Is Nashbar done?

Old May 31st 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default Is Nashbar done?

Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed desperate
for me to buy a bike, very unusual. Is it desperate times for bike
shops, it seems to me that lots of "civilians" so to speak are buying
those bikes with balloon tires as I've seen a lot of those on the road
lately. Maybe the guy who's been riding for years, either a mtb or road
bike might be cutting back on purchases during this depression, but the
"civilians" are now discovering bikes and trying to find an alternative
to the car, or a way to stay healthy due health insurance costs. True
or false impression?
Old May 31st 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist[_3_]

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed desperate
for me to buy a bike, very unusual. Is it desperate times for bike
shops, it seems to me that lots of "civilians" so to speak are buying
those bikes with balloon tires as I've seen a lot of those on the road
lately. Maybe the guy who's been riding for years, either a mtb or road
bike might be cutting back on purchases during this depression, but the
"civilians" are now discovering bikes and trying to find an alternative
to the car, or a way to stay healthy due health insurance costs. True
or false impression?

Maybe he's tired of your rambling, trollish ways and kept trying to sell
you a bike to get you out of his store.

OTOH, if LBSs had to depend on rbt-ians to stay in business...
Old May 31st 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aeek

On Sun, 31 May 2009 07:43:51 -0500, Carl Sundquist
wrote:

OTOH, if LBSs had to depend on rbt-ians to stay in business...

I only spend money in 4 LBSs, um and groundeffect and PBK
Old May 31st 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 31, 5:28*am, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Nashbar's site is working fine for me.

If they were to close, they would have a redirector pointing you to
performancebike.com, with whom they share a parent company. That's
what happened when Supergo.com closed. That parent company isn't
likely to go under anytime soon; PBS is currently opening new stores.

A more sudden crisis usually results in immediate store closings, with
a retrenchment to web sales. The website would be the last thing to
go.
Old May 31st 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Crescentius Vespasianus schreef:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed desperate
for me to buy a bike, very unusual. Is it desperate times for bike
shops, it seems to me that lots of "civilians" so to speak are buying
those bikes with balloon tires as I've seen a lot of those on the road
lately. Maybe the guy who's been riding for years, either a mtb or road
bike might be cutting back on purchases during this depression, but the
"civilians" are now discovering bikes and trying to find an alternative
to the car, or a way to stay healthy due health insurance costs. True
or false impression?

Which country are we talking about here?

Lou
Old May 31st 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Sun, 31 May 2009 05:28:46 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:

Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

If a business's phone is out of service for a day, do you think
they've closed?

Old May 31st 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On May 31, 8:28*am, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed desperate
for me to buy a bike, very unusual. *

My LBS has been so busy lately, I've seem them dealing with people
just getting parts as a sort of "express checkout" so we can bypass
the people lined up with new bikes.
Old May 31st 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On May 31, 6:28*am, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed desperate
for me to buy a bike, very unusual. *Is it desperate times for bike
shops, it seems to me that lots of "civilians" so to speak are buying
those bikes with balloon tires as I've seen a lot of those on the road
lately. *Maybe the guy who's been riding for years, either a mtb or road
bike might be cutting back on purchases during this depression, but the
"civilians" are now discovering bikes and trying to find an alternative
to the car, or a way to stay healthy due health insurance costs. *True
or false impression?

dumbass.

Not my usual answer but it sumarizes perfectly well the 5 previous
Nashbar is still going and they have a good amount of reasonably
inexpensive stuff. However, for inexpensive tires nobody beats
probikekit with free shipping.
Old May 31st 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°

Lou Holtman wrote:
Crescentius Vespasianus schreef:
Haven't been able to get the Nashbar web site up today, is it computer
problems on their side, or have they closed?

Went to an LBS and bought a couple der cables, and they seemed
desperate for me to buy a bike, very unusual. Is it desperate times
for bike shops, it seems to me that lots of "civilians" so to speak
are buying those bikes with balloon tires as I've seen a lot of those
on the road lately. Maybe the guy who's been riding for years, either
a mtb or road bike might be cutting back on purchases during this
depression, but the "civilians" are now discovering bikes and trying
to find an alternative to the car, or a way to stay healthy due health
insurance costs. True or false impression?

Which country are we talking about here?

Lou

USA?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007