Whats the deal with road rules in Sweden for cyclists?

Old March 12th 05, 11:58 AM
Jasmine Jasmine is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Whats the deal with road rules in Sweden for cyclists?

Hi
I've been living here in Gothenburg for a over a year and assuming that I have right of way at pedestrian/bike crossings, but its all quite vague. Sometimes cars don't want to stop for me, making me jump off my bike at the last minute, and I'd like to know what the laws say.

I've read the following site: Trafikförordning (1998:1276) http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/lag/19981276.htm but its still not 100% clear about who has 'right of way' at the crossings (Skyldigheter mot gående, cyklande och mopedförare, §58 - 63)

Of course, knowing I'm in the right and riding out in front of these cars who insist on running over me isn't going to help either. It seems there is a distinct lack of awareness of road rules here. They won't work unless EVERYONE knows whats going on.

Bike lanes are better here (although certainly not perfect*) than in Brisbane (Aus) but at least in Brisbane they had ads on TV clearly showing what everyones responsibility on the road was, which was great. Would love to see that here.

Anyone out there with the FACTS?

*(Its so nice to be 'deserted' and suddenly end up on a footpath or in a ditch)
Old March 12th 05, 05:54 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:58:25 +0000, Jasmine
wrote in message
:

I've been living here in Gothenburg for a over a year and assuming that
I have right of way at pedestrian/bike crossings, but its all quite
vague. Sometimes cars don't want to stop for me, making me jump off my
bike at the last minute, and I'd like to know what the laws say.

My reply-to is valid, send me an email & I'll put you in contact with
a cycle campaigner I know in Sweden, he should be well up on the
rules.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old March 29th 05, 05:15 PM
Jasmine Jasmine is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just zis Guy, you know?
My reply-to is valid, send me an email & I'll put you in contact with
a cycle campaigner I know in Sweden, he should be well up on the
rules.

Guy
Guy, I don't know how to send you a personal email. But I'd be very interested to find out more about cycle campaigns in Sweden, aswell as road rules of course.

The following email is valid:

Thanks, Jasmine