St. Edwards Park MUni ride

Old February 9th 04, 06:12 AM
harper

Default St. Edwards Park MUni ride

Today we had a great turn out for a MUni ride in St. Edwards State Park
in Juanita, WA. Eight riders, two of them new ones. Our group of both
MUni and Coker riders continues to grow. Today we had Sabin, George
Pendergast, Irene Genelin, John Childs, Tom Jackson, Tom and Miles
Blackwood, and me. I have photos in a gallery at:

'8 Feb MUni Ride' (http://staff.washington.edu/gharper/MUni8Feb2004/)

the last one being a group drop off of a loading dock at the seminary.
Fortunately for you, I was the one taking photos so I'm only in a couple
of them, but the SH MUni with new Kooka cranks and Wellgo B-27 pedals is
at

'SH MUni with Kookas and Wellgos' (http://tinyurl.com/3akpq)

and is worth checking out.

Highlights of the ride:

Meeting George and having him ride with us; standard unicyclist...very
cool. Watching Miles complete his longest MUni ride ever. Being schooled
by Sabin on ALL of the stunts. Watching Tom Blackwood hop up a flight of
four stairs, land the top and ride away. Watching JC and Irene do the
340 foot vertical climb on the steep, lake trail without falling off
once. Not being hit by any trees that Tom Jackson pushed over.

Thanks for the ride.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"In the unlikely event of someones unicycling demise, one should say 'It
was an amazing display of unicycling skill and daring, with a rather
unfortunate outcome'. Or something to that effect." - Scott Wallis

"Ugh, the Harpers; The worst neighbours in the world" - Tony Micelli

Old February 9th 04, 06:25 AM
harper

We have posted descriptions of St. Edwards State Park and Big Finn Hill
park in Juanita before. It's an old seminary school surrounded by wooded
park areas along the northeast shore of Lake Washington. Some of the
photos are of trail areas close to the roadside. Much of the ride is
deep in wooded areas as can be seen in the ladder-bridge and log
skinnies area. There are good shots of Sabin doing drops off of a 4.5
foot statue platform in front of the seminary. My favorite sequence is
the repeated shots of Tom Jackson watching everybody else go over a
logjam. Or maybe the several shots of Miles lying on the ground. We
worked that boy today.

Old February 9th 04, 06:27 AM
andrew_carter

Looks like a great place to ride.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!
* A friend of mine found us Magura HS-11's for about $80 AUD each second
hand...I'm getting a brake for my muni! *

Old February 9th 04, 06:40 AM
Jim_Rob

Looks like a great time was had by all. Here in Colorado they don't let
us build that kind of stuff in our state parks.

--
Jim_Rob - Old Man

TTFN

JR

"Riding uphill on a unicycle sucks", Walt, Nationally-ranked singlespeed
MTB racer
Jim_Rob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3824

Old February 9th 04, 06:54 AM
john_childs

Jim_Rob wrote:
*Looks like a great time was had by all. Here in Colorado they don't
let us build that kind of stuff in our state parks. *

That stuff is not built on the state park property.
The structures are built on land that is right next to the state park,
but is not actually part of the park.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old February 9th 04, 08:50 AM
Unirene

Awesome. Thanks ThunderHooves for posting a brief ride report. The
pictures turned out wonderful.
I just developed some of the photos I took today and there are some
potential winners... stay tuned.

--Irene

--
Unirene
Unirene's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/72

Old February 9th 04, 09:13 AM
Unirene

I forgot to mention my after ride shower. Sometimes if my unicycle is
dirty enough I will take it into the shower with me to clean it off. I
live in residence halls at the UW, so it is not like I am dirtying up a
small beautiful bathroom. I wore the pants I was wearing today as well.
Usually when I shower with my Uni, no one else is around. Well, today
there were three girls. Two before I began and one right after. As I was
wheeling it back to my room, I thought I could escape the bathroom
without her mentioning anything, but then she looked at me with the most
confused look and I explained the awesome and muddy ride I did today.

What a hoot. The people here must think I am a little strange... but
hey, my unicycle is so clean I could eat off of it right now.

Old February 9th 04, 02:38 PM
GILD

Unirene wrote:
*I forgot to mention my after ride shower. Sometimes if my unicycle is
dirty enough I will take it into the shower with me to clean it off.
*

i recently found this to be the best way to wash the rope-bag u use in
climbing as well

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

'SPACESHIP EARTH' (http://www.therainforestsite.com/home)

Namaste!
Dave

Old February 9th 04, 03:49 PM
chirokid

Harper, those were some great pictures. It looks like fun was had by
all the riders.

My favorite photo is the one of Miles, asleep on the ground. Then, a
few pictures later, he's sleeping again. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

I am the proud NEW owner of SuperSHJag29er!!!
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old February 9th 04, 04:00 PM
UniBrier

harper wrote:
*Sabin doing drops off of a 4.5 foot statue platform*

That got my attention. Sabin was riding the profile frame with the jagur
built wheel on a Suzue hub.I was wondering how that hub would take a
drop that big until I realized the seat bumper was the wrong color and
Sabin was doing the drop on Jackson's KH Pro.

Was your camera not working when Jackson did that drop too? I figure
after Sabin made it look easy Tom would be the next to try.

Wish I was there. Abby, John, and I schooled _everybody_ at the
Shoreline Sk8 Park yesterday.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek ~ A one track mind in search of the never-ending sine
wave.

Sure you can walk the whole track, but then it's not MUni, its WUni. ~
Rowan regarding being hard-core.

Actually I think it's more of a WUni. ~ John Foss regarding Sponge Bob’s
water giraffe.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Another Santa Barbara Muni ride nathan Unicycling 2 January 28th 04 12:59 AM
Reinvent your normal MUni ride Sofa Unicycling 9 November 25th 03 02:35 PM
Truckee Muni Ride johnfoss Unicycling 2 September 9th 03 11:12 PM
Another great Muni ride... chirokid Unicycling 3 September 4th 03 02:34 AM