'92 Trek 2300

Old April 4th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Callistus Valerius

Default '92 Trek 2300

My brother-in-law gave me a '92 Trek 2300, and I'm kind of going over it
before I give it to give to my nephew who doesn't have a road bike, I
already have 3. Are there any issues with this bike? It has a Shimano 600
8 speed on it. What's the threading on the BB, what BB's work in these? I
noticed a potential problem with how it locks the seatpost in, using the
frame, instead of a collar, like today's bikes. But I don't see any cracks.
I assume where it isn't carbon, it's aluminum. The seat stays look kind of
skinny, in comparison to today's aluminum bikes. Then it has the notorious
buzz machine, an aluminum fork, that looks a little skinny too. Any issues
with these?

Old April 4th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I believe the real issue with these frames was the carbon tubes separating
from the aluminum lugs. one of my friends had one let go at the joint
between the seat tube and BB lug. My daughter had a seat clamp lug break. I
believe it was a problem on the 1400 frame as well. She still has a '97 2300
in the house which gets used a lot.

With that said, the 2300 was an awesome handling bike. Once you add a carbon
fork it is pretty terrific. My daughter would use her 2300 for crit racing
over her factory team 5500 quite often. She rides a 47 frame, which may have
made a difference. From what I understand, they killed the 2300 because it
was a lot cheaper to make the 5500 and related series. I think it was around
'97 when Trek offered the final 2300, with a carbon fork.

Bruce

Old April 4th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Callistus Valerius

[...]

---------
When the seat clamp lug broke, did that kill the frame?

Old April 4th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

Sure did. We sent it back to Trek. I think they gave her a new frame. It is
a really involved fix, best to just replace and be done with it. The one
thing that Trek does better than most any other companies is service. I have
smashed, broke or otherwise pulled apart my share of the 5500 series frames.
When it came to warranty issues, Trek always came through for us. We are not
a Trek dealer. With all of the criticism about, the company still excels at
a few things...

Bruce

Old April 4th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

[...]

Very nice, smooth-riding machine. Still see lots of them out on centuries.

The 8-speed STI levers have a definite lifespan, but if they're still
working, great! Strange thing about them is that they tend to die if they're
not used. Sometimes PowerLube will bring them back to life.

BB is standard english thread, seat tube is 34.9mm if I recall correctly.
Seatpost size is 27.2mm and yes, you want to be careful with the seat
collar, because if it breaks, the frame will require replacement. They used
to do repairs to them (replace the seat lug), but I don't think they have
the parts for that anymore.

Don't worry about the skinny seat stays, the bike still climbs & handles
nicely. If everything checks out, it's definitely worth putting a carbon
fork on it.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

FS:Trek 2300 SS Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 December 5th 06 12:10 AM
1998 trek 2300 chad Racing 2 May 15th 05 03:56 AM
FS: Trek 2300 single speed Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 November 25th 04 12:50 AM
Trek 2300 Decals Nige UK 2 April 28th 04 02:38 AM
Trek 2300 or Cannondale R1000 or other? Roger W General 22 March 26th 04 12:44 AM