passengers in vans

Old August 18th 03, 09:58 PM
chris French

Default passengers in vans

In message , doobrie
writes
on my way home tonight as i was trundling up a 1.3 mile slow gradient a
white van passed me and i had the delightful surprise of some lad
shouting something at me loudly and laughing, havent the faintest idea
what he shouted but it didnt sound like encouragment with the hand
signals he was using too ... certainly nothing from the highway code
that i know of!!

what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few
times and just cant understand it

They are training to be a fully qualified White Van Man (WVM) :-)

Rather get het up about this sort of stupidity, I find a smile and a
wave a good response.

My favourite (when I was driving a car as it happens) was to be called a
'Speccy *******' by a chap driving another car (who had cut me up and
been an all round idiot). I was too busy laughing to respond - last time
I was called that was when I was at school :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 19th 03, 09:21 AM
doobrie

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message
doobrie wrote:

what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few
times and just cant understand it

dunno, but I recently had the same and blew the geezer a kiss. Most
confused he was too. grin

--
Dnc

yes, confused indeed - lol - good one

Old August 19th 03, 09:25 AM
doobrie

If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write
to the company pointing out that the actions of their trained monkey has
lost them potential work---they don't know you're not a resource
executive at a major multinational.

Colin

yes, all i caught was some meat something or other, didnt have time to get
anything else - next time i'll be better prepared - definately one of those
times you could do with a helmet cam for later analysis on the 'ole puter! a
snap every couple seconds should capture enough ... or maybe just a
handlebar mounted button to trigger ... lol ... james bond here we come!!

Old August 19th 03, 10:34 AM
Dave Larrington

Not just vans, Doobrie my old. The other day I was overtaking a V+lv+ in
traffic at the top of Stamford Hill, N16. Mrs V+lv+ is simultaneously
yakking on the phone, fiddling with the stereo and making an attempt at an
unsignalled lane change which, if successful, would have resulted in her
sandwiching me between her Swedish Brick and some other tin box. Suddenly
she notices a brightly coloured object alongside...

Mrs V+lv+: You ****ing idiot!
Me: If /I'm/ a ****ing idiot, what does that make you?

I should have like to have snatched the telephone from her hand and stamped
on it. The telephone, that is, not the hand. Although now I come to think
of it...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 19th 03, 09:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:42:01 +0100, doobrie
wrote:

what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few
times and just cant understand it

They have all the aggression of the driver and none of the power. A
"fast, flash passenger" is infinitely more pathetic than the "fast,
flash driver."

Top off, top on...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!
Old August 20th 03, 07:52 AM
Tony Raven

In ,
Call me Bob typed:

I had a corker tonight...

Was out for a bit of a thrash, pedaling along happily at 20-22mph when
a car full of lads overtook very closely. Nothing too alarming so far,
but, then, as they passed the passenger leant out and grabbed hold of
my right forearm. I'm not sure if the "joke" was to try and hang on
and accelerate away or to actually turn me and the bike into and under
the car, don't think he knew either.

Happily I broke his grip fairly easily and they sped off all laughing.
What a hoot eh?

Did you memorise the numberplate and report it?

Tony

--
"Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it. "
Philip K. Dick

Old August 20th 03, 11:24 AM
doobrie

Happily I broke his grip fairly easily and they sped off all laughing.
What a hoot eh?

Bob
--

pity you didnt have just enough hold to break his bloody arm too, now that
would have been justice!

Old August 20th 03, 12:38 PM
doobrie

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
It would certainly be nice under these circumstances to:
1. grab the oik firmly by the barnet, and
2. brake as hard as possible
but they usually haven't enough hair to make this a goer, chiz.

making sure you pull the rear brake lever and not the front, one hand on the
bar whilst pulling the front brake doesnt do a lot for control .... ive
found !!

Old August 20th 03, 01:46 PM
doobrie

Ar, but assuming that one's brakes are set up conventionally (right =
front)
and that the oik and his oiky mate at the wheel are passing conventionally
(i.e. on the right), then it would be difficult to hit the front brake
instead of the rear. Unless, or course, one were some variety of Indian
goddess. In which case thunderbolts and various other forms of Divine
Smiting would be available as methods of Oik Re-Education :-)

had this very thought right after i posted ... well, without the indian
goddess portion!!

Shoes?? tomblackwood Unicycling 4 November 24th 03 10:08 PM
Hasty generalizations of the day Kerry Nikolaisen General 16 October 6th 03 12:39 PM