Our first bike vacation

Old April 9th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Our first bike vacation

My wife and I are the first of the baby boomers close to retirement.
We both have been riding three years this summer. Our winters allow
us to get out on the sunny 50 degree days. We both decided to see if
the work has paid off. We both bike at 6000' altitude. Our daily
workout is 10k on local hilly bike trails. We decided to make a biking
only trip to San Diego since we havent been there. Day 1 we got
rental bikes on Coronado Island and biked down to Imperial Bay, 20
mile round trip. Day 2 we got rental bikes downtown and went to
Balboa Park, cruised the embarcadaro from downtown to the airport.
Probably a 12 mile ride. If I make it back I saw a wonderful paved
trail along the Trolley Blue Line which meandered through some dense
vegetation.

The Bianchi rental bikes in Balboa Park
http://i43.tinypic.com/xljaef.jpg

Coronado Bird Sanctuary five miles out, Electra touring rentals
http://i41.tinypic.com/102w5c8.jpg

Day 3 we got rerouted through SF because of weather problems.
My inlaws in their mid 80s sometimes ride their Giant and Amsterdam,
thats me
http://i41.tinypic.com/2uqch3t.jpg

Our Raleighs 19" frames with 26" tires
http://i42.tinypic.com/xf21l5.jpg

Our Trek 7300 16" and 7100 20"(paneers and basket) frames with 27"
tires
http://i43.tinypic.com/3465093.jpg

Everyone we saw thought we were locals. Our biking plans this
summer. Throw them on city buses and ride the trails through out the
metro area.

Jim
Old April 11th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

A good place to log this is http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/