 8km back into town at 50km/h.

Exactly 24 hours later, someone rolled their car several times after
swerving for a kangaroo. I believe the roo got away

And now the paper is reporting local sightings of the black panther.

What a town...

--
TimC
"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant
Old June 22nd 07, 09:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:39:50 +1000
TimC wrote:

That's a strange way to spell "the driver didn't look at what was
approaching when they turned off the road. Despite there being a
bloody large horse in front of them, they still turned into it."
Funny how it's always the non-car that collides with the car. And no
comment on the rider of the horse, but the driver was uninjured.

What makes you think the horse had a rider?

I mean it's likely, but it's not a given. The buggers do buck riders
off and go galloping down the road you know.

(or buck you off, gallop down the road, then stop and graze as though
nothing has happened, and then just keep moving on enough to mean you
can't catch them.)

It is quite possible the horse did suddenly whirl and jump or get
spooked and do something unpredictable. THey normally have the brains
to stay out of the way of vehicles but not always. THe brains of a
small pug dog in a couple of ton of muscle...

So while it is likely the driver was a blind idiot and the reporter a
fool, it isn't a given.

Zebee

Old June 22nd 07, 09:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jun 22, 6:11 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:39:50 +1000

What makes you think the horse had a rider?

I mean it's likely, but it's not a given. The buggers do buck riders
off and go galloping down the road you know.

(or buck you off, gallop down the road, then stop and graze as though
nothing has happened, and then just keep moving on enough to mean you
can't catch them.)

It is quite possible the horse did suddenly whirl and jump or get
spooked and do something unpredictable. THey normally have the brains
to stay out of the way of vehicles but not always. THe brains of a
small pug dog in a couple of ton of muscle...

So while it is likely the driver was a blind idiot and the reporter a
fool, it isn't a given.

Zebee

Yes, indeed, strange things do happen ... like people rushing to the
defence of provincial newspapers and motorcar drivers!
;-)

donga

Old June 22nd 07, 09:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

TimC wrote:
[...]

Did the horse have lights and reflectors attached? Was it near the left
hand side of the lane? Was it racing other horses in a pack? Should
horses have to be licensed to go on the road? Did it go through a red
light and would a helmet have saved it?

Friday
Old June 22nd 07, 09:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-06-22, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

[...]

I reached the same conclusions as yourself, but have the advantage of
prior knowledge of the quality of the local newspaper.

However, at least I get to class myself as a local now -- my own photo
did get published this week, as did a story about my mum's dinner
party over the weekend. That's how small and crap our local paper is.

I mean, seriously, every couple of weeks they get someone new in to do
a 2 page spread on why global warming is a swindle perpetuated by left
leaning individuals who want to rip us off and steal our water. And
the national parks and wildlife people destroyed that town next door.
All we wanted to do was to strip mine the area, and that town would
have boomed. But destroyed now! 2 people left just last year!

--
TimC
I'm sorry. The number you have reached is imaginary. Please rotate your
Old June 22nd 07, 10:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

TimC wrote:
[...]

If you read it through you can see that it was just before midnight. My
guess is that it was riderless and had escaped from it's paddock and was
startled by the car. Horses startle very easily and it just as likely
ran into the path of the car.

Friday
Old June 22nd 07, 01:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_279_]

Donga Wrote:
Yes, indeed, strange things do happen ... like people rushing to the
defence of provincial newspapers and motorcar drivers!
;-)

Bingo!

BTW wasn't there a suburban myth about a racehorse named Lap Fonac?

--
cfsmtb

Old June 23rd 07, 12:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72[_35_]

If you are pulling off a road into a driveway (yes, even a country one)
so fast that your car sustains damage when you hit anything - then
you're an idiot. Given

Scotty

Old June 23rd 07, 06:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:03:33 +1000
scotty72 wrote:

If you are pulling off a road into a driveway (yes, even a country one)
so fast that your car sustains damage when you hit anything - then
you're an idiot. Given

Not dealt with horses much have you.

Or cars really.

Zebee
Old June 23rd 07, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72[_36_]

Enough to realise that if you weren't fanging up a driveway you'd be
able to stop in time. Or if you hit an object at upto about 10km/h, the
bumper ought to absorb the damage.

If you're doing more than that up a driveway in the dark, well, you
have issues...

Personal best commute Steph Peters UK 4 July 6th 05 10:11 AM
personal problem UniManiac Unicycling 19 March 6th 05 07:15 PM
Personal message Eugenio Mastroviti UK 8 February 3rd 05 09:40 AM
Personal best (sort of) mark General 2 February 16th 04 02:55 PM