Cycling safety: Passing distance signs a 'UK first'

Old July 9th 20, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cycling safety: Passing distance signs a 'UK first'

The first of many one hopes - especially for idiot horse box drivers.
QUOTE:
Cyclists taking to mountain roads in one part of Wales will see new signs reminding motorists to keep their distance, said to be a first in the UK.

The signs have been installed along popular cycling routes in Snowdonia National Park, Gwynedd council said.

The council hopes the signs, which urge motorists to leave a 1.5m (5ft) gap, can help keep cyclists safe as traffic levels return to pre-lockdown levels.

Cyclist Ann Williams welcomed the signs on roads which could be "dangerous".

The council said it was "eager to ensure that cyclists continue to get the respect and space they deserve" as lockdown restrictions are eased.
Image caption Gwynedd council traffic manager Dylan Jones says there is a "very real" conflict between cyclists and motorists in the area

"We feel the message needs to be clear for vehicle drivers," said Dylan Jones, traffic manager for Gwynedd council.

"The popularity of cycling has increased over the years, but with lockdown we have seen it become even more popular."

Mr Jones said similar signs are used in European countries.

He added: "The conflict between vehicles and cyclists is a very real one in this area, especially over weekends when masses of cyclists congregate in the area and use the stunning landscape we have got here.

"The signs will be there to reiterate the message that there needs to be a safe distance when passing cyclists."

The Highway Code says drivers should give cyclists "at least as much room" as they would for a car when overtaking.

The signs have been placed on a number of roads in the in the national park, including at:

Llanberis Pass
Pen y Gwryd
Nant Gwynant
Drws y Coed
Ogwen Valley
Dyffryn Mymbyr

Ms Williams, a member of Dwyfor Cycling Club, said roads in the park could be particularly dangerous during the summer months, as tourists arrive in the area.

"Any steps taken to help the safety of cyclists is to be welcomed," she said.

"And it is encouraging to see Gwynedd council taking the lead with these signs, and hopefully it will be emulated across the country."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53338043
Old July 9th 20, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 09/07/2020 09:45, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Has anyone yet managed to trace the Act of Parliament and/or Statutory
Instrument and Schedule which make this "provision" the law of the land?
Old July 9th 20, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

More on the story from another source.
QUOTE:
Gwynedd scheme aims to give cyclists the space they need.

A new scheme to remind drivers of the minimum space needed to ensure safety when passing a cyclist has been launched by Gwynedd Council. The first of their kind in the UK, the road signs installed along popular routes in Snowdonia are urging motorists to allow cyclists 1.5 metres.

During these past few months, we’ve all become accustomed to signs to reinforce the 2 metre social distancing guidance. But new signs which have recently been installed in parts of Gwynedd are urging motorists to keep a 1.5 metre distance for the safety of cyclists.

As part of a trial, the Council has received Welsh Government support to install the signage at locations along roads popular with cyclists in the northern part of the county.

Councillor Gareth Griffith, Gwynedd Council Cabinet Member for the Environment, said: “More people have made the most of the quieter roads during lockdown, but with traffic slowly increasing, Gwynedd Council is eager to ensure that cyclists continue get the respect and space they deserve on our roads.

“This project has been planned for some time and has looked at similar signage which is already used in many countries in continental Europe. We hope the scheme will benefit occasional cyclists out with family and friends as well as more experienced cyclists who enjoy our stunning hills and mountain roads.

“Close passes are not only intimidating for cyclists, but also very dangerous. With more people using cycling as an alternative mode of travel and for recreational use, we must make sure that everyone out on their bike – families and occasional cyclists to members of local road cycling clubs – feel safe on the road.

“I am therefore pleased that Gwynedd will be the first to trial these new safe passing distance signs which will inform motorists of the need to give cyclists the space they need as well as reminding motorists of their likely presence on the road.

“The signs have been placed in specified locations in Snowdonia and if they prove popular we hope to be able to see them used in other parts of Gwynedd and beyond.”

The signage has been supported by GoSafe, the Wales Road Casualty Reduction Partnership which is led by Police and support the effort to ensure road safety for all users.

Teresa Ciano, GoSafe Partnership Manager said: “GoSafe have been involved with Operation Close Pass, alongside our colleagues and partners in the Fire & Rescue Service and Local Authorities for a number of years. We have been actively promoting the Close Pass message and continue to emphasise the importance of leaving 1.5m between an overtaking vehicle and cyclists to increase the safety of the cyclists on the roads.

“We all have the right to use our road networks and to do so safely and confidently. GoSafe fully support the trial of the new safe passing distance signage on roads across Gwynedd and hope that these signs will remind motorists to be aware of the distance they give cyclists when overtaking, which will contribute significantly to their safety as they use the roads.

“GoSafe aims to work with our partners in all Local Authorities across Wales to further develop this signage scheme, which will eventually see them become commonplace on popular cycling routes all over Wales. A close pass can have serious consequences and can impact heavily on the safety and confidence of cyclists. We encourage every motorist to observe the safe passing distance and to play their part in making our roads safer for everyone.”

Glyn Evans, Sustrans Cymru, added: “Allowing a minimum 1.5m gap between motor traffic and cyclists is absolutely vital to ensure people’s safety. Many drivers don’t realise how intimidating and dangerous it is to pass cyclists too closely.

“We therefore welcome Gwynedd Council’s approach in taking this road safety issue seriously by installing the close pass signs. It’s a good indication of the council’s dedication to ensure the safety of all vulnerable road users and we hope the signs will become a permanent fixture.

“We need to encourage more people to travel actively to reduce congestion and improve people’s health. A vital part of that is ensuring people feel safe to cycle on our roads.”

The signs have been placed in the mountain passes and road network that surround the Snowdon Massif, namely:

· Llanberis Pass
· Pen y Gwryd
· Nant Gwynant
· Drws y Coed
· Ogwen Valley
· Dyffryn Mymbyr

Gwynedd Council is eager to hear from cyclists and other road users about their views on the signage, and ask for any comments to be sent to u – the feedback will be used to consider a possible wider roll-out of the scheme.

PHOTOS:
1 – New signs have been installed along a number of Snowdonia’s mountain passes
2 – A number of roads in Snowdonia are very popular with cyclists.

https://www.thebangoraye.com/gwynedd...ace-they-need/
Old July 9th 20, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

The signs need to add: "For cyclist transponder alerts, tune in to channel XX."

A low frequency transponder could be picked up around curves over hills and through trees, much better than a bike light at night.

Scenery needs to be seen and a motorist can't spend all his time looking at the road.

Bret Cahill

Old July 9th 20, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 2:18:06 PM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
The signs need to add: "For cyclist transponder alerts, tune in to channel XX."

A low frequency transponder could be picked up around curves over hills and through trees, much better than a bike light at night.

Scenery needs to be seen and a motorist can't spend all his time looking at the road.

Bret Cahill

The Octavia also gets ‘Predictive Cycling Protection’ and ‘Turn Assist’, with both able to apply the brakes and bring the car to a stop if a cyclist is detected ahead or at a junction. And then there’s Skoda’s Collision Avoidance Assist system, which can now perform evasive manoeuvres such as The Iron Lotus (okay we got carried away with the Blades of Glory references, but it will actually steer around cyclists if the driver isn’t paying attention).

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fut...oring-cyclists

Govt passing distance petition Alycidon UK 21 May 4th 16 06:59 PM
Cycling warning signs removed Alycidon UK 6 January 2nd 16 05:31 PM
No cycling signs to be removed Simon Mason UK 191 September 26th 11 05:29 PM
Cycling signs Tony Raven UK 1 November 5th 05 09:49 PM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM