Bike suggestion

Old July 12th 04, 09:28 PM
Josh

Default Bike suggestion

Greetings,

I am thinking of purchasing a bike. I like the hybrid type, more
comfortable
than a road bike and more efficient than a mountain one. I do not
need flashy features, and would rather have my money well spent on
quality and reliability.
For example, I do not really need 21 speeds. Could you suggest
makes/models in the $200-300 range? Do you think buying used is a
good idea?

have a good day.

-Josh
Old July 12th 04, 10:55 PM
John Smith

"Josh" wrote in message
om...

I am thinking of purchasing a bike. I like the hybrid type, more
comfortable
than a road bike and more efficient than a mountain one. I do not

Have you actually ridden a road bike? I keep hearing people say "I want
something more comfortable than a road bike". I am not sure what they
mean. A good road bike has multiple hand positions. It can be ridden
nearly uprate or, if riding into the wind, down in a crouch. Its faster
and more manuverible and easier to ride.

Old July 13th 04, 01:24 AM
Actually34

Or a touring bike, which can often accommodate wider tires, fenders and a frame
with a little more give.

Old July 13th 04, 03:35 AM
El Calaverada

Hey Josh,
One type of bike I never recommend to folks are hybrids. They're supposed to
be a cross between a mountain and road bike but don't do either very well.
If you're gonna do some miles strictly on pavement then go with the road
bike. For versatility I'd recommend a mountain bike. They're far more
versatile and durable than a hybrid. I commute daily on a mountain bike,
roughly 16 miles round trip. I've outfitted it with 26x2.0 slicks, nice bar
ends, fenders, and a Delta rack. I used to have a hybrid and hated it,
mostly because of the bike's limitations and lack of available options like
tire types and sizes.

As for the number of gears, most people rarely use all their available gears
but it's really nice to have them if you need them. I did a tour through
central Virginia (very hilly) a few years back and really wished I had a
triple ring setup on my road bike.

I have three bikes and they're all Giants, but I'm partial to them. Most
manufacturers make good bikes in all price ranges. It's a personal taste
thing. Buying a used bike is an excellent idea especially if you're not sure
exactly what you're looking for. I've bought many used. However, if you're
not an experienced rider I definately recommend going to a good bike shop.
They'll make sure you get one that fits you, even if it's used. That's very
important. I hope you find a bike you like and have a great time with it.
Take care -

om...

Old July 13th 04, 05:07 AM
Daniel Crispin

om...

Josh wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

I am thinking of purchasing a bike. I like the hybrid type, more
comfortable
than a road bike and more efficient than a mountain one. I do not
need flashy features, and would rather have my money well spent on
quality and reliability.
For example, I do not really need 21 speeds. Could you suggest
makes/models in the $200-300 range? Do you think buying used is a
good idea?

have a good day.

-Josh

I have an hybrid. I have to agree that the lack of hand positions is a
problem.

I fixed it partially by adding "horn" type handles on the bar ends. It's
not as bad
but when I use those I do not have access to speed controls or brakes which
make their usefullness limited in town. I am planing a 3 days trip so I
might use them
more then.

For the rest, not much to say. I don't know how I lived without a
suspension
I have one on the fork and one on the saddle and I love them both. Wheels
are
not as tough as mountain bikes but I have given them a little abuse with
holes I could
not avoid and to my surprise no damage on them.

You are probably right that road bikes are better if you want to do
travelling and
mountain bikes if you need it in town but I can't really complain about my
bike.

200-300$ seems a bit low for good quality tough... used you could probably
find
something decent.

Old July 13th 04, 10:09 PM
Josh

Thanks for the replies.

I saw the Giant Sedona ST, Gary Fisher Advance, Capitola, Tarpon for sale
between $200 and $300. Do you think their build quality is good enough?

I did not ride road bikes before. I just assume the riding position is
not compfortable.

Josh

Old July 14th 04, 04:41 PM
Ed

Raleigh also gives a lot for the money.
I'm happy with my Schwinn Voyageur with SRAM dualdrive. A great commuter
bike and for short rides. The dualdrive lets you shift while standing
still, simplifies the shifting, less mechanism to jam or jump. Costs a
little more for that.
Ed

om...

Old July 16th 04, 01:08 AM
Fx199

Subject: Bike suggestion
From: "El Calaverada"
Date: 7/12/2004 9:35 PM US Eastern Standard Time
[...]

What kind of bike would be recommended for riding a lot of dirt roads?
I was thinking about getting a hybrid to ride them..?
Old July 16th 04, 04:28 AM
Mike Kruger

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the replies.

I saw the Giant Sedona ST, Gary Fisher Advance, Capitola, Tarpon for sale
between $200 and $300. Do you think their build quality is good enough?

I did not ride road bikes before. I just assume the riding position is
not compfortable.

My daughter (17) got a Sedona last year and likes it. It seems well made.
Other manufacturers will have similar models.

On my daughter's bike, we swapped out the standard tires in favor of slicks,
because the bike is ridden almost entirely on pavement (and the rest is
crushed limestone). This is a common practice and you should expect only to
pay the difference in the price of the tires.

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM