spackle for tires?

Old April 10th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default spackle for tires?

I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.
Old April 10th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ablang writes:
I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

The aim will be to fill the holes rather than
to pinch the cuts in the rubber back together.

The rubber cement that comes with patch kits is
probably your best bet, as it's vulcanizing (at
least, it should be.)

Non-vulcanizing rubber cement or contact cement
will sorta work, in a pinch. It'll help keep
more destructive granules from getting lodged
in those holes for a while, anyway.

IMO, the non-flammable arts-&-crafts rubber
cements are totally useless for your purposes.

It's been my experience that the knowledge of
having flawed tires, however repaired, nags at
my mind until I replace them. But since these
holes are small and don't penetrate the casing,
you shouldn't have to think about replacing
tires because of the holes, so everything's jake.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 10th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Ablang" wrote: (clip) Is there a product out there that is designed to
fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe Shoe-Goo. It is used to build up rubber soles with pieces missing.

How about putting a patch on the tube centered on the potential hole in the
tire? Or, of course putting the patch on the inside of the tire--but
getting the inside of the tire smooth enough to hold a patch might be
difficult.

Old April 10th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Ablang writes:
I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

The aim will be to fill the holes rather than
to pinch the cuts in the rubber back together.
[...]

Trim a sliver of a junk inner tube or tread off a junk tire, clean with
solvent or alcohol, let dry, glue in in the slit or hole.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 10th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Ablang writes:
I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

The aim will be to fill the holes rather than
to pinch the cuts in the rubber back together.
[...]

Trim a sliver of a junk inner tube or tread off a junk tire, clean with
solvent or alcohol, let dry, glue in in the slit or hole.

That sounds like something they'd do in Cuba, where
they can't replace certain worn-out stuff.

cheers,
Tom

Old April 10th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

This is just a wild hare idea, but if all you want to do is FILL the
gaps (IOW, this isn't a structural repai), then how about Shoo-Goo?
"spackle" it in just like, well, spackle.

Anyone ever try this? I wonder if it would work.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 10th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

Don't bother, they don't grow unless the casing is cut. Most of my tires
are covered with such small cuts by the time they wear out.
Old April 11th 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Peter Cole writes:
Ablang wrote:
I just used a small pocket knife to remove 2 small shards of glass
from my back tire. They didn't go in deep enough to cause a flat, but
they have created 2 holes in the tire itself, which no doubt will grow
over time.

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

Don't bother, they don't grow unless the casing is cut. Most of my tires
are covered with such small cuts by the time they wear out.

I've found that when I've dug stuff out of my tires, the
resulting holes invite other particles to later become
lodged in there. Usually it's just been rounded granules
of sand, and I don't worry about it. But something more
jagged and destructively sharp could get in there.

Have you ever accidentally minorly injured some body
part like a hand or finger or sumpthin' -- not enough
to cause serious injury, but enough to make it sore
and perhaps evoke some choice words? Ever notice how
the next mishap is always in exactly the same, already
sensitized spot? Maybe that's how it works with tires,
too. Maybe there's a Murphy's Law thing that targets
The Weak Spot.

Of course you're quite right. Tiny cuts in tires aren't
worth bothering about. But when a tire gets an "owie"
some of us (including, I confess, myself) get an
anthropomorphic desire to make it better. I suspect
tire repairs are often more for the benefit of the
rider's psyche than for the tire itself. And I think
that's understandable, 'cuz we're so reliant on the
quality & viability of our tires. And as you have
no doubt experienced yourself, tires dying before
their time is an uncountenancable PITA.

So, tire repairs are often just a gesture, but
feeling good about some stuff can be important.
I guess it's like Charity. We do what little
we can, and hope something good comes of it,
and feel smug about having at least tried to
do something.

cheers,
Tom

Old April 11th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

"Ablang" wrote in

[snip]

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those
small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

I've heard superglue recommended

Or a dollar bill inside the tire as a "boot"

Jeremy Parker

Old April 12th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Jeremy Parker" writes:

"Ablang" wrote in

[snip]

Is there a product out there that is designed to fill in those
small
holes or to "glue" the rubber tire as a whole piece again? Keep in
mind these are very small holes.

I've heard superglue recommended

Or a dollar bill inside the tire as a "boot"

Boots are for when the casing is penetrated.

I've made and used boots before, but the
knowledge of their presence always nagged at me
until I finally replaced the tire with a
nice, new one. On one hand, having to replace
a tire can border on ignonamy; on the other hand,
tires are just disposable commodities like
light bulbs, paper towels and 2-year-old hard drives.

cheers,
Tom