Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Old October 6th 03, 11:55 PM
Phil Holman

Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Here is a condensed preview of the numbers from the PC testing. The
study was conducted by Mark D. Luttrell, Dept of Health, Sport and
Exercise Science, University of Kansas and Jeffrey A. Pottteiger, Dept
of Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies, Miami University.

The effects of 6 weeks of training with PCs was examined for 6 cyclists
(+6 with regular cranks) to determine changes in V02 max, AT, HR, V0,
and RER during a 1 hour submaximal ride (~69% V02 max).

Here are the numbers for Heartrate (HR) and Gross Efficiency (GE) before
and after training.

Time (minutes)

PC Group 15 30 45 60

HR Pre 154 155 156 157

Post 141 140 141 141

GE (%)Pre 21.5 21.3 21.6 21.5

Post 23.1 23.0 23.6 23.9

Control Group

HR Pre 166 165 166 163

Post 159 159 159 160

GE (%) Pre 21.3 20.8 20.8 21.2

Post 21.8 21.5 21.3 21.0

Significant is the 2% increase in Gross Efficiency of the PC group.

Phil Holman

Old October 7th 03, 01:27 AM
RACER X

HOLE MAN,

Why would a person who wants to find out whether or not POWER CRANKS are
better than regular cranks introduce the highly variable noise that this
study does?

I could just as easily conclude from this data set that the reason why it
showed a 2% increase in "gross effiency" is because the subjects tested
simply had an additional 6 weeks worth of training under their belt. In no
way, shape, or form, could one conclude that the extra 2% gain was due
solely to the use of Power Cranks. In fact, the subjects claimed 2% gain
could have just as easily have come from a 3-4% increase in fitness output
coupled to a decrease of 1-2% (caused by the Power Cranks), thereby
resulting in a 2% net gain.

Also, no reputable scientist claims confidance in a study with an "n"
number of only 6 subjects.

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.

It was a nice infomercial though. One question: do Power Cranks come with
a ****ing bucket of OxyClean?

Take care,

Racer X

Old October 7th 03, 01:53 AM
Carl Sundquist

"RACER X" wrote in message

In addition, the University of Kansas and Miami University are both party
schools and any "scientific study" out of these overglorified frat houses
probably aren't going to be appearing in Nature anytime soon.

I'm confident that people in southwestern Ohio laugh at dumbasses like you quite often.

http://www.miami.muohio.edu/about_miami/index.cfm

Dr. Jeffrey Aaron Potteiger
Classification: faculty
Title: Chair & Professor
UniqueID: potteija
E-Mail Address:
delivered to

Division: VP - Provost
Department: Phys Educ Hlth Sport Studies
Campus Address: Phys Educ Hlth & Sprt Studies
Phillips Hall, 106B
Campus Phone: +1 513 529 2700

The party school is the University of Miami.

Old October 7th 03, 02:35 AM
RACER X

Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of fact, I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.

And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list. Now look what
you've done.

At least the U. of Miami has a football program and some hot cheerleaders, many with thong
tanlines.

Ohio can't even keep their ****ing power grid up, let alone conduct studies of anything
involving work over time.

Q.I.D.

Racer X

Old October 7th 03, 02:43 AM
RACER X

Dude,

I already wrote the only review that matters. Why try to reinvent the wheel?

Racer X

Old October 7th 03, 02:56 AM
Nick Burns

"RACER X" wrote in message
Fair enough, but it's still a party school. And I stand by all my

criticisms of that
study.

Little if any damage was done to my credibility by not knowing that some

school (mis)named
Miami University was located in southwestern Ohio. As a matter of fact,

I think the name
of the college is intentionally designed to deceive applicants into

thinking the beach is
only a 5 minute drive from their dorm.

Holy ****! You think people would enroll in a school before confirming which
state it is located?

And I also hereby add the entire state of Ohio and all its colleges and

universities
contained within its state boundary to the official party school list.

Now look what
you've done.

Any college in the United States younger than 200 years is likely a party
school.

Old October 7th 03, 04:14 AM
Sam

"RACER X" wrote in message
[...]

Remember, (t)OSU beat UM back in January (married to a Buckeye alum).

Old October 7th 03, 04:15 AM
Sam

"Nick Burns" wrote in message
m...

"RACER X" wrote in message
[...]

Even some older than 200 years--University of Georgia and University of
North Carolina can party well (both have good to excellent academic
credentials within state universities)