Pro gearing - 34x32?!

Old September 6th 11, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

Default Pro gearing - 34x32?!

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...angliru_191093

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!
Old September 6th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article

,

bfd wrote:

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...angliru_191093

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

I run a 12-13-14-15-17-19-21 rear cluster on the utility bike
with a triple chainring and a short cage derailleur.
Low gear on the other bike is 24/23.

--
Michael Press
Old September 6th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 6, 10:38*am, bfd wrote:
At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...vuelta-tech-ge...

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

"At one time, a flag got wrapped around my brake lever. Fortunately,
it released. I thought I was going to go down. That’s what’s so great
about the sport is that the public can get so close to the spectacle.”

I'd bet that's not quite what was going through his head at the time
it was happening.
DR
Old September 7th 11, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 6, 9:38 am, bfd wrote:
At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...vuelta-tech-ge...

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ru&btnG=Google
+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

"... barbarity."
Old September 7th 11, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Phil W Lee wrote:

Michael Press considered Tue, 06 Sep 2011
12:51:45 -0700 the perfect time to write:

In article

,

bfd wrote:

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...angliru_191093

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

I run a 12-13-14-15-17-19-21 rear cluster on the utility bike
with a triple chainring and a short cage derailleur.
Low gear on the other bike is 24/23.

Without information on the gradients, loads and prevailing weather,
that's just a set of numbers though.

Loaded tourers typically need sub 1-1 gearing.
Everybody else except racers can do very well
with the type of gearing I run, regardless of
gradients and prevailing weather. If you have
the power and energy reserve needed to get up
a particular grade, the type of gearing I use
will get you to the top.

--
Michael Press
Old September 7th 11, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Sep 6, 1:28*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:38*am, bfd wrote:

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...vuelta-tech-ge...

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

"At one time, a flag got wrapped around my brake lever. Fortunately,
it released. I thought I was going to go down. That’s what’s so great
about the sport is that the public can get so close to the spectacle.”

I'd bet that's not quite what was going through his head at the time
it was happening.
DR

I watched the stage a couple of times on Universal Sports, and the
crowds about 2K from the top were all over the road -- a neutral
support moto was stopping to lecture. The mayhem was worse for JJ
because he was a local/national hero. I would have been yelling at
the crowd to get back, if I had the breath.

The motos were a nightmare, too, because the bike speeds were so low
that they were wobbling around trying to stay near the riders and
ultimately getting in the way. It amazes me that there are not more
collisions between the riders and the support vehicles.

There were a lot of close-ups of rear wheels and cogs, and it looked
like a lot of 26-28s (i.e. no pie plates that I could see), but I
guess I was wrong. It is interesting how climbing has changed over
the last 20 years -- spinning versus agonizing grinding up hills.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 7th 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sep 6, 10:38*am, bfd wrote:

[...]

Yep, I just thought I was a ****e climber as I couldn't use the same
54" gear to climb at the same rate as other riders. A drop in gearing
though not only makes me able to match those riders, but also to
accelerate away from them. My bike, although heavier, is more
suitable for climbing (fatter tyre, stiffer rim, fatter spokes bigger
sprockets). If you think something is swaying underneath you when you
are climbing, it probably is. A solid back wheel makes for faster
climbing, particularly out of the saddle, with less effort. My
climbing ability can be so markedly better than other riders, I have
to restrain myself when I am out of the saddle as it is difficult not
to break contact.
Old September 10th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 9/6/2011 2:51 PM, Michael Press wrote:
In article

,

wrote:

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...angliru_191093

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

I run a 12-13-14-15-17-19-21 rear cluster on the utility bike
with a triple chainring and a short cage derailleur.
Low gear on the other bike is 24/23.

The above information is useless unless the diameter of the inflated
tire on the drive-wheel is provided.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 10th 11, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

On 9/6/2011 9:48 PM, thirty-six wrote:

Yep, I just thought I was a ****e climber as I couldn't use the same
54" gear to climb at the same rate as other riders. A drop in gearing
though not only makes me able to match those riders, but also to
accelerate away from them. My bike, although heavier, is more
suitable for climbing (fatter tyre, stiffer rim, fatter spokes bigger
sprockets). If you think something is swaying underneath you when you
are climbing, it probably is. A solid back wheel makes for faster
climbing, particularly out of the saddle, with less effort. My
climbing ability can be so markedly better than other riders, I have
to restrain myself when I am out of the saddle as it is difficult not
to break contact.

butbutbut, it is not manly to use anything smaller than a 39T/23T!

Of course, back in the day, Real Menâ„¢ had 52T/48T chain-rings and
13T-19T freewheels.

Old September 10th 11, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

wrote:

At the Vuelta this year, the winning rider used a 34x32 gearing to
get up the Angliru, which is arguably the hardest climb in the world:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...angliru_191093

Makes me glad I got a medium cage as a 32t or even 34t cassette cog
is not far off in the future....Good Luck!

I run a 12-13-14-15-17-19-21 rear cluster on the utility bike
with a triple chainring and a short cage derailleur.
Low gear on the other bike is 24/23.

The above information is useless unless the diameter of the inflated
tire on the drive-wheel is provided.

99.9% of the cyclist now what he means.

Lou

Gearing doceave Unicycling 16 August 26th 06 05:26 PM
Hub Gearing [email protected] Techniques 4 July 20th 06 04:03 AM
gearing up a uni? Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 0 May 7th 06 04:11 AM
53 X 16 vs. 50 X 15 gearing Steve Karpik Techniques 11 September 16th 05 11:21 PM
53/39/24 with 12-27 gearing. What do you think? dennis Techniques 15 September 10th 05 03:24 AM