Homeless in Seattle

Old April 25th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Homeless in Seattle

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 7:54:30 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
" writes:

Did a simple Google search on the makeup of the homeless population.
My search results said 49% were WHITE. I think we can safely say
whites/Caucasians are not illegal immigrants. My results also said

How the hell can we say that? I have been personally acquainted with an
English illegal immigrant and I can assure you she was white. Nice
girl, overstayed her student visa by quite a few years. Also knew a
family of Moldovans that would have been illegal immigrants if their
paperwork had not come through -- definitively caucasian.

But they are WHITE illegal immigrants. They don't count of course. Haven't you heard Trump yipping and yapping endlessly about all the illegals down in Texas coming from Mexico? Actually Guatemala, Venezuela, Honduras, etc. But they are all Mexicans of course. Listen to every news story about immigrants. They ALWAYS talk about the Mexican illegal immigrants. Every other day there is a story about some white woman in a fast food restaurant screaming at a worker to go home and get out of the country. Maybe these workers are immigrants, legal or illegal, or are born in America citizens. But they ain't white. Therefore they are immigrants.

Hey! Texas became a US state and did not continue as part of Mexico because of immigration of US people to the Mexican province (? State?) that would become Texas. Things are just being reversed now. LOL

Cheers
Old April 25th 19, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 5:03:05 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/24/2019 5:49 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 9:48:39 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 8:48:08 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/22/2019 10:42 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 22:10:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/22/2019 8:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/22/2019 6:15 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:49:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:33:02 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 12:01:42 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 9:48:53 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Some posters here have gone on and on about homeless people, and
specifically homeless people in Seattle.

Here are interesting details about one of them:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ss-in-seattle/

--
- Frank Krygowski

This is pretty much the same in every single state controlled by
Democrats. It is a sickness that cannot be cured.

So the staggering number of homeless in Texas can be cured? Why is
homelessness so low in Bernie Sanders' home state of Vermont?
https://www.usich.gov/tools-for-action/map/#fn[]=1400&fn[]=2900&fn[]=6000&fn[]=9900&fn[]=13500

-- Jay Beattie.

Come on Jay, Vermont has a relatively tiny population and it is a
state that makes Washington state look like Hawaii. And yet Vermont
has about half the RATE of homelessness as Washington. Oregon with a
little better weather conditions than Washington has a little worse
homeless rate.

You can check out the weather in those areas - while Vermont has bad
weather in the winter, relatively New Hampshire has a long sea coast
heated by the Gulf Stream and the slightly better weather translates
into more homeless.

Err... New Hampshire's "long seacoast" is 18 miles long :-)
The average daily highs in that area are (average December, January
and February) 35 degrees (F) and nightly lows are 12 degrees (F)..

It is strange, growing up in New Hampshire there just didn't seem to
have been any "homeless". There were "Hobo's", who were homeless, but
they migrated to more hospitable climes during the winters.

more homeless update:

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/s...-poop-problem/

To paraphrase Mark Twain (or perhaps someone else): Just like the
weather, everybody talks about the homeless problem but nobody does
anything about it.

Apparently the homeless have existed in the U.S., essentially since
the place was first settled and substantial numbers of the
"immigrants" were actually Vagabonds, an English term to describe
those without a job or place to live. According to:
http://www.earlyamericancrime.com/co...ges/overview-2

"From the time of the first settlers to the American Revolution, close
to three quarters of all immigrants to the thirteen American colonies
arrived on American shores without their freedom, coming over as
slaves, convicts, or indentured servants. Even during the seventeenth
century only 33 percent of immigrants to America were free"

Of course, once an indentured servant completed his indenture he might
be given land, there was plenty of it about, and with the ownership of
"property" gain the privilege of voting.

I suspect that the modern "homeless" may well be simply a part of the
urbanization of the country. When a large majority of the population
lived on farms there was always work to be had but when the big move
to the cities (where the money is) there were fewer unskilled jobs
available. Than came the decentralization of factories and cities like
Detroit almost literally died with the loss of work.

