Headphones

Old November 27th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Headphones

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Brian S wrote:
yk wrote:
Which model do you recommend ?
My priority is 1. comfort, 2. sound quality, 3. cost.
I don't like in-ear type. What I use now becomes uncomfortable when
I sweat.
I'll use mostly on trainer. TIA.

I have these, and find that they've been the most comfortable phones
I've used. They also don't fall out of your ears either (hooks around
the back of the ear), so looking around isn't a problem. They only
downside (depends on the person I suppose) is that it looks like
you're wearing earings.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100133n100130

I use those (or very similar), too. Good sound, yet doesn't drown out
traffic (unless turned way up -- not smart).

As to comfort, however, they occasionally hurt my ears -- probably because

always wear a head band and sort of "tuck" 'em inside, along with sunglass
frames. Not usually a problem except on longer rides...

Bill "Steely Dan 8-tracks, baby" S.

Thanks to both of you. I'll try it..

Old November 27th 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Gooserider:
Even if he used them on the road, judicious use of a mirror and a
shoulder check more than makes up for using headphones.

I think "judicious" is the operative word.

I do a lot of riding through Valley Forge Historical park.

When I see the wires, I swing *way* wide... my guess is that 85 out of 100
don't
hear the bell.
--
PeteCresswell

Nobody seems to realize that modern automobiles cut the driver off from his
surroundings as much as headphones/earbuds do a cyclist. People drive with
the windows up, and the AC and radio on. They can't hear what's going
on---I'll bet they can hear an emergency vehicle's siren either.

Old November 28th 05, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:44:37 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
.. .
Per Gooserider:
Even if he used them on the road, judicious use of a mirror and a
shoulder check more than makes up for using headphones.

I think "judicious" is the operative word.

I do a lot of riding through Valley Forge Historical park.

When I see the wires, I swing *way* wide... my guess is that 85 out of 100
don't
hear the bell.
--
PeteCresswell

Nobody seems to realize that modern automobiles cut the driver off from his
surroundings as much as headphones/earbuds do a cyclist. People drive with
the windows up, and the AC and radio on. They can't hear what's going
on---I'll bet they can hear an emergency vehicle's siren either.

This is why sirens are a lot louder these days, but they *can* hear the
siren. Well, except the THUMPATHUMPATHUMPATHUMP crowd where the car rocks
on its crappy suspension with every beat of the bass, anyway.

Jasper
Old November 28th 05, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:02:56 +0000, Gooserider wrote:

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:49:21 -0800, yk wrote:

Which model do you recommend ?

None.

My priority is 1. comfort, 2. sound quality, 3. cost.

My solution wins on all counts. Hear what is going on around you, not
Foghat. Nothing sticking in the ear maximizes comfort.

Ah, come on, David. The OP did mention he would use them mostly on his
trainer.

Actually, I missed that part. But trainers are usually in the house,
where you have a stereo to listen to.

Even if he used them on the road, judicious use of a mirror and a
shoulder check more than makes up for using headphones. I wear headphones
when I ride, even moreso at night. It's not a problem to know when traffic
is coming up behind me b/c I can see the headlights in my mirror.

I just don't have the need to listen to music when I ride. IĀ*prefer
experiencing what I am doing, not blocking it out. And there is an added
risk, which you acknowledge by compensating for it.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 28th 05, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Gooserider:
Even if he used them on the road, judicious use of a mirror and a
shoulder check more than makes up for using headphones.

I think "judicious" is the operative word.

I do a lot of riding through Valley Forge Historical park.

When I see the wires, I swing *way* wide... my guess is that 85 out of 100
don't
hear the bell.

I do a lot of riding in VFNHP too. Well I used to before I went GERSPLAT!

I also see a lot of riders wearing earphones in both ears.

This is a violation of Title 75 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statues which
defines a bicycle as a vehicle granted the same priveliges and subject
to the same responsibilities as any other vehicle.....

This has probably never been inforced, however.

HAND
There is NO inteligence in Inteligent Design!
Old November 28th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per David L. Johnson:
But trainers are usually in the house,
where you have a stereo to listen to.

Depends on how much your Significant Other likes to listen to....
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 28th 05, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

H M Leary wrote:

This is a violation of Title 75 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statues which
defines a bicycle as a vehicle granted the same priveliges and subject
to the same responsibilities as any other vehicle.....

This has probably never been inforced, however.

In Virginia a bicyclist on a "shared use path" (bicycle trail also open
to pedestrians) is granted the same rights and duties as a pedestrian,
and is therefore not subject to restrictions against using headphones.
On a street the bicyclist is treated the same as the driver of a motor
vehicle.

Old November 29th 05, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

oh david ...

Old November 29th 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:59:46 -0800, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per David L. Johnson:
But trainers are usually in the house,
where you have a stereo to listen to.

Depends on how much your Significant Other likes to listen to....

He/she/it is already listening to the trainer, and your panting (not in
concert with his/hers/its). Music would do well to improve that situation.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

stable headphones for cycling? Pete Biggs UK 3 November 12th 05 10:14 AM
stable headphones for cycling? gentlegreen UK 1 November 11th 05 09:16 AM
Headphones Saved My Life..... CC General 49 June 11th 05 05:26 AM
Headphones theGoat Australia 23 January 10th 05 11:41 AM
slightly related to the headphones thread Dej Australia 2 May 31st 04 04:22 AM