Disc Brakes

Old February 6th 05, 12:16 PM
LazenbyADT

Default Disc Brakes

Are disc brakes really that good?

When V type brakes came out they were supposed to be the best thing but in
my experience I have nothing but problems and find them useless in wet
conditions.

I only ride on roads in central London so need a braking system that stops
me quickly before a bus runs me over :-)

Should I go for disc or stay with V type.

Old February 6th 05, 12:26 PM
Tony Raven

LazenbyADT wrote:
Are disc brakes really that good?

When V type brakes came out they were supposed to be the best thing but in
my experience I have nothing but problems and find them useless in wet
conditions.

I only ride on roads in central London so need a braking system that stops
me quickly before a bus runs me over :-)

Should I go for disc or stay with V type.

For your riding V-brakes should be just fine. If you want a cheaper
improvement get the Magura hydraulic rim brakes (a lot cheaper than
fitting discs) but otherwise try better pads (Kool Stop salmon coloured
ones) first and check the brake setup. They should not perform as badly
as you are implying.

Tony
Old February 6th 05, 02:00 PM
Pete Biggs

LazenbyADT wrote:
When V type brakes came out they were supposed to be the best thing
but in my experience I have nothing but problems and find them
useless in wet conditions.

In heavy rain there can be a delay before anything happens at all with any
rim brakes. But how many rides per year in London will you encounter
heavy rain, and for more than five minutes? Probably not as many as
you're thinking.

Light to moderate rain shouild be no problem for properly setup V-brakes
with decent pads.

~PB

Old February 6th 05, 02:07 PM
Peter B

"LazenbyADT" wrote in message
Are disc brakes really that good?

Yes. If the situation demands.
Wet, muddy mountainbiking demands!
Wet road riding? Can't hurt, down to how much you think they're worth.

But I find cantis and vees adequate for my wet road cycling, there again
your usage is different to mine. (Mine's country and urban leisure riding).

Pete

Old February 6th 05, 03:37 PM
Paul - xxx

LazenbyADT composed the following;:
Are disc brakes really that good?

When V type brakes came out they were supposed to be the best thing
but in my experience I have nothing but problems and find them
useless in wet conditions.

I only ride on roads in central London so need a braking system that
stops me quickly before a bus runs me over :-)

Should I go for disc or stay with V type.

Discs and pads are more effective when there is much mud and water above
the rims, so mainly better for off-road riding.

On-road I'd suggest you check your setup and the quality of the pads you
use.

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Old February 6th 05, 06:15 PM
Simon Brooke

in message ,
LazenbyADT ') wrote:

Are disc brakes really that good?

There are two separate issues, disk vs rim and hydraulic vs cable. On
the whole having hydraulic rather than cable operated brakes seems to
make more difference than having disk rather than rim brakes.

When V type brakes came out they were supposed to be the best thing
but in my experience I have nothing but problems and find them useless
in wet conditions.

Disk brakes are noticeably better in exceedingly muddy conditions;
they're a bit better in wet conditions but nothing to get excited
about.

I only ride on roads in central London so need a braking system that
stops me quickly before a bus runs me over :-)

Should I go for disc or stay with V type.

Consider the Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes; lighter than disks, and
much cheaper unless you already have 'disk ready' hubs.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.
Old February 6th 05, 07:27 PM
LazenbyADT

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message ,
LazenbyADT ') wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies

will be getting the HS33 hydraulics

Cheers

Old February 7th 05, 01:08 AM
Mark Thompson

and find them useless in wet conditions.

For your riding V-brakes should be just fine.

My rim brakes are bad enough in the wet that I have to slow down. Braking
is minimal until the water is cleared from the rims. Only after that is it
"just fine".

Braking earlier solves the problem 99% of the time but it is the occasional
SMIDSY that makes one wish for brakes that performed a lot better in the
wet.

Old February 7th 05, 08:39 AM
Tony Raven

Mark Thompson wrote:
and find them useless in wet conditions.

For your riding V-brakes should be just fine.

My rim brakes are bad enough in the wet that I have to slow down. Braking
is minimal until the water is cleared from the rims. Only after that is it
"just fine".

Braking earlier solves the problem 99% of the time but it is the occasional
SMIDSY that makes one wish for brakes that performed a lot better in the
wet.

Do you have aluminium of *shudder* steel rims? Some cheap wheels still
use steel rims and they can be murderous in the wet.

Tony
Old February 7th 05, 10:31 AM
Mark Thompson

Do you have aluminium of *shudder* steel rims? Some cheap wheels
still use steel rims and they can be murderous in the wet.

Aluminum rims with a dual pivot brake on the front and (non salmon - d'oh)
kool stops fitted. Next pads will salmon pads - hopefully they'll start
biting a bit sooner. Once the water is cleared from the rims they're fine,
though of course they quickly get wet again.