Trek 4 the Troops

Old October 25th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Drackman

Default Trek 4 the Troops

wrote in message
ups.com...
In December, 2006 I'm embarking on a cross country ride to raise
awareness and nonpartisan support for our troops involved in the war in
Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm calling the ride Trek 4 the Troops, and I
welcome you to read more about it www.trek4thetroops.com.

IMO the best way to support the troops is to support organizations that want
to get them safely home ASAP.

Old October 25th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
B. Lafferty

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
. ..
Sure, I'll make donations to the American Friends Service Committee and
Move On in your name. The best was to support the troops is to bring
them home NOW and vote Democrat in November.

Brian: While I agree with your sentiments, it's wrong to assume a
reasonable person couldn't make a reasonable case for the other side
(keeping troops there, or putting them there in the first place). And as
for the Democratic party, sorry, I can't help but think that Bill Clinton
passed up opportunities to deal with this before things got totally out of
hand. When the inspectors weren't allowed to inspect, he could have
ordered immediate reprisals each and every time. Eventually the message
gets home. You let the inspectors do their job, or something gets bombed.
A direct linkage. But we seem to have problems with that sort of thing; in
our military handbooks, apparently it's a requirement that all such things
lead to escalation and ever-greater involvement.

I can't believe I'm replying in this thread.

Bill Clinton has been out of office for six long years during which the
Republican Party has controlled the Executive branch and both Houses of
Congress. Bill Clinton didn't invade Iraq. He continued the policies
toward Iraq that were in place from the prior Bush administration. The
evidence is clear that the intelligence people in Clinton's outgoing
National Security Council tried to tell the incoming Bush people about bin
Laden but the warnings fell on deaf, ideological ears. Bush and the
Republican party made this mess and America is finally waking up--too late
for the needlessly dead and maimed. And now the Taliban is returning in
Afghanistan because Bush diverted the war machine to Iraq. The only people
coming out of this on the plus side are the leaders of the arms industry.
And then there's that budget deficit every year under Bush. My kids will be
paying for that and their kids as well.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

link.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
In December, 2006 I'm embarking on a cross country ride to raise
awareness and nonpartisan support for our troops involved in the war in
Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm calling the ride Trek 4 the Troops, and I
welcome you to read more about it www.trek4thetroops.com.

What makes this ride different from other cross-continental
awareness/fund raising rides?

The ride will be done solo, without a support vehicle, on a fixed-gear.
That's right, FIXED GEAR! To the best of my knowledge only a
select few have ever traversed the continent on a fixed-gear, and some
might say that the attempt is crazy.

I'll be following a fairly southerly route from San Diego to
Savannah, and I welcome anyone/everyone to ride along should I pass
through your area. Fixed gear bikes not required! I'll be updating
the ride website every day, and who knows, maybe your picture will show
up there.

In the meantime, please visit www.americasupportsyou.mil and see how
you can help in the effort to support our service men and women serving
our country in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm not soliciting funds or donations directly. I have no way (or
desire) to handle donations of cash. I'm asking that folks select
one of the many fine organizations that are doing a wonderful job
supporting the troops, so please help however you can.

thanks!

Scott Hendricks

p.s. for the usenet nazis on rec.bicycles.racing who think this
doesn't have anything to do with bicycle racing, you're right. If
it'll make you feel better, think of it as my winter fixed gear base
mile riding in preparation for next season!

Old October 25th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Start your own thread, please!

B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

Brian, et al...

I implore you, please start your own thread if you want to bash Bush or
discuss the war itself. I'm not talking about supporting the
administration or the war. I'm just trying to generate support for the
folks who're asked to do the hard work.

If you have a single sympathetic gene in your body for the folks
actually fighting, suffering, or dying in the war in Iraq and
Afghanistan, you'll take your political discussions elsewhere.

thank you,

Scott

Old October 25th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Smokey

wrote:
[...]

A motorcycle organization I belong to has been making up what we call
Care Boxes for our troops in Iraq. They really appreciate them and send
us nice letters back. I think this is a wonderful thing you're doing
and hope you get plenty of support. Be sure and tell us how the trip
went when you are done.

Smokey

Old October 25th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Smokey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your support. Not only will I let you know how things went,
I'll be posting daily updates on the webpage, so you can follow along
as I go.

Thanks again!

Scott

Old October 26th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article
,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Anybody that puts p.s. in an electronic message is a
moron, since a postscript goes after the signature, and
only ever had utility in handwritten communications
when a further item occurred to the writer after
composing and writing the missive. Electronic articles
are easily edited anytime up to the time they are
transmitted.

Maybe in your world. A great many times people use a "PS:" deliberately, in
a pre-meditated action (meaning they planned to do so while writing the
letter or whatever), in order to give additional emphasis to an idea. It
often has nothing to do with editing.

Emails have not changed that. They might make such intentions appear more
obvious, but they don't automatically negate the reasons people have
historically used a "PS" (postcript) in a correspondence.

Do you teach your Grammaw how to suck eggs?

"Michael Press" wrote in message
In article
. com,
wrote:

p.s. for the usenet nazis on rec.bicycles.racing who think this
doesn't have anything to do with bicycle racing, you're right. If
it'll make you feel better, think of it as my winter fixed gear base
mile riding in preparation for next season!

I challenge you to find one usenet nazi posting to rbr
from rbr.

--
Michael Press
Old October 26th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Rich Clark

wrote in message
ups.com...

So, I'd like to ask everyone to NOT hijack the thread, turning it into
a political debate. That's been done to death in previous threads and
isn't appropriate here.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide what's appropriate. *I* don't think
it's appropriate for someone to represent bicyclists, even by the remotest
inference, as supporting this war, since I am a bicyclist and I don't
support the war.

You may think that it's possible to separate "support the troops" from
"support the war," but I don't. The troops are there to execute an immoral
and illegal policy on behalf of a rogue government, and the only support I
can conscientiously give them is to try to get them out of there. Helping
them in their mission makes me complicit in it.

I would support you riding across America on a "bring the troops home now"
mission, however, and would be happy to donate to that.

RichC

Old October 26th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Rich Clark wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Funny, but the only reason you get to express your sentiments on this
is because better men than you have fought to preserve that right.

Fred