Does America have the best sidewalks to ride in the world?

Old November 6th 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Does America have the best sidewalks to ride in the world?

Who needs bike lanes?

I guess, having sidewalk ramps just about every corner, you can cross
easily from sidewalk to sidewalk. I think they were originally
intended for wheelchairs, but I'm sure bikers outnumber handicap users
at least 10 to 1.

True that the American suburb where the well-to-do live, often lacks
sidewalks at all, but chances are that if you live there you own an
SUV.

So it is that sidewalks in America carry a good chunk of cyclists that
otherwise would not have a chance to ride since are our roads remain
no-man's land.

Yep, we probably have the best sidewalks in the world.

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
(home of the Dutch model!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old November 6th 08, 08:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by genec

"BS

Even our sidewalks are often narrow and filled with all sorts of junk
from traffic light control boxes to mail boxes to bus benches and
light poles...

And then there are the pedestrians..."

Damned, I forgot about the pedestrians!

But the obstacles on the way you may consider like an obstacle
course.
Old November 6th 08, 09:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by uke

"Our sidewalks are rubbish, and there aren't any to speak of in small
towns."

That word (rubbish) sounds like Queen's English. In the States you'd
say crappy or garbage.

One question, if there's no sidewalks, how can pedestrians get around?
Or they'd have to wear hiking shoes to walk over the grass?

The Revolution will Not be Motorized

http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace
Old November 6th 08, 09:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
Who needs bike lanes?

I guess, having sidewalk ramps just about every corner, you can cross
easily from sidewalk to sidewalk. I think they were originally
intended for wheelchairs, but I'm sure bikers outnumber handicap users
at least 10 to 1.

True that the American suburb where the well-to-do live, often lacks
sidewalks at all, but chances are that if you live there you own an
SUV.

So it is that sidewalks in America carry a good chunk of cyclists that
otherwise would not have a chance to ride since are our roads remain
no-man's land.

Yep, we probably have the best sidewalks in the world.

Sidewalks belong to pedestrians, not cyclists. If a cyclist is on a
sidewalk, he should be walking his bike, not riding it.

There are plenty of roads in the land that have good shoulders. Also, most
residential streets are suitable for cyclists. Just stay off of unsuitable
roads and high speed highways with no shoulders and you will be fine.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 6th 08, 10:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Nov 6, 3:42*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

Minnesota is too far from the real world to know what's going on. In
the American cities, the poor and the not so poor ride the sidewalks
because they are afraid to ride on the road. Either sidewalks or don't
ride at all, wich is what the 99.6% of Americans do when they choose
NOT to ride a bike to work.

It's a simple survival strategy. But you keep denying the model of the
jungle, and even the existence of the beasts out there.
Old November 6th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 3:42 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

[...]
[...]

Minnesota is as ****ed-up as any other state in the union, including the
****ed-up state of Florida. Sidewalks are for pedestrians, streets are for
bicycles - you poor dumb stupid *******! If you want to do something useful,
advocate for bike paths.

It's a simple survival strategy. But you keep denying the model of the

jungle, and even the existence of the beasts out there.

You are too dumb to ever leave your house. I suggest you stay there hiding
under your bed. That way only the cockroaches will get you!

Old November 7th 08, 01:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Nov 6, 4:44*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Bike paths... Just mention that name here... and you'll be cursed by
the elite cyclists.

It's hard to understand, but so is your belief that we can make bike
paths when the stupid war and all the predatory lending drained all
the money we had. So now there's "no dinero"... Comprende? We are
broke, and for all his good intentions, not even Obama can pick us
from our sad state of affairs.

You'll be lucky if you can get to your dream nursing home. Of course,
they've got stationary bikes, so go for it.

It's a simple survival strategy. But you keep denying the model of the

jungle, and even the existence of the beasts out there.

You are too dumb to ever leave your house. I suggest you stay there hiding
under your bed. That way only the cockroaches will get you!

Believe it or not I declared war on the roaches using simple Boric
Acid, and they went away.

That's a good metaphor that jungle can be conquered. Roaches, beware!
Old November 7th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

[...]

Elite cyclists are a miniscule minority of cyclists. You are an idiot if you
ever pay the slightest attention to them.

It's hard to understand, but so is your belief that we can make bike

paths when the stupid war and all the predatory lending drained all
the money we had. So now there's "no dinero"... Comprende? We are
broke, and for all his good intentions, not even Obama can pick us
from our sad state of affairs.

Yes, I fear you are right. I think the day of the bike path has come and
gone too.

You'll be lucky if you can get to your dream nursing home. Of course,

they've got stationary bikes, so go for it.

In the end, we all end up walking, the one thing that nature designed us to
do. When I can no longer walk, I want to be dead.

It's a simple survival strategy. But you keep denying the model of the

jungle, and even the existence of the beasts out there.

You are too dumb to ever leave your house. I suggest you stay there hiding
under your bed. That way only the cockroaches will get you!

Believe it or not I declared war on the roaches using simple Boric

Acid, and they went away.

That's a good metaphor that jungle can be conquered. Roaches, beware!

Well, you are not easy to insult I must admit so maybe I will stop doing it.
Just stay off the liberal asshole nonsense and we can most likely get along.

Old November 7th 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Nov 6, 8:06*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

See, there's the rub... And it ain't that I'm liberal, just that I
believe that I find ridiculous that we lack BIKE LANES, BIKE PATHS,
AND ALL KINDS OF BIKE FACILITIES... Why? Because they don't make
enough money for the system... Yeah, IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY, my friend.
We are trashing the planet and risking nuclear war so we can make
money and more money. IT'S NOT ABOUT RACE ANYM0RE... IT'S ABOUT MONEY!

(Somebody questions here that cyclists are discriminated when even
blacks can make it to the White House)

Veloire wrote:
“we are also the victim of discrimination and abuse”

I don’t think any of us ever been discriminated all the way to the oval office…

(I say)

Discrimination today is based on economic status, not race. Well,
sometimes they go together, but riding a bike for practical purposes
signals that you are at the bottom of the food chain, where not only
you get discriminated against (drivers often blast the horn at you to
get out… and go unpunished), but also you can get killed.

The weak must join the strong --or stay home.

Old November 7th 08, 08:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

[...]

You need to get out of Florida. The roads there are narrow and too much
traffic. Cyclists need their own bike paths. That is the alpha and the omega
of it all. Too many people - not enough space.