10 SP racer.

Old June 30th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default 10 SP racer.

On 2017-06-29 19:07, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 14:31:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, June 29, 2017 at 2:06:13 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/29/2017 10:49 AM, Joerg wrote:

Bottle dynamos were one of the abominations of the bike world. Dirt poor
efficiency, noisy, failing a lot in winter, and mostly shoddy electrical
contacting. I'd get rid of that and install some decent system. The
lighting set is also generally useless because in the olden days they
failed to produce much ... light. Sometimes after going over a rough
road they quit producing any light. Get something modern with LED.

I think most of the problems with bottle dynamos were due to
installation. They do require more skill to set up, and many people
lack the mechanical sense to do it righ. Electrical connections could
be a problem if you used the frame for a ground (which was the default
system) but it's easy to provide double wiring which includes a proper
ground wire.

In "the olden days" they used vacuum bulbs and primitive opticx. Those
produced much less light than we expect now, but IME they produced much
more light than the easily available battery lights of the day.

These days, a bottle dynamo will drive a modern StVZO LED dynamo
headlamp. While I have other dynamo types on certain bikes, the bottle
dynamo with a good headlamp gives me all the light I need for road
riding, and it's always available at a moment's notice. YMMV.

I'm not so sure about modern household LED's. They are bright white and your eyes don't like that. On a bike the light is so brights that they reflect off of everything.

I installed LED lights throughout the house. I have the feeling that
the brightness is not what the side of the LED box says it is :-)

True. However, a bicycle lamp that runs 8W will easily rival many
motorcycle head lights. Even if they don't get there they are way better
than those puny 2.4W bulbs of ancient times. Back then the only way to
have decvent light was to find a good halogen bulb and feed it from a
battery. The dynamo was never really able to keep a net balance over the
whole ride so I had to turn it off when not needed, like on bike paths.

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth it on a
dollar basis.

That is because you do not live in the People's Republic of California
or Europe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 30th 17, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/29/2017 10:07 PM, John B. wrote:

I installed LED lights throughout the house. I have the feeling that
the brightness is not what the side of the LED box says it is :-)

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth it on a
dollar basis.

I think the difference in electric bills depends on what sort of bulbs
you had before. One home we visit from time to time has something like
ten incandescent spotlights overhead in the kitchen. I suspect that if
they switched to LEDs, they'd be able to see a difference in their bill.

(BTW, it's incredibly bright in their kitchen; but they keep their
living room so dim that it's difficult to read a magazine!)

But if those kitchen lights were compact fluorescents instead of
incandescents, switching to LEDs would make little difference in
consumption. The wattage difference is rather small.

Then there's the fact that (at least) most American homes burn far more
electricity on non-lighting applications. Air conditioning eats a lot.
So does a refrigerator or a dehumidifier. An electric stove or oven
uses a lot. Changes in use of any of those can mask the savings from
lower lighting consumption.

But the big financial benefit of LEDs might be replacement cost. That
was true even of compact fluorescents. When one of my first CFLs died
early, I took to marking the installation date on the base of the bulbs.
While I've occasionally gotten one with a short life, most have lasted
for years.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 30th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-29 19:07, John B. wrote:
[...]

Over the years I've been commuting by bike which is now 10 years or so,
previously I lived else where. But lights have gone from puny things to
seriously powerful, my commute is though short, dark a lot of the year, and
fortunately rare to see others so I have one of the more recent Magicshine
which well does!

I have noted that this has existed for a few years i.e. Dynamo light with
some kick

http://www.exposurelights.com/cycle-...re-revo-dynamo

Having seen some of their kit though not that light I suspect it's good
though with the dynamo limitations of low power at low speeds.

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth it on a
dollar basis.

That is because you do not live in the People's Republic of California
or Europe.

Roger Merriman

Old June 30th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Roger Merriman" wrote in message
news
Ian Field wrote:
Is a 10 SP racer with drop handlebars collectible in any way?

Dragged one off a skip the other day, the only bit missing is the rear
axle.

The only real salvage is a bottle dynamo lighting set - I don't think
tyres
have ribbed sidewalls for those anymore.

To a degree yes, they have value, though more if they have history.

Touring tyres still have ribbed tyres for bottle dynamos.

The rear tyre on the bike with the bottle doesn't.