Now of course, with computerization there is even fewer jobs available
and more of them require specialized technical knowledge that just
isn't available to all and sundry. There are, for example, some 50,000
licensed taxi drivers in New York City. With the advent of driverless
vehicles some 50,000 might be out of a job. Is there any work
available for them?

I agree, that's probably one of the roots of the problem. And I don't
see it getting better.

Our economic system generates more profits to those who reduce expenses,
and employees are seen as expenses. In a three shift factory, one robot
can easily replace three workers, and probably more. It can often pay
for itself quite quickly even without the benefits of more consistent
operation, better quality control, etc.

But even the most charitable auto manufacturer (for a wildly theoretical
example) couldn't say "I'm not going to use robots. I'm going to
continue giving people jobs by doing things by hand." If the company did
that, it would soon go bankrupt.

The problem isn't just robots, though. It's all through commerce.
Grocery stores and hardware stores near me have more "self checkout"
stations than cashier stations. I no longer get to call a company and
have a receptionist direct my call; instead, I listen to a minute of
menu choices and try to navigate to my intended contact by pressing
buttons myself, or by shouting into their voice recognition system.

This trend even infects volunteer work. Our club newsletter used to be
done by a team of friends working at someone's kitchen table, doing
literal cut-and-pasting. (The newsletter won a national award back in
those days.) Now it can be done only by the few club members with
Desktop Publishing experience.

But take heart. The rich are getting richer at an ever faster pace, so
all is not lost. :-/

We have historically low unemployment and tying homelessness to the non-availability of jobs is difficult. A more serious problem is that existing jobs do not pay enough to keep up with escalating housing prices. You have to wonder, however, how many homeless are economically displaced versus drug addled or insane. Very few of the homeless I see are simply down on their luck and unable to find a cheap apartment. It's not Hooverville out there -- it looks more like a scene out of the Walking Dead. I have no idea what one does for those people within the confines of modern morality.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, I agree with you but I see several illegal families to a home. This allows them to pay a great deal more for housing than Americans who will not share housing as easily.

Here's he problem: the jobs that a large number of illegals are capable of doing are much better done with automation. If we did not have this cheap labor force we would convert assembly lines etc. to automation.

Really? Please point me to the automatic MACHINE that picks fruit trees such as orange, apple, grape vines. Or tomatoes. California and Florida and many fruit/vegetable states are heavily dependent on immigrants (legal or illegal) to carry on their economy. And don't forget the groundskeepers and cleaning immigrants working at Trumps's Florida golf course. Do machines automatically cut grass, rake leaves, clean bathrooms, make beds? Please point them out.

The Democrat claim that we need a cheap labor force is a farce. Gavin Newsom going to Central America and telling people there that California needs more labor should end up with him in prison.

As with the fast food industry, robotization is coming
although it will probably never obviate all low-skill
handwork. Serious money is pouring into development and in
today's paper I see that Brasil's recent surge in Arabica
coffee production is due in some part to automated bean
harvesters (developed in Brasil) , which work 24 hours
unlike humans.

https://www.public.harvestai.com/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/robots-...les-1429781404

https://www.fraunhofer.de/en/press/r...uliflower.html

of specific interset to California:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...all-180953794/

And also note that Vietnam captured a huge chunk of cashew
production in just a few years due to their superior
Vietnamese-developed automated systems.

Like it or not, the robots are coming. Not for everything
but not none either.
and so on.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Nuts are pretty easy to harvest with very simple automation. We would pull a tarp around the Earth at the bottom of the tree and the tractor had a crank arm on it. We would attach a heavy belt around the tree and to the crank arms. These would shake the hell out of the tree and the ripe nuts would fall down on the tarp. You then gathered the tarp up and emptied it into the wagon that the tractor was pulling. When the wagon was filled we would stick a flag on the next tree to harvest and return to the barn. Here we had a device that looked like a steeply inclined wire conveyor belt. You would put a load in at the bottom and turned the thing on. The walnuts and husks would bounce up the incline. But they couldn't make it clear to the top with the husk on. So they would continue driving up and bouncing down until the broken and dried husk was shaken off. At this point the clean walnut and shell would roll over the top of the conveyor and down a chute into boxes which you could have to change as they got 3/4 full.

