Headset Compatability: Chris King vs ?

Old May 9th 04, 11:54 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Headset Compatability: Chris King vs ?

I've already got Chris King.

Getting another bike.

Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
between bikes in a pinch.

Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
put on the fork.

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 10th 04, 02:27 AM
G.T.

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message . ..
I've already got Chris King.

Getting another bike.

Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
between bikes in a pinch.

Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
put on the fork.

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?

Different base plate. You can buy Chris King base plates/crown races
from most shops for your second fork, $12 or so.

Greg
Old May 10th 04, 03:03 AM
KLydesdale

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
I've already got Chris King.

Getting another bike.

Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
between bikes in a pinch.

Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
put on the fork.

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?
--
PeteCresswell

What do you mean by you don't see a lot of them out there anymore? I've
got one coming from Curtlo with a frame that's supposed to be delivered this
week. And my buddy got one on the Serotta hardtail he got several weeks
ago. I believe he ordered his from Cambria Bike. I see them listed at
plenty of other online retailers too.

I know Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
in an attempt to control discounting. This made them a bit more difficult
to get for a while but they seem to be available now.

Old May 10th 04, 06:39 AM
miles todd

G.T. wrote:

Different base plate. You can buy Chris King base plates/crown races
from most shops for your second fork, $12 or so.

Greg

Heck, I have a ziploc bag full of the damned things. Gimme $5 and I'll
mail you one.

Miles

Old May 10th 04, 10:58 AM
JD

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message . ..
Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

Are you on Mars?

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?

King is the King of headsets. Buy crap and get crap. After running a
CK on my SS with rigid forks for over 4 years now and not having to
jack around with the headset at all ever, why buy any other headset or
try to substitute crap parts? You are only asking for trouble, so
send Miles $5 now.

JD
Old May 10th 04, 01:46 PM
PeteCresswell

...Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
in an attempt to control discounting.

Another reason to buy another brand....
Old May 10th 04, 09:10 PM
PeteCresswell

Heck, I have a ziploc bag full of the damned things. Gimme $5 and I'll
mail you one.

Flip a U.S. mail address to 20040520.fatbelly.cotse.net.

I'll mail you twenty bucks for 4.
Old May 10th 04, 09:56 PM
D T W .../\\...

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
I've already got Chris King.

Getting another bike.

Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
between bikes in a pinch.

Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
put on the fork.

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?
--
PeteCresswell

Peter,

This thread has lost me. Will you have CK headsets on both bikes, or are
you looking to use another brand with a CK lower race?

I assumed that you'd like to have a different brand of headset which would
use a CK lower race.

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old May 10th 04, 10:09 PM
bomba

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:10:50 -0700, PeteCresswell wrote:

Flip a U.S. mail address to 20040520.fatbelly.cotse.net.

Church of the swimming elephant?