Riding

Old June 10th 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Riding

Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see. At least there is a bicycle shop on the way back where I can get a new chain if necessary. And since I have another waxed chain when I get back I will install that on my Eddy and put the new Connex on the Airborne after cleaning and waxing it. I'm sure there must be a proper quick link in the Connex box. Those are reusable forever. Unlike the KMC or PNC quick links which are supposed to be one installation only.
Old June 10th 21, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

You know, there is a limit screw on your front derailleur that prevents you from throwing the chain off. You might want to adjust that.

The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see.

How does that even happen? If it were a Shimano chain, at least you could use pins so you didn't have a bunch of dopey quick links.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 10th 21, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:17:22 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

You know, there is a limit screw on your front derailleur that prevents you from throwing the chain off. You might want to adjust that.
The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see.

How does that even happen? If it were a Shimano chain, at least you could use pins so you didn't have a bunch of dopey quick links.

Jay, have you ever actually adjusted the front derailleur yourself? If you had you would know that the precise angle of the front derailleur is critical and difficult to tell if you don't do them very often. The same position that halts all of the noise from the chain position might be the position from which it will overshift the chain.

Shimano pins are no more reliable than quick links. That is why KMC recommends quick links and they make chains FAR better than Shimano in my experience.
Old June 10th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:22:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:17:22 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

You know, there is a limit screw on your front derailleur that prevents you from throwing the chain off. You might want to adjust that.
The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see.

How does that even happen? If it were a Shimano chain, at least you could use pins so you didn't have a bunch of dopey quick links.

Jay, have you ever actually adjusted the front derailleur yourself?

Yes, and apparently, I do a better job than you because I don't leave the house worried that I'm going to drop my chain off the big ring. The small ring, yes -- chain suck or dropping off the small ring is sometimes hard to control depending on terrain, but with the big ring, you just adjust the limit screw. And getting the "precise angle" of the FD is not rocket science, but if you're having problems, go to the Park site or YouTube for instruction. BTW, my ho-made chain-suck protectors on my Norco: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KKHkV32f9sR5gUNQ6 Thermoformed Kydex.

Shimano pins are no more reliable than quick links. That is why KMC recommends quick links and they make chains FAR better than Shimano in my experience.

Shimano pins don't look stupid if you have three of them holding your chain together. Three quick links looks pretty stupid.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 10th 21, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/10/2021 10:17 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

You know, there is a limit screw on your front derailleur that prevents you from throwing the chain off. You might want to adjust that.

The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see.

How does that even happen? If it were a Shimano chain, at least you could use pins so you didn't have a bunch of dopey quick links.

"How does that even happen?"

'Mistakes were made'

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 10th 21, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:58:48 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

My Habanero does not throw chains off big ring and normally if set correct this should not happen. However sometimes as mentioned J I believe, the small ring will dump the chain. It has not happened to be ever on the Habanero in 25,000 miles but my Wilier would still sometimes dump the small ring. I installed chain catcher and that ended if for good a beautiful little gadget that does not weight anything really.
Deacon mark
Old June 10th 21, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:44:57 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I don't drop my chain off of the small ring because I use a Dog Fang. That means the only place it can drop is from the big ring from the limit screw bedding in deeper. But it didn't. What did happen was the Rear Derailleur Large Cog limit screw bedded in tighter and 2/3rd of the way into the ride overshifted the large cog. Because of the Campy wheels absolutely no damage done. It only required putting it back on and putting a quarter turn on the adjuster screw so that it wouldn't over shift though that allowed the gears to skip a little in the larger cogs.

As for quick links looking pretty stupid, that must be why it is so difficult to find a quick link on a chain. I couldn't even find them on my gold KMC ultra light chain until I was breaking the broken links out. And these days even Shimano includes a quick link as well as three pins.
Old June 10th 21, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:48:51 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
[...]

If you set the front derailleur up exactly right it won't overshift the large ring. But in order to have absolutely dead quiet shifting with no dragging at all in any cog, you have to set it up exactly correct. Then if the limit screws bed in tighter, which they normally do, you have to reset the limit screws. Of course that is AFTER your ride or perhaps during it if you want to stop and reset the limit screws.
Old June 10th 21, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:23:48 PM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

The limit screws have nothing to do with adjusting in an indexed front system. They are safety measures for knuckleheads.

Lou
Old June 10th 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

What are you talking about Lou? You use Shimano don't you? Campy doesn't work that way. If you don't limit the motion of the front derailleur with the limit screws it can throw the chain all the way out to the pedal. Tell me why the **** there are limit screws if you think that somehow the chain would never come off the chain rings? ALL front derailleurs have limit screws on them and if you believe that you don't need them you are the knucklehead..