Sealed bottom bracket: adjust?

Old April 17th 05, 04:16 PM
BobInWisc

Default Sealed bottom bracket: adjust?

Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some play
and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of the
expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with something
like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be adjusted? How?

TIA
Old April 17th 05, 06:41 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:16:59 +0000 (UTC), BobInWisc
wrote:

Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some play
and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of the
expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with something
like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be adjusted?

No.

Where was the play? In just one crank, or does the entire crank and
shaft move laterally, or what?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old April 17th 05, 06:50 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Werehatrack wrote:

Where was the play? In just one crank, or does the entire crank and
shaft move laterally, or what?

And are you sure it wasn't the pedal? For instance, all Time Equipe
pedals had some play from new.
Old April 17th 05, 09:21 PM
Peter Cole

BobInWisc wrote:
Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some

play
and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of the
expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with

something
like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be adjusted?

How?

I've been able to pry the (rubber) seal off and see the bearings and
add lube, but there's no adjustment on the Shimano, Truvativ and
generic sealed BB's I've looked at. Once they get too sloppy, it's just
time for a new one. They're only $20 or so, anyway. Getting them out
can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes.

Old April 18th 05, 05:25 AM
A Muzi

BobInWisc wrote:
Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some play
and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of the
expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with something
like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be adjusted? How?

If the entire unit was loose in the bike just lube the
threads, lock it in place and reinstall your cranks.

If the 'sealed unit' has play in the bearings, most models
are dead at that point. Fork over $25~$30 for a new one of
the same length.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old April 18th 05, 04:35 PM
Bob

A Muzi wrote in
:

BobInWisc wrote:
Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some
play and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of
the expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with
something like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be
adjusted? How?

If the entire unit was loose in the bike just lube the
threads, lock it in place and reinstall your cranks.

If the 'sealed unit' has play in the bearings, most models
are dead at that point. Fork over $25~$30 for a new one of
the same length.

I'm confused by the two alternatives you present. The entire assembly is
loose in the frame but is integral as a unit, i.e. there's no play between
pedals and cranks so must be in the bearing assembly. So, my take is
"entire unit was loose in the bike" *because* "the 'sealed unit' has play
in the bearings". Are you saying the 'sealed unit' itself may be loose in
the frame?

Btw, the play is not lateral but perpendicular to the shaft (a wobble) and
not extreme.
Old April 19th 05, 08:34 AM
A Muzi

BobInWisc wrote:
Getting my Trek 720 out of the basement, noticed the cranks had some
play and needed to be tightened. Took off left crank and instead of
the expected lockring and adjuster, lo and behold a smooth ring with
something like "sealed bottom bracket" engraved on it. Can this be
adjusted? How?

A Muzi wrote

Bob wrote:
I'm confused by the two alternatives you present. The entire assembly is
loose in the frame but is integral as a unit, i.e. there's no play between
pedals and cranks so must be in the bearing assembly. So, my take is
"entire unit was loose in the bike" *because* "the 'sealed unit' has play
in the bearings". Are you saying the 'sealed unit' itself may be loose in
the frame?
Btw, the play is not lateral but perpendicular to the shaft (a wobble) and
not extreme.

Yes, see if the bearing is damaged ( replace) or if it is
just not properly installed ( reinstall).

Old April 19th 05, 04:32 PM
Bob

A Muzi wrote in
:

Bob wrote:
I'm confused by the two alternatives you present. The entire
assembly is loose in the frame but is integral as a unit, i.e.
there's no play between pedals and cranks so must be in the bearing
assembly. So, my take is "entire unit was loose in the bike"
*because* "the 'sealed unit' has play in the bearings". Are you
saying the 'sealed unit' itself may be loose in the frame?
Btw, the play is not lateral but perpendicular to the shaft (a
wobble) and not extreme.

Yes, see if the bearing is damaged ( replace) or if it is
just not properly installed ( reinstall).

OK, I'll check. Thanks.