Help, rear derailleur

Old July 25th 05, 12:38 PM
LSMike

Default Help, rear derailleur

I bought a new rear derailleur for my 'bent, and it seems to spring the
wrong way.

The original has Deore XT marked on it (I think circa 2001), and it's like
my Specialized hybrid, the spring pulls the deraileur towards the little
sprocket. The new one pulls in the opposite direction, towards the big one.
The springs go to different sides of the parallelogram. The one I bought is
a Shimano RDM760SGS

I'm confused, help! Should I buy a different one and return this one, or
should I just run the right SRAM gripshifter so it works in the opposite to
normal way?

Old July 25th 05, 12:49 PM
Pete Biggs

LSMike wrote:
I bought a new rear derailleur for my 'bent, and it seems to spring
the wrong way.

The original has Deore XT marked on it (I think circa 2001), and it's
like my Specialized hybrid, the spring pulls the deraileur towards
the little sprocket. The new one pulls in the opposite direction,
towards the big one. The springs go to different sides of the
parallelogram. The one I bought is a Shimano RDM760SGS

You have the "Rapid Rise" version. A standard version is available: M750:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=153

I'm confused, help! Should I buy a different one and return this
one, or should I just run the right SRAM gripshifter so it works in
the opposite to normal way?

Whichever you prefer.

~PB

Old July 25th 05, 01:13 PM
David Martin

Pete Biggs wrote:
LSMike wrote:
I bought a new rear derailleur for my 'bent, and it seems to spring
the wrong way.

The original has Deore XT marked on it (I think circa 2001), and it's
like my Specialized hybrid, the spring pulls the deraileur towards
the little sprocket. The new one pulls in the opposite direction,
towards the big one. The springs go to different sides of the
parallelogram. The one I bought is a Shimano RDM760SGS

You have the "Rapid Rise" version. A standard version is available: M750:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=153

I'm confused, help! Should I buy a different one and return this
one, or should I just run the right SRAM gripshifter so it works in
the opposite to normal way?

Whichever you prefer.

return the 'Rapid Rise'. They are crap and IME prone to failure
(warning: rule 1 applies[1])
get the correct one and then it will work properly with your gripshift.

...d

[1] Statistical data collection.
1. for unambiguous results, only collect one data point.
2. For a straight line, only collect two data points.

Old July 25th 05, 01:58 PM
LSMike

"David Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pete Biggs wrote:

You have the "Rapid Rise" version. A standard version is available:
M750:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=153

I'm confused, help! Should I buy a different one and return this
one, or should I just run the right SRAM gripshifter so it works in
the opposite to normal way?

Whichever you prefer.

return the 'Rapid Rise'. They are crap and IME prone to failure
(warning: rule 1 applies[1])
get the correct one and then it will work properly with your gripshift.

..d

[1] Statistical data collection.
1. for unambiguous results, only collect one data point.
2. For a straight line, only collect two data points.

Thanks both of you, I've decided to return them. I'd rather have my bike
work the way I'm used to, and the Chain reaction link is pretty cheap
compared to wiggle, worth the return postage anyway. Next time I'd better
do my research a little more carefully, oops!

Old July 25th 05, 03:18 PM
Peter B

"LSMike" wrote in message
Thanks both of you, I've decided to return them. I'd rather have my bike
work the way I'm used to, and the Chain reaction link is pretty cheap
compared to wiggle, worth the return postage anyway. Next time I'd better
do my research a little more carefully, oops!

As an aside, I ordered the incorrect version of an XT front mech from
Chainreaction and their service regarding telephone advice, sending the
correct replacement item and issuing a credit for my returned one was
superb.
Next time I too will seek their advice before ordering if in doubt.
--
Pete

Old July 25th 05, 03:43 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , LSMike
') wrote:

I bought a new rear derailleur for my 'bent, and it seems to spring the
wrong way.

The original has Deore XT marked on it (I think circa 2001), and it's
like my Specialized hybrid, the spring pulls the deraileur towards the
little
sprocket. The new one pulls in the opposite direction, towards the big
one.
The springs go to different sides of the parallelogram. The one I
bought is a Shimano RDM760SGS

It's 'Rapid Rise', which is a marketing gimmick allegedly arising out of
Shimano's titanium sprockets being too bendy to cope with a conventional
derailleur. It has the mild saving grace that changing up on both
derailleurs requires the same control action. In my opinion the best
option is to return it and get another make.

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant