Re extending life of chain etc

Old August 26th 04, 05:17 PM
Bob in CT

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:59:24 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:55:38 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:

23mm tires on my touring bike.

That statement alone is enough to bait me. LOL It completely contradicts
itself.

Unless you weigh less than 130#, touring on anything skinnier than a
700x28 just doesn't make sense. The 23's won't make you go any faster and
you'll get more flats. I'll allow 25's for CC touring of course.

Unfortunately, I bought extra 23 tires, so I'm riding them. Mr Tuffies
help with the flats, though.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old August 26th 04, 05:48 PM
David Reuteler

maxo wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:55:38 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:

23mm tires on my touring bike.

That statement alone is enough to bait me. LOL It completely contradicts
itself.

Unless you weigh less than 130#, touring on anything skinnier than a
700x28 just doesn't make sense. The 23's won't make you go any faster and
you'll get more flats. I'll allow 25's for CC touring of course.

yea, you'd have to understand that i'm an apartment dweller so my touring
bike does double duty as a road bike (i only have 2 bikes .. the other is
my track bike commuter) so i'm not touring on it w/ 23 or 25mm tires. a
has been said, touring bikes can make good road bikes but not vice versa.
--
david reuteler

Old August 29th 04, 06:38 AM
maxo

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:48:39 +0000, David Reuteler wrote:

yea, you'd have to understand that i'm an apartment dweller so my touring
bike does double duty as a road bike

Been there, and understand, though I went the other direction.

I had one bike, a 7 speed nexus city bike that I did every thing on.

Exercised, commuted, and attached baskets to once a week for that ride to
Devon street in Chicago for yummy Indian Groceries.

For a couple years, I got rid of all of my cycling specific clothes and
whatnot and did it all in street clothes. If I needed exercise on Sunday,
then I'd plan on going to mass at a place 7 miles north, or if I needed
coconut milk on a Tuesday, I'd ride to Argyle street instead of the local
market.

FWIW, I found the most comfortable shoes to wear in these escapades to be
Blundstone boots--they're light, weatherproof, and slip easily into clips.