Bianchi Eros rear derailleur

Old November 27th 05, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bianchi Eros rear derailleur

I have a '97 Bianchi Eros with a broken rear 8 speed Campy Mirage
derailleur. I was told by Nashbar that I could replace it with a Campy
Veloce 9 speed derailleur if I also replaced the existing chain with a
9 speed chain. Keep in mind that I have an 8 speed rear cassette. I am
also replacing the Record 8 speed cassette with a new cassette.

Can someone give me advice if this is correct?

Old November 27th 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"bianchi man" wrote:

I have a '97 Bianchi Eros with a broken rear 8 speed Campy Mirage
derailleur. I was told by Nashbar that I could replace it with a Campy
Veloce 9 speed derailleur if I also replaced the existing chain with a
9 speed chain. Keep in mind that I have an 8 speed rear cassette. I am
also replacing the Record 8 speed cassette with a new cassette.

Can someone give me advice if this is correct?

Chains are meant to match the rear cogwheel cassette,
not the derailleur.
7-8 speed chain for a 7 or 8 cogwheel cassette.
9 speed chain for a 9 cogwheel cassette.
10 speed chain for a 10 cogwheel cassette.
Single speed chain for single cogwheel.
The point is that cassettes with more cogwheels
have the cogwheels closer together, and so require
a chain with a narrower outside dimension.
Of course you _can_ use a 9 speed chain on a 8 speed cassette,
but need not do so.

--
Michael Press
Old November 27th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bianchi man wrote:
I have a '97 Bianchi Eros with a broken rear 8 speed Campy Mirage
derailleur. I was told by Nashbar that I could replace it with a Campy
Veloce 9 speed derailleur if I also replaced the existing chain with a
9 speed chain. Keep in mind that I have an 8 speed rear cassette. I am
also replacing the Record 8 speed cassette with a new cassette.

Can someone give me advice if this is correct?

Well, it depends on how old the Veloce 9 speed derailleur that they are
selling is. Campy changed their derailleur design in 2001 or 02 so
earlier derailleurs take a slightly different cable pull. A new Veloce
derailleur would not index perfectly, though I've seen reports that the
two are close enough to be acceptable in many situations.

A 9 speed derailleur has slightly narrower pulleys than the 8, but I
doubt that would be enough to force a new chain. I would definitely try
the 8 spd chain with the new derailleur before buying a new chain.

I'm surprised the bike has a record cassette on it with mirage
derailleurs. If it were mine, I'd think about switching the shifting
disk in the ergo shifter to a 9 speed one and get a 9 spd cassette if
you have to get a new cassette anyway.

Baird
Old November 27th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Baird:

Can an Bianchi Eros hub/freewheel for a 8 speed cassette be retrofitted
for a 9 speed cassette?

Jim R.