Its pretty old, so I was expecting there would be.

Old June 30th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2017-06-29 00:14, Roger Merriman wrote:
Ian Field wrote:
Is a 10 SP racer with drop handlebars collectible in any way?

Dragged one off a skip the other day, the only bit missing is the rear
axle.

The only real salvage is a bottle dynamo lighting set - I don't think
tyres
have ribbed sidewalls for those anymore.

To a degree yes, they have value, though more if they have history.

Depends. A Peugeot PX10 will have a lot of value while a cheap rusty 70's
department store racer won't even have scrap value.

Its a Peugeot elite - whatever that means.

Old June 30th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
news
On 6/29/2017 10:49 AM, Joerg wrote:

Bottle dynamos were one of the abominations of the bike world. Dirt poor
efficiency, noisy, failing a lot in winter, and mostly shoddy electrical
contacting. I'd get rid of that and install some decent system. The
lighting set is also generally useless because in the olden days they
failed to produce much ... light. Sometimes after going over a rough road
they quit producing any light. Get something modern with LED.

I think most of the problems with bottle dynamos were due to installation.
They do require more skill to set up, and many people lack the mechanical
sense to do it righ. Electrical connections could be a problem if you
used the frame for a ground (which was the default system) but it's easy
to provide double wiring which includes a proper ground wire.

They have a "stab" screw on the mounting bracket that stops it moving about
and ensures a good earth.

Getting a secure mount with insulation is where the fun begins.

The only time I had to run an earth wire, was on a seriously rusty frame -
the steering head bearings are also not a reliable earth for the headlamp.

Old June 30th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-06-29 19:07, John B. wrote:
[...]

What sort of 8W bicycle light?

AFAICR: any motor vehicle headlamp must be no more than 7W, or dippeable.
From smaller motorcycles up, headlamps start around 25W. The last LED
replacement LED H4 headlamp bulbs I saw advertised were about 7W and claimed
to equal the usual 55/60W.

A 3W bicycle light probably exceeds the motor vehicle construction and use
regulations.

Old June 30th 17, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

[...]

Most LED bulbs seem to use about half the power of equivalent CFLs - small
saving, but worth having.

Old June 30th 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 12:51:31 PM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:
Snipped

I have noted that this has existed for a few years i.e. Dynamo light with
some kick

http://www.exposurelights.com/cycle-...re-revo-dynamo

Having seen some of their kit though not that light I suspect it's good
though with the dynamo limitations of low power at low speeds.

In addition, changing every light in the house resulted in a barely
noticeable decrease in the monthly light bill. Hardly worth it on a
dollar basis.

That is because you do not live in the People's Republic of California
or Europe.

Roger Merriman

About $400.00 Canadioan for the light plus whatever the hub dynamo costs and then the cost of spokes and the wheel build. All that gets you is a light output of UP TOO 800 lumens depending on your endurance; that's accordingto the site blurb. WOW!

I cna get 2 Cygo Lite lights of 1300 to 1700 lumens for that amount.

Cheers
Old June 30th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2017-06-29 00:14, Roger Merriman wrote:
Ian Field wrote:
Is a 10 SP racer with drop handlebars collectible in any way?

Dragged one off a skip the other day, the only bit missing is the rear
axle.

The only real salvage is a bottle dynamo lighting set - I don't think
tyres
have ribbed sidewalls for those anymore.

To a degree yes, they have value, though more if they have history.

Depends. A Peugeot PX10 will have a lot of value while a cheap rusty 70's
department store racer won't even have scrap value.

Its a Peugeot elite, there's one on eBay for £80 - but that one still has a
rear axle.

Where it goes doesn't look like it takes an off the shelf part.

Clipless on a racer GizmoDuck Unicycling 5 August 17th 08 02:54 AM
Another racer gone. Bill C Racing 2 January 20th 08 10:04 PM
Rear Bike Basket for EZ-1 Sun Easy Racer - Easy Racer EZ-1 Rear Seat Bike Rack.jpg (0/1) Don Boring Recumbent Biking 1 September 25th 05 12:50 AM
APB: Look out for the following racer [email protected] Racing 1 August 13th 05 12:07 AM
Looking for a first racer around $6-800 chris c General 1 February 7th 05 09:58 PM