Cyclecraft: being seen

Old January 5th 20, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Cyclecraft: being seen

I can't fault the section on Being Seen that runs from page 36 to page
39 of _Cyclecraft: North American Edition_.

It begins with a very useful distinction between conspicuity and
perspicuity, and later remarks "Be careful, too, not to cause visual
confusion by using too many different devices. Good perspicuity
requires conveying simple, easy-to-decipher information about your
presence; overdoing it may be counter productive."

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

Old January 7th 20, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
NFN Smith[_2_]

Joy Beeson wrote:
I can't fault the section on Being Seen that runs from page 36 to page
39 of_Cyclecraft: North American Edition_.

It begins with a very useful distinction between conspicuity and
perspicuity, and later remarks "Be careful, too, not to cause visual
confusion by using too many different devices. Good perspicuity
requires conveying simple, easy-to-decipher information about your
presence; overdoing it may be counter productive."

Interesting perspective.

I've noted before about blinking tailights, and to me, this does a nice
job of articulating why, as a motorist, I don't like the blinking
lights. To me, the problem with blinking lights is that while they're
good at getting attention, they don't give any help allowing a motorist
to gauge relative speed and distance.

Smith

Cyclecraft... paul UK 3 May 3rd 04 12:19 AM
Cyclecraft JohnB UK 16 April 29th 04 12:39 AM
FS - Cyclecraft vernon levy UK 2 February 9th 04 03:57 PM
Cyclecraft Succorso UK 3 September 8th 03 01:23 AM
Cyclecraft Query asqui General 7 August 9th 03 02:35 AM