How much power does an average recreational rider generate whenclimbing?

Old September 16th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

Default How much power does an average recreational rider generate when climbing?

"Michael Press" wrote in message

WPW?

It was not diagnosed as such, but not addressed (to me at least) as
being
ruled out either. My main problem with it now is triggering it with a
sudden
dropoff in heartrate, such as coasting after going up a hill in a
criterium
or after doing a hard effort like an interval. I can avoid triggering
it
by
gradually tapering off from the hard effort.

I had an appointment for an ablation last March, but the
electrophysiologist
who was going to do the procedure said that there was about a one in a
hundred chance of "something bad" happening during the procedure.
Also,
that
it wasn't a certainty that the procedure would solve the problem. I
decided
that I can wait a few years and see if those odds improve. Wikipedia
notes
that Bobby Julich had an ablation back in 1995 for an arrhythmia.

I have a definite diagnosis with a precise location,
and decided against treatment. I know how to manage
myself, and recognize increased susceptibility to PAT
by how I feel.

I know how to manage myself too, but when there are continuous attacks on
the upside of a hill and the immediate downside has several turns that
you
have to coast through, it's not easy to manage.

No, it is not. Pretty much impossible.

My events have lasted anywhere from a couple of seconds to about 16
hours.
Although I have never had any related lightheadedness, my cardiologist
was
concerned about the possibility that I might become lightheaded from an
event while riding and crash. I had to laugh and told him that I would be
worried about something like that if I were an open water swimmer, but
I'm
not alarmed about possibly crashing while on my bike.

Sixteen hours of what? Susceptibility? Or tachycardia?
Sixteen hours is too long for the latter. You can shorten
the episodes to an hour or two; and less, mostly.

--
Michael Press

How did you shorten them to an hour or two? If you could shorten them to
within an hour or two, why not shorten them to five minutes or a minute or
30 seconds?

I've tried the various tricks of blocking one carotid, bearing down like
taking a really harsh dump, and coughing.

Old September 16th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Carl Sundquist wrote:

[...]

I've experienced that on rare occasion and crashed benignly twice but
once took a dive off the road and broke a collar bone in the sand.
I'm not sure what the cause is, but it could be hyper ventilation as
well as heart arrhythmia, something I have possibly had since mitral
valve replacement. It doesn't affect my climbing rate for nearly all
rides I have taken since the valve job.

Beyond that, I recall that years ago I had to control breathing
occasionally on descents after hard climbing to avoid hyper
ventilation. If you feel dizzy, STOP and it should recover without
problem.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 16th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Carl Sundquist" wrote:

[...]

Clamping down will often force a normal heartbeat, but not always.
There is no guaranteed method. These two schemes bring me closer
to cessation of the tachycardia, and make a clamp more likely to
be successful if they do not work themselves.

Cold water splash on the face.
Hatha yoga posture balasana.
Assume the balasana posture with arms extended anteriorly.
Hold the pose for up to but no more than five minutes.
Exhale easily and slowly, relaxing into the exhale.
http://www.yogacards.com/yoga-postures-2/Balasana-child-pose.html

My best approach is to know when I am particularly susceptible
and to breath easily, being sure to relax into the exhale.
Prevention is an option.

--
Michael Press