Queen's Award to Industry

Old April 30th 21, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Queen's Award to Industry

https://cyclingindustry.news/vivacit...or-innovation/

I remember when Raleigh self-adjusting brakes won it. And
promptly died for lack of consumer appeal (even though they
worked well at low cost).
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 30th 21, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/30/2021 9:33 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/vivacit...or-innovation/

I remember when Raleigh self-adjusting brakes won it. And promptly died
for lack of consumer appeal (even though they worked well at low cost).

Huh. I don't remember those. But here it is:

https://youtu.be/zhhobzAFeEo?t=24

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 30th 21, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/30/2021 8:53 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2021 9:33 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/vivacit...or-innovation/

I remember when Raleigh self-adjusting brakes won it. And
promptly died for lack of consumer appeal (even though
they worked well at low cost).

Huh. I don't remember those. But here it is:

https://youtu.be/zhhobzAFeEo?t=24

Some clever engineers brought it into efficient production
but nobody cared. As Peter Drucker noted, "The worst thing
is doing well that which should not have been done at all."

Any service manager could have told them that selling brake
maintenance is difficult, had they asked. People want to
bolt on some 'go fast'.

Anyway back to the Queen's Award, I'm sure we can all recall
'The Next Big Thing" which in multiple iterations quietly
disappeared. The quotable Mr Berra, "It's hard to make
predictions, especially about the future."

Old April 30th 21, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:53:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/30/2021 9:33 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/vivacit...or-innovation/

I remember when Raleigh self-adjusting brakes won it. And promptly died
for lack of consumer appeal (even though they worked well at low cost).

Huh. I don't remember those. But here it is:
https://youtu.be/zhhobzAFeEo?t=24

Here's the patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3759352

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old April 30th 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:17:39 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That program in fact has nothing whatsoever to do with the cyclist. It allows the government to monitor the amount and type of traffic so that they can predict the most efficient traffic flow over any area. I 90% of the traffic on a street was bicycles would you time the lights for bicycles or cars? The more efficient the traffic flow the more likely you are to gain bicycle commuters, the less pollution and the higher overall public health reducing the expenditure on health care. These are the sorts of problems I worked on. This was a very good use of artificial intelligence.

Liz Hatch - DNF Queen MagillaGorilla[_2_] Racing 9 July 23rd 09 03:48 AM
Magilla Queen Bug Racing 3 July 22nd 09 05:23 PM
bicycle industry [email protected] Techniques 1 March 10th 07 05:04 PM
The Pad Queen digigal1 Unicycling 46 May 19th 06 09:49 PM
RR: Heavy Industry (GRS) Corvus Corvax Mountain Biking 13 August 12th 04 05:33 PM