Numerical Benefit of Drafting

Old November 10th 04, 12:26 AM
psycholist

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." wrote in message
Can anybody quantify the advantages of drafting in terms of reduced effort
while riding in the pack, whether in line or in an echelon? I was asked
this question by a mountain biker and could not answer it.

I've read some numbers before, but I think it's like the numbers I've read
about Lance's chances of surviving his cancer. One interview it was 20%,
the next it was 50%, etc.

Bob C.

Old November 10th 04, 12:57 AM
Philip W. Moore, Jr.

Brenton,

Coming from me that might actually be a reasonable thought!

-Philip

"Brenton James" wrote in message
After reading the title, I honestly thought this was going to be

politically
oriented...

Old November 10th 04, 01:50 AM
Michael Fuhr

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." writes:

Can anybody quantify the advantages of drafting in terms of reduced effort
while riding in the pack, whether in line or in an echelon? I was asked
this question by a mountain biker and could not answer it.

I cited some research on this a couple of months ago:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...imensional.com

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Old November 10th 04, 04:00 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Dumbass -

It depends upon speed, direction of the wind, etc. etc.

The faster the speed, the greater the % savings in the draft.

Riding an echelon in a crosswind gets more protection than riding on
someone's wheel right into the wind. The body (not the bike or wheels)
has the most drag and in an echelon you can get your body right next to
whomever is breaking the wind, thus the drag savings are greater.

So it varies, depending upon the situation. There is no definitive
answer.

K. Gringioni.

Old November 10th 04, 06:35 AM
Andrew Martin

"Raoul Duke" wrote in message ...
" Can anybody quantify the advantages of drafting in terms of reduced
effort
while riding in the pack, whether in line or in an echelon? I was asked
this question by a mountain biker and could not answer it.

Funny you should ask. Outside magazine recently published a brief article
on the effects of drafting (the recent issue with Gabrielle Reece on the
cover). According to the article, the second rider in line gets a 17%
advantage, the third rider a 38% advantage, and the fourth a 40% advantage
(assuming a race pace). Interestingly, the article claims the lead rider
gets a 3% advantage because the second rider breaks up the drag vortices
behind the lead rider.

The lead rider gains 3% thing has been bounced around for a while. I
think the concensus is that it acts like the tail-cones you see on a
lot of the european tractor/trailers and eases the airflow so that it
does not create low-pressure behind the rider.

-a

Old November 10th 04, 07:49 AM
crit pro

"Philip W. Moore, Jr." wrote in message ...
Can anybody quantify the advantages of drafting in terms of reduced effort
while riding in the pack, whether in line or in an echelon? I was asked
this question by a mountain biker and could not answer it.

Pretty easy to see why it would be hard for you to describe the
sensation. Considering you are the WORLDS LARGEST FRED, and probably
can't keep up with the local bicycle touring clubs ice cream social
rides, let alone any competitive level training ride. And for the fact
that the longest you ever stayed in any draft was the first lap of the
Dallas Morning News city criterium citizen's category. And the closest
you ever got to an actual working echelon was watching WCP Spring
Classics DVD's while polishing your bike.

cp