Anybody here having problems with Avid Juicy hydraulic brakes?

Old March 16th 04, 07:29 AM
G.T.

Default Anybody here having problems with Avid Juicy hydraulic brakes?

My troubles started after I got a bleed kit so that I could cut down the
far too long hoses. My rear brake hose has been holding up fine. The
front, however, has been a pain:

On my 1st ride on this bike after I shortened the hoses I fell over. It
was a 5 mph crash that beat the **** out of me (I've never had so many cuts
and bruises, even from much higher speed crashes) and possibly cracked the
compression nut on the front brake lever. After truing the front wheel (it
had gotten stuck between a boulder and concrete slab as I fell over) I was
squeezing the front brake lever when the lever pulled all the way to the
bar and brake fluid squirted out along the hose. After pulling it apart,
reassembling, and bleeding the brake, it still leaked. Upon pulling it
apart this time I noticed that the compression nut was cracked on the
threaded end. So I called Avid and they told me the compression nuts are
brittle and they would send me one. Thankfully, or so I thought at the
time, they sent two.

My second attempt to attach the front hose to the lever was done extremely
carefully given that I knew the compression nuts were problematic. I'm
tightening the compression nut down and long before it's tight I hear a
tiny crack. Damn, there goes another one, I pull it out and sure enough
the threaded end is cracked. So I think to myself "I'm glad they sent me
two". So I attempt the 2nd one. Keep in mind that each time I've done
this I've cut the hose to install a new hose barb and compressor so the
hose is starting to get a bit short.

So I install the 2nd one being even more careful and I think I have it
tight enough so I bleed the brakes. Upon testing them I obviously haven't
gotten them tight enough since they leak. I tighten the compression nut a
little. Still leak. I tighten it a little more. Still leak. I barely
move the compression nut and, CRACK, the hex end breaks. But, it no longer
leaks. Much. And I have a seriously cracked compression nut. Anyway, I
was dying to ride this bike so I took it out for a little road ride so I
wouldn't have to use the front brake much. Kind of a waste for a Turner 5
Spot.

So earlier tonight after gathering another hose barb, compressor,
compression nut, and my newly acquired 8mm flare nut wrench (a find in
itself) I attempt to remove the cracked compression nut. Yeah, right. It
just crumbled in the wrench. Now I'm sitting here with a mess. Tomorrow
we'll see how Avid handles this.

Anybody else here experienced these problems? I know the ratio here leans
toward the road so I'm not expecting much input, just wanted to rant.

Greg

Old March 16th 04, 12:52 PM
Xtc

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
om...
Just replace that junk with v-brakes. Disk brakes on a bicycle are one
of the biggest jokes ever put on by the industry. It's just crazy how
people get hooked into such things.

Right...v-brakes don't fade on a 35lb + freeride going down hill. v-brakes
are great on xc, but disks are needed on extreme conditions. hype or no
hype.

Old March 16th 04, 01:22 PM
Jamie TrailBlazer At Large

If you still having trouble .swap out the brakes for there cable disk
brakes.These rate as one of the best.Sound like they need to get this nut
problem fixed.That is one reason if I went to disk brakes I would use the
cable type.
lose the fluid on your lose the ride.I would talk to avid and see what they
would do .
Good luck

--
J/O TrailBlazer at Large

Old March 16th 04, 02:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

evan- Just replace that junk with v-brakes. Disk brakes on a bicycle are one
of the biggest jokes ever put on by the industry. It's just crazy how
people get hooked into such things. BRBR

Or at least Avid mechanicals..nice brakes.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old March 16th 04, 04:16 PM
Chris B.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:52:48 GMT, "Xtc" wrote:

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
. com...
Just replace that junk with v-brakes. Disk brakes on a bicycle are one
of the biggest jokes ever put on by the industry. It's just crazy how
people get hooked into such things.

Right...v-brakes don't fade on a 35lb + freeride going down hill. v-brakes
are great on xc, but disks are needed on extreme conditions. hype or no
hype.

Isn't fade due to heat buildup? Don't rims have much more area to
them?
Old March 16th 04, 09:20 PM
ZeeExSixAre

Anybody else here experienced these problems? I know the ratio here leans
toward the road so I'm not expecting much input, just wanted to rant.

The members rec.bike.tech don't appreciate the buttery smoothness and power
of hydros. They tend to better appreciate the hardiness of well-made,
bullet-proof products at a cheap price. Hence all the mech recommendations.

I would suggest the LBS for this one. They can eat the **** this next time
around and get Avid working on a REAL solution that REAL people can easily
solve.

Avid will likely pass you off as a ham-fisted mechanic (which you obviously
are not), but if shops begin complaining...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old March 17th 04, 08:03 AM
G.T.

Jonesy wrote:
"G.T." wrote in message om...

My troubles started after I got a bleed kit so that I could cut down the
far too long hoses. My rear brake hose has been holding up fine. The
front, however, has been a pain:

[snip tale of woe]

I love my Avid mechs, but hydro brakes are better. Now, I understand
that the best hydro lines in the business are made by Goodridge.
Chain Reaction Cycles sells them (in the U.K.) and Mike visits here
often. Now, I do not know if there is a kit suitable for Avid Juicy
brakes, but I'm guessing there will be shortly.

Yeah, but not quite yet.

Here's my recommendation:

Put away the Juicys for a while, until Goodridge comes out with a kit,
or Avid congeals their feces. Go with some Hayes hydros, then sell
them on eBay after you're done using them, and recoup most of your
investment.

Simple!

Well, I'm doing something like that. I have a rim-brake compatabile rim
and brake posts on my fork. So I've got the luverly combo of front v-brake
and rear hydraulic disk until I get this sorted out.

Greg