Tube etiquette

Old July 19th 05, 05:10 PM
Michael Warner

Default Tube etiquette

Hi all,

Something a bit disconcerting happened tonight on a group
ride. A guy I didn't know had a flat, and when he found that his
spare tube also had a flat, I gave him one of mine and got him
going again. I'd normally be happy to take the dead one in exchange
and patch it later, but the stem was too short for my rims, so I
intended to give it away later or toss it.

He didn't seem very grateful, but I didn't worry about it. Cut to
the coffee shop afterwards, where he queued in front of me,
without offering to shout me (it costs about the same as
a new tube), then sat with his mates at another table and
ignored me, even though I pulled out his dead tube and made
a pointed comment within his hearing about it being useless to me.

This is new to me - I always replace them ASAP, pay or shout (if it's not
someone I ride with regularly), and so have those I've given tubes to.
Are there just some people who apparently deserve free tubes, like some
smokers with cancer sticks, or should I find out who he is, hunt him down
and kill him? :-)

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old July 19th 05, 05:26 PM
Bleve

Hunt him down and kill him. What a ******! Coffee shop riders ...

Old July 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Rob & Shel

I've had that happen before.

Just add them to your **** list, & count it as experience.

Next time ask if your new tube is gonna be replaced: make out you're on a
tight budget or something.

Anyone should be carrying at least a spare. I've experienced triple
flatties on the same ride (pinches from pot holed roads on overly fast
descents) & have received a tube from a co-rider.....that person got a new
tube next day: pronto. I mean, walking 30K's aint funny & deserves
gratitude.

Rob

.. .

Old July 19th 05, 11:39 PM
dave

Michael Warner wrote:
[...]

Remember him as an arsehole. And think how cheaply you found that out.
All his mates think he is an ok person. SOme of them may find out the
truth the hard way.

Cynical I know. But I guarentee a bloke who aint greatfull for the loan
of a tube for example wont be the guy you want test driving your new car.
Old July 19th 05, 11:41 PM
dave

Rob & Shel wrote:
[...]

Yeah. I have given a couple away.. people who just lived to
inconveniently. BUt in the main they have been replaced the next day
with expressions of grattitude. Its just how real people do it

Old July 19th 05, 11:59 PM
GPLama

"Michael Warner" wrote in message ...

He didn't seem very grateful, but I didn't worry about it. Cut to
the coffee shop afterwards, where he queued in front of me,
without offering to shout me (it costs about the same as
a new tube), then sat with his mates at another table and
ignored me, even though I pulled out his dead tube and made
a pointed comment within his hearing about it being useless to me.

Sounds like an A-grader to me....

cheers,
GPL
:not that there is anything wrong with that:

Old July 20th 05, 12:02 AM
dave

GPLama wrote:
"Michael Warner" wrote in message ...

He didn't seem very grateful, but I didn't worry about it. Cut to
the coffee shop afterwards, where he queued in front of me,
without offering to shout me (it costs about the same as
a new tube), then sat with his mates at another table and
ignored me, even though I pulled out his dead tube and made
a pointed comment within his hearing about it being useless to me.

Sounds like an A-grader to me....

More like a sprinter
Fuwkin rude.. but after the event has no clue why you are holding a grudge

Old July 20th 05, 01:05 AM
Jock

Just put a tack in his tyre next ride and conveniently have no spare - even
mention he has it already.
I had a skiing friend we shared accomm. with and after the week at the snow
his old holden refused to start. He disconnected the fuel line ??? then I
jump started his car ??? (his ideas - not mine), when he thought it was the
thing to do. His engine caught fire (big surprise) and I had the only fire
extinguisher on the mountain. We put the fire out and that was good.
Never said thanks, kiss my arse or anything. Neither was there an offer to
replace / pay for the recharge of my now empty unit.
I guess some people are just uncivilised and it's good not to be among them
when it counts.
Oh yeah, hunt him down and give him a face full of fart up a hill when he's
breathing hard.
Jock

Old July 20th 05, 01:47 AM
flyingdutch

Jock Wrote:
Oh yeah, hunt him down and give him a face full of fart up a hill whe
he's
breathing hard.

noice. subtle. noice...

new BR tactic

--
flyingdutch

Old July 20th 05, 02:16 AM
GPLama

"flyingdutch" wrote in message ...

noice. subtle. noice...

new BR tactic?

another reason to keep going off the front...

cheers,
GPL