Sooner or later you had to clear the debris out of the bottom of the conveyor.

A single person could do this but two or three made it easier. Since families were normally 5 to 10 people in those days there was no need for any outside labor.

You really have to see commercial tomatoes and how they are harvested to believe it. A single plant can have 100 lbs of tomatoes on it and they pull the entire plant since only a very few tomatoes are on top and most of them grow on the underside of the plant. So at the approximate harvest time you pull the entire plant. No one is "picking" tomatoes. I've never seen the machine that separates the tomatoes from the plant but I imagine it is something like a comb.

The tomatoes that they sell in stores are a different breed.

In any case I've never worked on an "industrial farm" but I think that they have a whole lot more automation. There are quite few needs for immigrant labor. And they are a lot more expensive then you might imagine - the farmer supplies housing and food and water subsidies. Then they make a pretty good salary in comparison to what the hell I made washing dishes. Or even the Air Force which was $47/mth to start with and I think when I got out I was making $127/mth.
Old April 25th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 5:06:22 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/24/2019 6:10 PM, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

John B.

I misread that large number of homeless from Massachusetts to New
Hampshire. The homeless ratio is actually very low. Mass. is pretty
surprising so I guess they have some large cities in which they can
seek shelter from the conditions.

I have seen homeless dudes sleeping on the sidewalks of Boston when it
was well below 0F. Sometimes they freeze and die. I know of a few
homeless encampments near me (much more suburban than Boston), and more
that have been broken up. I don't see any of them camping in the woods
during the winter; I'm not sure where they go.

But it is NOTHING like the west coast. San Francisco is the Homeless
city by the bay and LA is incredible. When you can drive for 3 miles
on main streets with each side of the street lined with homeless tent
shelters it makes you want to cry. The real basis for all of this is
illegal immigration.

I have known a fair number of both homeless people and illegal
immigrants. I have never known a homeless illegal immigrant. Being
visibly homeless exposes a person to much more police interaction than any
illegal immigrant would want.

Maybe that's just my idiosyncratic experience.

I think you misunderstand me. Many of these homeless people would be upper-lower class workers and housing prices have been driven so high from population growing much faster than housing, that the price of housing is completely out of reach.

Illegals are far more likely to live several families to a small home. Now a LOT of the illegals are highly skilled manual labor people that are valuable to this country. But are they more valuable than Americans?

I'll repeat an experience I had. I went to put a package in the mail, I got there 5 minutes before the Post Office opened. I was looking around waiting and all of the local signs were in Spanish. There was what appeared to be a homeless person with a shopping cart full of all of her possessions. I had a couple of 5's in my pocket so I went over to give them to her.

She was absolutely crying her heart out. She had just been evicted from her one room apartment so that the illegal owner could put an illegal family in there. To her she had no place to go and nowhere to turn. I was so heartbroken for her I cannot describe it. Jay chimed in the first time that "she has plenty of HHS to turn to." Tell that to a 70 year old obese black woman who has just been kicked out so that the owner could make more money.

I happen to feel people's pain because I was nearly in that position while we were young and before the RR was unionized. Five people living in a 600 sq ft house with coal fireplace for heating and coal stove for cooking. The coal was liberated from the hopper cars on the railroad.

Yesterday my wife had a program on TV called "Tiny House" and it was 600 sq feet for one man and his two boys weekending.

Tom you're not much older than I.
You do not remember railroads before unions.

As far as I can remember the SP was unionized in the Early 50's. Though it might have been the late 40's.
Old April 25th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

" writes:

[...]

It is always a bit comical when people who are little effected by illegal aliens pretend that they are perfectly OK because they don't see the real problems.

