Basso to San Francisco?

Old August 5th 05, 08:00 PM
gym.gravity

Default Basso to San Francisco?

Velonews is calling it the San Francisco Grand Prix. And it looks like
the women's race is back on? Who's sponsoring it now?

Old August 5th 05, 09:38 PM
k.papai

As far as I know they have not announced the sponsor yet (multi year).
San Francisco city did give Threshold a break in fees they normally
charge this year.

CSC will certainly be there in force. I hope Basso makes a cameo. I am
hoping for some good behind the scenes images.

And, are you SURE the women's race is being held?

-Ken

Old August 5th 05, 09:59 PM
Diablo Scott

k.papai wrote:

As far as I know they have not announced the sponsor yet (multi year).
San Francisco city did give Threshold a break in fees they normally
charge this year.

CSC will certainly be there in force. I hope Basso makes a cameo. I am
hoping for some good behind the scenes images.

And, are you SURE the women's race is being held?

-Ken

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/8660.0.html

The article doesn't mention the women's race at all. Here's what Basso
says:

"It's not sure, but it's 90 percent sure I will race in San Francisco,"
Basso said. "I will take a short break after the Tour of Denmark to
finalize the schedule for the remainder of the season."

I'm hoping he brings his sister.

Old August 5th 05, 10:03 PM
Tom Kunich

As far as I know there will be no women's race at the SFGP because the
cost of road closures is WAY too much.

Old August 5th 05, 10:03 PM
Tom Kunich

Old August 6th 05, 03:27 AM
Paul Hays

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:03:09 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote
(in article .com):

As far as I know there will be no women's race at the SFGP because the
cost of road closures is WAY too much.

In the past, hasn't the women's race been held on the morning of the mens
race using the same course? If so, I can't imagine that road closure costs
would really be an issue.

Old August 6th 05, 11:19 PM

Paul Hays wrote:

In the past, hasn't the women's race been held on the morning of the mens
race using the same course? If so, I can't imagine that road closure costs
would really be an issue.

As I understand it, the main cost is the fees for police along the
course...and 2-3 more hours of police could be in the six-figures...or
so I was told by some people who may know. I guess that cost along with
the lighter attendance during the woman's race made the cost less
attractive.

Jim

Old August 7th 05, 11:07 AM
gym.gravity

k.papai wrote:
As far as I know they have not announced the sponsor yet (multi year).
San Francisco city did give Threshold a break in fees they normally
charge this year.

CSC will certainly be there in force. I hope Basso makes a cameo. I am
hoping for some good behind the scenes images.

And, are you SURE the women's race is being held?

-Ken

No, not sure at all. After reading the Velonews article I looked it up
to see what it was calling itself. On the PCT website I thought I saw
something about the women's race for 2005 and I remember hearing there
wouldn't be one. I just checked it again, and now there is a new press
release, dated july 27th, that says Threshold is the main sponsor and
that there won't be a women's race. It wasn't there on Friday, I
swear, so I think they just updated it:

http://www.procyclingtour.com/news.cfm/press_id/88

Old August 8th 05, 04:26 AM
Sir Topham Hatt