For my own amusement

Old June 26th 07, 01:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

Default For my own amusement

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:01:33 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

Hmm. You fixie people are a bit weird in my book, but then the
feeling is probably mutual. ;-)

Nah, it isn't fixed. I wasn't lucky enough to score something that worked
nicely with a gear combo I could easily get, so an old derailleur with one
wheel cut off makes a good tensioner and required no cash input. I'd
probably be able to fix it if I used a phantom cog, but that can wait
until the freehub dies.

The only thing I had to buy was a front brake cable. That's a fair enough
investment, since it's kind of critical safety wise if you've got a
freewheel (and the back rim's sufficiently buckled that braking is of
limited controllability).

--
Dave Hughes |
Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
Old June 26th 07, 01:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:01:33 -0700,BTHumble wrote:
Hmm. You fixie people are a bit weird in my book, but then the
feeling is probably mutual. ;-)

Nah, it isn't fixed. I wasn't lucky enough to score something that worked
nicely with a gear combo I could easily get, so an old derailleur with one
wheel cut off makes a good tensioner and required no cash input. I'd
probably be able to fix it if I used a phantom cog, but that can wait
until the freehub dies.

Why don't you just unscrew the freewheel and weld it up? If that
feels too much like vandalism to you, I can send you a 5-speed
freewheel that has its innards rusted up nice and tight, which would
give the same effect. ;-)

BTH

Old June 26th 07, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:44:56 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

Why don't you just unscrew the freewheel and weld it up?

I don't have a welder and that sounds like too much work. It is a
freehub body (7sp) so it's a little tricky to weld up. Oh, and I have to
hunt out a chainring that has more than slight indents if I'm going to be
braking as well, though it's disturbing just how little metal it takes to
make a bike go.

--
Dave Hughes |
Thus leading us to the obvious conclusion that all software should look
Old June 26th 07, 11:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:44:56 -0700, BT Humble wrote:

Why don't you just unscrew the freewheel and weld it up?

I don't have a welder and that sounds like too much work.

Gaff tape & zip ties?

Parbs
Old June 26th 07, 11:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:01:21 +0000, Parbs wrote:

Gaff tape & zip ties?

Oooh, both fixers. Classy!

--
Dave Hughes |
Frankly, your argument wouldn't float were the sea composed of mercury.
Old June 28th 07, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Gags wrote:
Too bad you don't live in Melbourne......it is $9.20 per day for a zone 1 +
2 rail ticket......bike would pay for itself in a couple of weeks. Even
better if I drive in.....it is about 18km or so each way which is probably 2
litres of petrol (about $5 all up) and it is $6 per day for on street
parking. How can anyone afford not to ride???

Heh! If I was counting "car costs" here it'd be 32km @ 6km/l @ $0.50/
l (LPG) = $2.66 for fuel, plus $5 for parking, plus $X for
aggravation. ;-)

All you have to do is replace the parts as they wear out with decent ones
and if you can manage to crack the frame and break the forks one day you
might end up with a nice ride........sorta like Grandpa's Axe.

Good luck and hope you are back on the bike soon.

I gave it a go this morning. My ride in took nearer to 50 minutes
than the usual 40, but I think most of that was down to the rider
rather than the machine. My knee is a little sore, but I reckon it'll
be OK.

Bike's going OK too. I'll give it a good checking over tomorrow, the
bearings and such should be pretty well bedded in after 40km or so.

BTH

FA: Old Photo AMUSEMENT PARK Roller COASTER BALLOON RARE avp Rides 0 May 12th 07 01:53 AM
rural amusement asterope Australia 27 October 12th 06 01:25 AM
Curiosity and amusement: a Poll oldhickory Racing 1 August 10th 06 02:22 PM
Amusement Park Unicyclist? The_SkunkMan Unicycling 12 August 22nd 04 12:16 AM