Anyone carry a folding tire?

Old February 22nd 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel[_4_]

Default Anyone carry a folding tire?

My work commute is usually 20 miles per day, and I typically have two
panniers, one my laptop/office bag. On the ride home last night I hit a
piece of glass that not only punctured the tube but ripped the tire
open, so in addition to my tube sticking out of the cut the tire's torn
threads were also poking out.

This is my first flat in probably 15 years (!), and was beyond repair as
I couldn't fix the torn tire. I'm sure some duct tape or something
similar applied in the tire would have let me limp home on a low PSI
tire, but I didn't have those materials handy.

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.
Old February 22nd 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_16_]

In article ,
Joel wrote:

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

It all depends on the daily conditions. If you're not even getting a
flat but once every 15 years, it doesn't seem worthwhile to bring a
whole new tire on every trip on the off chance you get a catastrophic
blowout.

Most people I know do carry a boot of some kind. Maybe a small strip of
tire from an old one, but having a length of duct tape will work as
well. If you have to improvise, a folded dollar bill is usually strong
enough to get the job done, too.

--
iPhone apps that matter: http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
Old February 22nd 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel[_4_]

Interesting. What I should do is cut a section from my current ruined
tire and just tuck that in my saddle bag for an emergency boot. Thanks
for the idea - DIY and economical.

Yeah, I hesitated about that 15 years statement. While it's 100% true
I'm sure I tipped some kind of karmic balance somewhere and will get a
flat week once I get my tire replaced :-)

Old February 22nd 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel[_4_]

On 2/22/2011 1:47 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

I carry a tyre boot.
In my case, it's an empty toothpaste tube, with the ends cut off and
scraped/washed.

Photo's of patching method can be seen he
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a80...e/Tyre%20boot/

That held for over 30 miles.

Many other materials can be used, including proprietary designs like
this Park one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=13249
I've heard good reports of denim as a boot material.

Huh. That's a much bigger tear than what I had - and a piece of
something durable like a toothpaste tube would have served me well.
Thanks for the photos - I'll be reshuffling my saddle bag in the next
day or so :-)
Old February 23rd 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

On Feb 22, 1:22*pm, Joel wrote:
My work commute is usually 20 miles per day, and I typically have two
panniers, one my laptop/office bag. On the ride home last night I hit a
piece of glass that not only punctured the tube but ripped the tire
open, so in addition to my tube sticking out of the cut the tire's torn
threads were also poking out.

This is my first flat in probably 15 years (!), and was beyond repair as
I couldn't fix the torn tire. I'm sure some duct tape or something
similar applied in the tire would have let me limp home on a low PSI
tire, but I didn't have those materials handy.

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

I got a cut tire coming up on the last hour of a imperal quad (400 mi)
ride- when I discovered that the routine replace tube and inflate
wouldn't work as a result my ride extended by another hour for all my
cursing...I managed to improvise with a plastic drivers lisc. holder
and less than ideal pressure.
Old February 23rd 11, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joel[_4_]

On 2/22/2011 6:26 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

You should have heard the bang when it blew the casing off the bead!
I was riding mid-group, so was lucky to keep control and not get
collected by any of my fellow riders as I stopped.
Front tyre as well, so it got a bit "interesting" for a moment or two.
It was my first group ride out on the bike after I got it, so the
tyres were of unknown history. Needless to say, I replaced the pair
before going out on it again - I'm betting it stood on flat tyres for
some time, probably not in a good environment, and that this was the
reason for the failure.

I had a blow out once - looooong time ago on my first bike - a Schwinn
single speed bike. Road it down to a service station to fill up the
tires. Blissfully unaware of what the "PSI" wording was on the side of
the tire I filled it up until I thought it was good.

On the way home it blew and it I thought it was a bomb going off.
Learned about PSI real fast :-)

I'm surprised you didn't crash with two tires blowing out. I hang mine
front rafter hooks if they're going to sit for a while now.
Old February 23rd 11, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Rathmann

On Feb 22, 10:22*am, Joel wrote:
My work commute is usually 20 miles per day, and I typically have two
panniers, one my laptop/office bag. On the ride home last night I hit a
piece of glass that not only punctured the tube but ripped the tire
open, so in addition to my tube sticking out of the cut the tire's torn
threads were also poking out.

Don't carry a spare tire, but I do usually have a tire boot for such
situations. A piece cut from an old tire works well, but in an
emergency there are lots of alternatives. The most frequently
available is a dollar bill. They are much stronger than regular paper
and hold up for quite a while. Once I only had a $10 handy and I
forgot about it until it eventually deteriorated and caused another
flat hundreds of miles later. Ended up taping the pieces back
together again to use it later at a store. The mylar wrappers from
PowerBars and similar products are also good tire boots and are
frequently carried when riding.
Old February 23rd 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Larry[_8_]

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:29:55 -0600, Doc O'Leary
wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

It all depends on the daily conditions. If you're not even getting a
flat but once every 15 years, it doesn't seem worthwhile to bring a
whole new tire on every trip on the off chance you get a catastrophic
blowout.

Most people I know do carry a boot of some kind. Maybe a small strip of
tire from an old one, but having a length of duct tape will work as
well. If you have to improvise, a folded dollar bill is usually strong
enough to get the job done, too.

I tried the folded dollar bill as a boot once. It lasted for about 2
miles. I believe that there was some discussion on why dollar bills
dont really work well. IIRC, the tube and tire can squirm relative to
each other and that shreds a dollar bill very quickly. I remember my
dollar bill boots left a lot of shredded paper.

Larry
Larry
--
Be polite when e-mailing me. Rudeness will get you nowhere.
Old February 24th 11, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 2/22/2011 12:22 PM, Joel ? wrote:
My work commute is usually 20 miles per day, and I typically have two
panniers, one my laptop/office bag. On the ride home last night I hit a
piece of glass that not only punctured the tube but ripped the tire
open, so in addition to my tube sticking out of the cut the tire's torn
threads were also poking out.

This is my first flat in probably 15 years (!), and was beyond repair as
I couldn't fix the torn tire. I'm sure some duct tape or something
similar applied in the tire would have let me limp home on a low PSI
tire, but I didn't have those materials handy.

My question to all you commuters: do you carry a folding tire for cases
like this? They look a little pricier than normal tires, and I'm
wondering if this is overkill on my part or if that's something regular
commuters carry in a pannier.

Carry a piece of Tyvek™ [1] envelope to use as an emergency tire boot.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyvek.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 24th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary[_16_]

In article ,
Larry wrote:

I tried the folded dollar bill as a boot once. It lasted for about 2
miles. I believe that there was some discussion on why dollar bills
dont really work well. IIRC, the tube and tire can squirm relative to
each other and that shreds a dollar bill very quickly. I remember my
dollar bill boots left a lot of shredded paper.

I didn't say they were great at it, just that they were often the most
common, cheapest thing to sacrifice in a pinch. Did the previous
discussion suggest some other alternative that was stronger, other than
having a proper boot packed beforehand?