It's like Jay driving down from the hill and not even looking right or left in Portland and hence he can criticize anyone complaining about the homeless problem.

What you don't see doesn't hurt you so you can pretend it doesn't exist. Really nice play Russell.
Old April 25th 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

" writes:

[...]

IIRC, that's at least in part how Russia claimed control over Crimea.
That's how they're trying to justify taking the eastern Ukraine. They
moved in lots of Russian language speakers during the USSR years, then
claimed that because people spoke Russian in those territories, the land
rightfully belongs to Russia. And I'm sure people in Estonia are worried
about the same trick. There are lots of Russians living there.

The same tactic has been used elsewhere.

I think the defense the U.S. has is to make sure immigrants assimilate
into our culture, rather than persisting to be thoroughly Guatemalan, or
Mexican, or Ethiopian, or whatever. Certainly, that's what happened with
my ancestors, and with most immigrant families, probably within two
generations.

In fact, it's worked reasonably well even in countries that were
conquered by invaders. The Normans invaded Britain, but within a few
generations they were pretty well British. The British conquered
Ireland, but pretty soon they were marrying into Irish families. Yes,
those invaders made big changes in society - but as long as we don't let
the Guatemalans completely take over, I suspect they'll cause no more
problems than the German-Americans.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 26th 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

" writes:

[...]

WTF are you talking about?

Around here, the homeless are mostly white guys. 81% white to be exact.

https://www.oregon.gov/ohcs/ISD/RA/2...ess-Oregon.pdf

I think they're mostly Croatian and from California -- the tired, the poor, the huddle masses urinating freely. https://stumptownblogger.typepad.com...ff8c970d-800wi

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 26th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

" writes:

[...]

We're a very large country - we have one of everything.

Illegals in Texas may well likely be Mexican or Guatemalan
but in Dearborn they're Arabs, In Brighton Russians, in many
cities Chinese and so on.

I've known (and employed) illegal French Russian and Cuban.
As in any other sphere of humans, there's a lot of
individual variance (of my two Cubans, one is still in
prison, one is a professor of Chemistry).

Good Lord! there are people with names like "Muzi" that are, or were,
illegal Immigrants. Or names ending in "ski" or people with French
sounding names.... or if you get right down to it, people with good
Anglo-Saxon names... if you go back a bit further.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

" writes:

[...]

All four of my grandparents were Resident Aliens over their
whole lives.

Old April 26th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

" writes:

[...]

Texas initially became an independent republic. Almost all of the
settlers fighting for independence were from the US, and there were
certainly forces in the US that wanted to see Texas separated from
Mexico. The US Texicans were in favor of slavery, and many wanted to
set up plantations for themselves. The Texas story caught the public
attention in a way that allowed admitting another slave state without a
corresponding free state.

Slavery was illegal in Mexico at the time, and the US Texicans pledged
not to keep any slaves; they also pledged to convert to Catholicism.
Needless to say, neither pledge was kept. Mexico was willing to let
them in anyway because it was having a very hard time keeping a lid on
the Comanches, who at the time raided freely across almost all of the
southern great plains.

Of course most of the Mexicans in Texas at the time of independence
stayed, although they were discriminated against by their new rulers.
Many of their descendants are still there, particularly in west Texas
and the southern Rio Grande valley.

Old April 26th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

" writes:

[...]

Of course that's what happened in Texas, and the rest of the
southwestern US -- eventually the Yanqui invaders began to learn
Spanish, and accomodated themselves to the local culture. Except for
those damned snowbirds, who are too set in their ways to learn anything.

Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? Rod Speed Social Issues 0 March 1st 11 05:23 PM
Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? Rod Speed Recumbent Biking 0 March 1st 11 05:23 PM
Should America Euthanize the Old People and Homeless? His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign[_2_] UK 0 February 10th 11 10:38 PM
Homeless in Moab paco Unicycling 2 March 20th 06 06:56 AM
Homeless Singletrack [email protected] Mountain Biking 6 December 29th 04 05:55 PM