Tires for mud, rock, and roots

Old October 8th 03, 09:52 PM
Lephturn

Default Tires for mud, rock, and roots

Looking for personal experience tire recommendations. Preferably low priced
ones. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I ride technical XC, lots of mud,
rock, and roots, often damp. Combine with leaves on the ground this time of
year, and it's quite slick. Most recommendations I read are for hard-pack
or more dry conditions. I was running uber-cheap Panaracer Smoke and Dart,
which actually worked pretty well through the dry part of the summer,
despite being quite worn. Now that things are getting damp again, these
worn boots are not gonna cut it.

Oh, and I ride a hardtail with V brakes, so 2.1 is about as wide as I can
go. Thanks in advance!

Lephturn

Old October 8th 03, 10:29 PM
Andrew Thorne

Looking for personal experience tire recommendations. Preferably low priced
ones. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I ride technical XC, lots of mud,
rock, and roots, often damp. Combine with leaves on the ground this time of
year, and it's quite slick. Most recommendations I read are for hard-pack
or more dry conditions. I was running uber-cheap Panaracer Smoke and Dart,
which actually worked pretty well through the dry part of the summer,
despite being quite worn. Now that things are getting damp again, these
worn boots are not gonna cut it.

Oh, and I ride a hardtail with V brakes, so 2.1 is about as wide as I can
go. Thanks in advance!

Lephturn

In back, either a V-raptor 2.1, Michelin HOT S, or Continental Survival Pro.
Motoraptor 2.4 up front.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old October 9th 03, 01:21 AM
Michael Dart

"Lephturn" wrote in message
news
Looking for personal experience tire recommendations. Preferably low

priced
ones. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I ride technical XC, lots of

mud,
rock, and roots, often damp. Combine with leaves on the ground this time

of
year, and it's quite slick. Most recommendations I read are for hard-pack
or more dry conditions. I was running uber-cheap Panaracer Smoke and

Dart,
which actually worked pretty well through the dry part of the summer,
despite being quite worn. Now that things are getting damp again, these
worn boots are not gonna cut it.

Oh, and I ride a hardtail with V brakes, so 2.1 is about as wide as I can
go. Thanks in advance!

Lephturn

IRC Serac 2.1 (Japanese redwalls) run as low pressure as you can.

Mike

Old October 9th 03, 02:22 AM
Gary in VA

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

IRC Serac 2.1 (Japanese redwalls) run as low pressure as you can.

I'll second that. Works great on wet, slippery roots. The mud around here is
clay based so just about every tire packs up and the Seracs do a decent job
of self cleaning.

Gary in VA

Old October 9th 03, 04:00 PM
Penny S

Gary in VA scrawled in bright red lipstick:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message

IRC Serac 2.1 (Japanese redwalls) run as low pressure as you can.

I'll second that. Works great on wet, slippery roots. The mud around
here is clay based so just about every tire packs up and the Seracs
do a decent job of self cleaning.

Gary in VA

everything that was NOT recommened for my dry, sandy, loose rock conditions.
;-)

Penny

Old October 9th 03, 04:33 PM
Michael Dart

"Penny S" wrote in message
Gary in VA scrawled in bright red lipstick:
"Michael Dart" wrote in message

IRC Serac 2.1 (Japanese redwalls) run as low pressure as you can.

I'll second that. Works great on wet, slippery roots. The mud around
here is clay based so just about every tire packs up and the Seracs
do a decent job of self cleaning.

Gary in VA

everything that was NOT recommened for my dry, sandy, loose rock

conditions.
;-)

Penny

They work great for that too. They're really good tyres. ;^)

Mike

Old October 10th 03, 02:28 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Sounds like a fair swap.

Shaun aRe

Old October 14th 03, 06:01 PM
Tony Scilipoti

"Lephturn" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
Looking for personal experience tire recommendations. Preferably low priced
ones. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I ride technical XC, lots of mud,
rock, and roots, often damp.

I ride XC in similar conditions (Maine). With the return of the damp
weather last month I blew forty dollars on a Conti Survival Pro 2.1.
(Why do Contis never go on sale?) I put in on the rear wheel and have
been very happy with it so far, although obviously a month is not a
thorough test. Even the grossest mud falls off it like it was made of
teflon, and the tire is pretty good on the off-angle wet roots that
are typical of trails I ride. Sometimes it skips a lug and makes your
heart do the same, but then it grabs on and off you go. Not a fast
smooth tire, obviously.

On the front I put a Geax Blade 2.0, based on reviews on MTBR, and
based on the fact that I got it for fifteen bucks. The jury is still
out on that one. The bad news is that it cakes up with mud very easily
and does not let go, so if thick mud is your number one issue, I'd
stay away. On the other hand, it has a wonderful soft, supple, clingy,
grippy feel that I love and that gives me confidence on the rocks,
roots, and pine needles.

I weigh 130 and run both tires with superlight tubes at about 30 psi
and haven't yet gotten my first flat with this setup. (I also don't
jump.)

- Tony