"Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue"

Old March 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Default "Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue"

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
...or come back to rim brakes ;-)

Infidel! Heretic! Hiccup!

Hey, it's dave and shaun. Fancy meeting you guys here.

Old March 19th 04, 07:28 PM
Zog The Undeniable

James Annan wrote:

It's now a year since the QR/disk brake problem hit the headlines, and I
thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the manufacturers
are dealing with it.

I'm pretty sure some manufacturers are now starting to put the disc on
the RH side of the fork. It's certainly an accepted problem.
Old March 19th 04, 07:32 PM
dvt

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
James Annan wrote:
It's now a year since the QR/disk brake problem hit the headlines, and
I thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the
manufacturers are dealing with it.

I'm pretty sure some manufacturers are now starting to put the disc on
the RH side of the fork.

I might be dense, but I can't see how that would help. I *can* see that
putting the calipers in front of the fork would help, but the right hand
side? What am I missing?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Old March 19th 04, 07:35 PM

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I'm pretty sure some manufacturers are now starting to put the disc on
the RH side of the fork. It's certainly an accepted problem.

Or you can just turn the QR around so the lever is on the right side.
Old March 19th 04, 07:37 PM
G.T.

"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:50:19 +0000, Peter B wrote:

Well I've not had a problem yet but I do make sure the standard Shimano
skewers are very tight.

Is there such a thing as too tight? Is there a danger of the skewer
being over-stressed and being more likely to fail?

Well, skewers do break. It's rare for good quality steel skewers to break
but others do.

Greg

Old March 19th 04, 07:41 PM
G.T.

"Nelson Binch" wrote in message
. com...
Cross posts I don't participate in removed.

"James Annan" wrote in message
It's now a year since the QR/disk brake problem hit the headlines, and I
thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the manufacturers
are dealing with it.

Wow! How many people are having this problem? Out of how many disk

users?

Sorry, but every single time I've seen pictures of these 'incidents' it
looks like improperly set skewers to me.

It's much easier to blame the user. That's what you're doing and that's
what the manufacturers are doing. Even though they know the forces acting
to rip the wheel out of the dropout are high.

Greg

Old March 19th 04, 07:41 PM
TBF

"James Annan" wrote in message
It's now a year since the QR/disk brake problem hit the headlines, and I
thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the manufacturers
are dealing with it.

I keep hearing about this issue with greater frequency, but I've been
running discs for a few years now and it's only popped out once in that
time. It was my fault on that occasion, I realized afterwards that I hadn't
properly tightend the QR.

Now that it's been mentioned though, I have noticed the "Lawyer Lip" on my
Bomber. It's a few years old too but it definitely keeps the wheel on even
with the QR loosened.

Old March 19th 04, 07:53 PM
G.T.

"TBF" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
"James Annan" wrote in message
It's now a year since the QR/disk brake problem hit the headlines, and I
thought some of you might be interested in hearing how the manufacturers
are dealing with it.

I keep hearing about this issue with greater frequency, but I've been
running discs for a few years now and it's only popped out once in that
time. It was my fault on that occasion, I realized afterwards that I

hadn't
properly tightend the QR.

Now that it's been mentioned though, I have noticed the "Lawyer Lip" on my
Bomber. It's a few years old too but it definitely keeps the wheel on even
with the QR loosened.

Don't rely on the lawyer lips like you would have back with cantilevers.

Greg

Old March 19th 04, 08:02 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.tech dvt wrote:
I might be dense, but I can't see how that would help. I *can* see that
putting the calipers in front of the fork would help, but the right hand
side? What am I missing?

putting it on the right side of the fork would also put it on the front
of the fork if you're using existing brakes.
--
david reuteler