mixed derailleurs

Old August 29th 04, 02:51 AM
Libuser

Default mixed derailleurs

Hello,

I saw a bike with a road FD and a mountain RD. I wonder what is the
rationale behind this.

Thanks.
Old August 29th 04, 02:56 AM
bfd

"Libuser" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I saw a bike with a road FD and a mountain RD. I wonder what is the
rationale behind this.

So the rider can use *wider* gearing? That is, if he had say a road double,
but wanted more gears in the rear, e.g., 30/32/34t, then the use of a "mt"
rear der, which btw use to be called a long cage rear der, would allow him
to use those gears.....

Old August 29th 04, 03:25 AM
Rich Clark

"Libuser" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I saw a bike with a road FD and a mountain RD. I wonder what is the
rationale behind this.

Two of my bikes -- the ones I commute, tour, and do hilly country rides
on -- are set up this way. I use a road triple in front, and an 11-32 MTB
cassette in the back, which requires a long-cage derailleur. I'm a horrible
climber, and I need the low gears, but I still like to be able to get some
speed up on the flats and descents.

RichC

Old August 29th 04, 04:47 AM
cheg

"Libuser" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I saw a bike with a road FD and a mountain RD. I wonder what is the
rationale behind this.

Thanks.

The distinction between road and mountain derailleurs is artificial. It's more
useful to call them long cage/short cage or wide range/narrow range. As usual,
Sheldon Brown says it succinctly:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...rown.com#link4

BTW: I run an old suntour "Road" FD (to get 52/48/33 chainwheels) with a Shimano
Deore "Mountain" RD (to get a 32 inch to 100 inch gear range).