Cyclist killed in freak accident....

Old August 19th 03, 12:27 PM
elyob

Default Cyclist killed in freak accident....

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
elyob wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

To be honest the comment re boxing was a little facetious s?, I

[...]
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious

Yup, it's fine.

And, perhaps interestingly, a word which contains all 5 vowels in the
correct order. Abstemious is another. I think I need my lunch!

Spelling makes you hungry ... ? Countdown must starve you ...

Old August 19th 03, 12:32 PM
Colin Blackburn

elyob wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

To be honest the comment re boxing was a little facetious s?, I

[...]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious

Yup, it's fine.

And, perhaps interestingly, a word which contains all 5 vowels in the
correct order. Abstemious is another. I think I need my lunch!

Spelling makes you hungry ... ?

No, I think the lack of food is addling my brain.

Countdown must starve you ...

The Borgerman is a big obstacle to watching any longer.

Colin

Old August 19th 03, 01:34 PM
Dave Larrington

elyob wrote:

I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped,
opened door, all understandable, but still ridiculous. Puncture and a
face plant is a real risk.

Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same
three-dimensional co-ordinates as the car. It helps, though, not to be
looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to avoid
ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 19th 03, 01:50 PM
elyob

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
elyob wrote:

I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped,
opened door, all understandable, but still ridiculous. Puncture and a
face plant is a real risk.

Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same
three-dimensional co-ordinates as the car. It helps, though, not to be
looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to avoid
ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

Old August 19th 03, 02:08 PM
Dave Larrington

elyob wrote:

They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

OTOH, the previous year I had ingested one in France, which immediately
caused a three-hour coughing fit which threatened to turn me inside out...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 19th 03, 03:04 PM
jt

"Dave" wrote in message
I don't subscribe to posting reports on cyclists deaths as a matter of
course, but felt that this one needs mentioning...

A boxing champ died when he was thrown from his bicycle through the rear
windscreen of a parked Mercedes Vaneo, as he turned to talk to a friend.
His friend, who administered first aid at the scene of the accident,
reported that he hadn't seen the vehicle. It was reported that he wasn't
wearing a helmet but his mother said today that he died from neck

injuries.

Well, that's it then. If he'd been wearing a helmet it would have prevented
the neck injuries and saved his life. You read it all the time in the
newspapaers.

Old August 19th 03, 03:08 PM
Tony Raven

In ,
elyob typed:
elyob wrote:

I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped,
opened door, all understandable, but still ridiculous. Puncture and
a face plant is a real risk.

Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same
three-dimensional co-ordinates as the car. It helps, though, not to
be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to
avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

OTOH once you've swallowed a fly you have to swallow a spider and so on
until you end up swallowing a horse which kills you of course :-)

Tony

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."

Old August 19th 03, 04:16 PM
elyob

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
In ,
elyob typed:
elyob wrote:

I agree, how the hell do you hit a stationary car? Side swiped,
opened door, all understandable, but still ridiculous. Puncture and
a face plant is a real risk.

Easy. Just keep riding until your bike tries to occupy the same
three-dimensional co-ordinates as the car. It helps, though, not to
be looking where one is going - in my case I had my head down to
avoid ingesting the evening hatch of flies coming up from the river.

They're low on calories ... and strangely more-ish ...

OTOH once you've swallowed a fly you have to swallow a spider and so on
until you end up swallowing a horse which kills you of course :-)

Unless you're French...

Tony

Old August 19th 03, 08:41 PM
XRchris

...but one has to wonder if this is a case for proof of boxing
causing brain damage in the young ??...

A not unknown accident amongst non-boxers so almost certainly unrelated

his boxing.

I know of four people who have done this 1 died, 1 may never speak again, 1
had severe leg injuries and 1 (who also wasnt wearing a helmet) had no
injury other than dented pride.

None were boxers but all were cyclists. Hee Hee.

Old August 19th 03, 09:54 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:39:47 +0100, "Dave" wrote:

A boxing champ died when he was thrown from his bicycle through the rear
windscreen of a parked Mercedes Vaneo, as he turned to talk to a friend.
His friend, who administered first aid at the scene of the accident,
reported that he hadn't seen the vehicle.

It is considered possible that some people who have never boxed might
at some stage in their early teens have ridden into the back of a
parked car when studying, say, the curious bulge developing in the
front tyre.

No forks were harmed in the making of this hypothetically hypothetical
anecdote.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!